Top 7 Reasons People Quit Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tgell, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Unfortunately there are no comparable Linux flavor programs.
    (I cannot even find a more reasonably priced M$ platform alternative).
    Cannot disagree. But many of us, because of software restrictions, are stuck in a M$ world.
    I sincerely wish that there were a viable alternative.

Cheers

2. Arup

Arup Guest

See if we are to go by whats mentioned above by Windows fans, then all of us in LIN world must either be delusional or we just don't use our PCs since there is just no app in Lin world. The fact that right after install, we have a functional system with messenger, spell check, office suite and that too with a 600mb download when even with 4GB full of DVD all you get is a basic OS. Makes you wonder whats in a OS that needs a DVD full of code to install.

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

LOL, what happened? Did my posting here destroy your fantasies? Why so mad and angry that while you keep slogging at Linux under the delusion that Windows users are sad and unhappy, we're actually having quite the enjoyable time with our OS?

Did my coming here and correcting some inaccurate comments about Windows bring your whole fantasy world crashing down about you, that you feel the need to resort to repeated personal attacks? So sad. There's really no need be so jealous, or be such a fanboy, but hey, if your delusions help keep you warm at night (some people need their security blankets, I understand), feel free to cling on to them.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not sure what does that have to do with anything here, but I've never disputed that.

Would there happen to be any good 3D CAD programs like Solid Edge and Pro/ENGINEER, by any chance?

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Sadly your tone certainly never indicates that.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

What sort of tone am I supposed to have, then?

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Ask yourself, you are consistenty giving your case of a hardware not working out with Jaunty, in that tone, I can give quite a few instances where Vista didn't work in few of my PCs, that don't mean I should be telling people not to be using Vista, OTOH, I would let them use it and then tell the them the reason to use Lin over Vista.

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Consistently?

Look at the thread title. It reads: "Reasons People Quit Linux". I made a post pertaining to the topic being discussed and explained my reason for it, and that was that. I don't remember consistently spamming my issue at every opportunity, much less claiming that my problem is widespread and/or telling people to not use Linux, and I even said that I was willing to try a different distro (Fedora) when the new version is released to see if the same problem persists. It's certainly not my fault that a few people made independent replies later in this thread citing hardware problems as well.

I think you must be mistaking me for someone else.

9. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Could we please refrain from personal attacks to this thread. The thread title is very clear if you cant keep on topic then please refrain from making a comment. Any further off topic comments will be removed

thank you

nick

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I am not a M$ fan. I am a fan of my applications.
    My OS is merely a platform to run my app.s. Nothing more, nothing less.
    M$, Linux, Mac.. I don't give a rat's tail.
    It's whatever OS that will run the proggies that keep me in business.
    Unfortunately, for now, that remains M$.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Sorry to say, you are not looking hard enough, I have apps that I use in Lin which Win has no equivalent, to each his own, whatever suits you.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Yes, i don't know if pursuing this is OT. I have plenty o'links to share, but no guarantee they do the job. I don't use CAD. I do know though, that version 2004 got a gold rating in WINEHQ.

I guess, before we begin PM'ing :D , we need to establish/differentiate 2 things: format compatibility, and program capabilities.

BTW, download manager is simple: wget 3w's.bestsite.com/awesomedistro.iso . To resume, add '-c' option after wget. It's ridiculous how simple that kind of stuff is, once you start using it. CD burning, GNOME and KDE got you covered. Backup, plenty of options, GUI or CLI, remote or local. In fact, you can practically scratch admin/maintenance stuff. It's just there.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  13. Arup

Arup Guest

Actually when it comes to download managers, mutli get which is in the Jaunty repos and is available at getdeb as well comes the closest to Windows based managers like FDM and Orbit, even it terms of interface.

14. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Not in the least. I just find it an irritant to try to distinguish between legitimate request for help and these tr0lling messages whose only purpose is to spread FUD. You serve no legitimate purpose here.. GET LOST!!!

BTW, you want to call me an attack dog but at least MY motives are honest. Can't say the same for someone who post in a forum for a product they supposedly abhor as much as you do Linux. As I've said many times, you don't find me in the Windoze forum dissing it. You can call me an attack dog all you want. You can't call me a tr0ll because I'm not in the Windoze forum..

Last edited: May 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.