Top 10 Reasons I’ll Never Use Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Arup, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Top 10 Reasons I’ll Never Use Ubuntu

Okay but there must be a technique to record keystrokes, it is hard to imagine that there exists no keylogger in linux.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

There are quite a few but you can't plan them like you can in Windows.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Ha, ha...good one lewmur! I concur, but Linux is only what about 18 years old, so give it another 7-15 years. ;)

-- Tom

P.S. The reasons I switched full time to Linux:
    1) Its free
    2) I have an optical router fully stealthed that uses another Linux, Buzybox (a realtime fav)
    3) I have iptables rules that severely restrict what can get through to my computer
    4) Although I have rkhunter and chkrootkit, but they never find anything
    5) WinXP barfed and needs a parallel reinstall, but I just don't want to pay for all the extras like security software (If you guessed that I'm a Scot - you're right!)
    6) Come to think of it, I don't pay for any extra software, i.e. that's it!
    7) I am more secure than any Windows or installed OS, because I run totally in a Live CD environment - i.e. in memory, and none of my disks are mounted, thus are not exposed to the Internet - and the Live CD is not writeable.
    8 ) A further mode of protection is to run the sdparm command to spin down the disks
    9) Oh, did I mention I always use the latest release of Ubuntu, now 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    10) To do what I do, you have to have a little patience for booting the Live CD (4 min), then I tarball updates I have made using Synaptic Package Manager (1 min), and then I power up my router which auto connects.
    11) Did I mention, I pay nothing, but my ISP bill every month - everything else is free until I update my hardware again. My software costs have been minimized to zero. And, it is very secure with the approach I have taken.

4. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I have yet to find a linux flavor of AutoCAD that can even remotely compare.
    I have bunches of engineering soft.s that run exclusively on M$.
    Unfortunate, but that is just the way it is (for now).
    My OS is merely a platform to run my app.s. Nothing more, nothing less.
    M$, Linux, Mac.. I don't give a rat's tail.
    It's whatever OS that will run the proggies that keep me in business.

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I guess I'm lucky. I don't have much CAD work to do this year, and all I need is MATLAB - which Octave replaces rather nicely.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

To get a lighter feel and better performance you'd probably have to turn to Xfce as desktop rather than Gnome or KDE. There are a few, Xubuntu, as Mrk mentions above, or Zenwalk is another. OzOS is yet another which uses Enlightenment for desktop. These will give you a snappier performance in general. You can even run PCLinuxOS, which uses KDE by default, and install Gnome and Xfce and then switch at will between the desktops.

That said though, I would try to stick with Ubuntu, it is by far the most friendly distro with the very least issues (I have none in mine). If there was a Linux distro for Win users, Ubuntu is it. Makes for an easier transition while you're learning Linux.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Then you might as well forget about Linux.... unless you'd like to run it for personal/home use.

8. element119

element119 Registered Member

ubuntu ultimate is all about the eye candy, not speed.
    try linux mint, best distro I've ever used.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

I use Scilab and it works out very well.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

As I said, you will find alternates, whether that suits you or not is entirely up to you. Hollywood has embraced Linux big time and movies like LOTR were made on Linux machines.

http://www.linuxmovies.org/

There is a reason for that, once you get it working, it works good day in day out than other OS.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey arup,
    very true.
    the other advantage is that all updates are obtained using one program the package manager.

more and more programmers are using lanuages they can be used on multiple platforms. the faster the better.
    as soon as all the applications i want work on linux or when i find better alternitives i will use linux only.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I keep teetering on the edge myself, not quite ready to let go of Win completely, but I will get there eventually I think. Meanwhile I dual boot and have the best of both worlds.... :)

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats what i do as well.
    vista 64bit and fedora 10

recently ive been using vista mainly because im waiting for the creative opensourse driver to find its way in the the kernal and part of alsa.
    plus as I said earlier I like the proper wlm..

14. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Unfortunately, the alternatives are not comparable. i.e.: I cannot find a more reasonably priced Windows alternative to AutoCAD that has the same feature set, much less a linux flavor of same.
    For many other specialized soft.s, unfortunately again, there are no alternatives.
    Hence, many of us are stuck in the M$ world.
    For now, anyway.

Cheers

15. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Google SketchUp :D

Because they can use Render farms to process the movie. Parallel processing is native to BSD and Linux.

16. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

No offense, but I've had a SketchUp license for years (neat program). However it in no way can be compared, even remotely, to AutoCAD (or any CAD program).
    PS: SketchUp's system requirements call for XP, Vista, Mac OS X.
    Per their website:
    Cheers

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't normally lookup stuff on wine, but i think people have got AutoCAD 2008 working on linux
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9306

18. Arup

Arup Guest

I agree to an extent, I am yet to find find anything lacking in my line of work with Linux but then I mostly do programing and encoding, two areas where Linux excels, specially the x64 version. Also being open source, one can always compile. Also as Iceni mentioned above, there is always WINE and its getting better day by day, there is a x64 version slated as well and that would make it even faster.

19. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Above link suggests unresolved issues.
    There is a design company in South Africa that has had successs, albeit with a dated r14.
    http://architectafrica.com/bin0/news200411111_wine.html
    With the millions of AutoCAD licenses out there, it appears success stories running under linux are quite rare.
    (ACAD versions for Unix were released in the 1980s and 1990s, but these were later dropped.)

Cheers

20. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Windows can be so problematic sometimes, situations I never get into with linux. Perhaps we should have a '10 reasons...Windows,' here's what I had turning on the family computer tonight...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  21. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Click your name? There were none to click! :D

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That doesn't leave you with many options.... :D

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

LOL sometimes with linux you have to mess things up just to learn how to fix them. like the time i broken the X server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.