Top Dutch Banks Hit by Cyber Attacks

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jan 29, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By AFP on January 29, 2018

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

And it are not only banks. For example also the Tax Office and the site of DigiD (very important for everything you need to do online in communication with all kind of official websites).
    It's all over in the news. Article in Dutch for example at the site of the public broadcast company NOS:
    https://nos.nl/artikel/2214400-nede...onder-ddos-vuur-wat-weten-we-wel-en-niet.html
    (with some comment from Dave Maasland from ESET NL).
    There are speculations it is some kind of retaliation after the news last week about Dutch Intelligence Service AIVD (I made a small post about that last week in another thread), but so far there seems to be no proof for that.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Ron!

As far as I know at the moment it is indeed not clear at the moment who is/are behind those DDoS attacks. Will we ever know? Only time can tell.

The ZDNet article you quoted, points to a news outlet "NL Times" in which incorrect statements from ESET were given. That seems to be corrected by "NL Times".
    BTW I can't remember that I ever heard of "NL Times".... But maybe that's me...

The (Dutch) NOS article, which link I gave in reply # 2, clearly stated that all security researchers the NOS had contacted at that time were saying that there was no proof that those DDoS attacks were linked to that news about Dutch Intelligence Service AIVD.
    There were small comments from Dave Maasland from ESET NL in that NOS article. Nowhere in his comments in that NOS article were indications of such a link, nowhere.

On 29 January there was also an article at the Dutch blog of Fox-IT (besides an international English blog they have also a Dutch blog):
    https://www.fox-it.com/nl/insights/...en-en-belastingdienst-geraakt-ddos-aanvallen/
    That blog is also saying that there is no proof of such a link.

So, indeed, we don't know yet who is behind those attacks and why.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, did you see the fake security expert on Dutch TV? She said these DDoS attacks were probably done in order to hack ATM machines and the solution would be for the banks to start using block-chain technology LOL.

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.