top 100 free programs

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

http://www.webattack.com/topdownloads/fw_top100-3.html

There are a few pretty useful program at this link. It is web attack but I have not seen all of these apps at their regular site. Who knows you might find something you can use and they are all free. :)

2. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey bigc73542, There are lots of good things on the list! Many that I tried and use frequently and also many that sound interesting and I want to try. Thanks!

Uguel :)

3. Brando Ikari

Brando Ikari Registered Member

This looks pretty cool. I may check out some of the programs one day.

4. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi!

From the list of the Top Freeware Downloads...
    I really like these:

Irfan View I used it since a couple of months and never regretted downloading it. It supports a wide range of formats such as: JPG/JPEG, GIF, BMP, DIB, RLE, PCX, PNG, TIFF, TGA, RAS/SUN, AVI, WAV, MID, WMF, EMF, PBM, PGM, PPM, IFF/LBM, PSD, CPT, MPG/MPEG and so on...
    Easy to use and works well with windows98, ME, NT, 2000, XP.

New internet users may have a look at the following ones:

SpyBot-S&D A spyware removal. A great and useful program to get rid of bunch of parasites and spyware we might collect from the internet. IT does a great job! :)

Ad-Aware Another useful one I like a lot! Works similarly like Spybot but may find other "lurking files" in your system.

SpywareBlaster
    "doesn't scan and clean for so-called spyware, but prevents it from being installed in the first place". Works well with SpyBot-S&D and Ad-Aware. All the three make a very good team! :)

I liked this one but
    it can be dangerous if misused...

TweakUI There is a version for WindowsXP too: Tweak UIXP --I think Tweak UI is convenient because it groups commonly used user-interface controls in one place.--adjustments to Internet Explorer's behavior, a repair system feature, a logon tab which allows you to bypass that process by letting Windows automatically log you on to the system at start-up.--The application itself makes changes to the Windows Registry, so it's a good thing if you know how to back up your Registry before using the utility for the first time. TweakUI is a great tool for configuring your Windows interface. However, you would be well advised to be careful and don’t make any changes you don’t fully understand. :eek: Also, you must unistall any previous PowerToys before installing the new ones.

Uguel

5. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi Uguel707 - I downloaded Irfranview and have no idea how to get it going ... is there an online manual? I suppose if I spend enough time figuring things out, I will get the hang of it but would really, really appreciate getting pointed in the right direction. Tx. :)

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Anyoen tried the "IconArt" program? (I have a few DOS programs, with no icons, and am getting tired of the stupid MS-DOS standard shortcut icons)

7. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Peaches4U!

I haven't found any online manual yet but I use to go into the "help Menu" of the program for tips or help.

The options I like to use in IV are: the slide show, quite simple and nicer than the one provided with WinXP, the effects in which you can add from the Effect Factury more of them. I use IV also to create icons, but they will be 2D icons only, unless you select the 3D buttonthey appear as small buttons then. I don't have a digital camera or scanner so I can't say much about those features. All in all, I use it for modifying pictures, open gifs, creating icons and so on...
    If you have any questions regarding things I mentionned, just let me know.
    I'll be happy to help. :)

Uguel

8. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi Comp 01!

Sounded interesting. Just downloaded it!
    I'll have a try at it tomorrow. Thanks! :)

Here's the link for those who might be interested:

http://www.webattack.com/download/dliconart.html

Uguel :)

9. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

[​IMG]

Well, Thanks Comp01!

I tried Icon Art today and it works fine now! I did a few icons and animated cursors without difficulties. All of them, even the animated cursors, can be opened in Irfan View too. Had a hard time installing it at first, for it wanted so badly to be installed on the desktop! I kept insisting: "C:\Programs Files\Icon Art" and I finally broke down the program's stubborness!

I really appreciate your speaking of it! Both Irfan View and Icon Art kept me busy today! Did about 27 icons! But kept just the best ones!
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, couldn't post the "ico" format, so I converted them into "gifs" before and made it a little bit bigger for a better view here!

Uguel [​IMG]

***Peaches4U, "Effect factory" is included in the Irfan View
    menu, you can add more plug-ins effect in it***

10. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.