Top 10 Reasons I’ll Never Use Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Arup, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Re: Top 10 Reasons I’ll Never Use Ubuntu

The only myth here is how you try to put down Windows by saying Linux is secure. Linux IS secure, no doubt, except that this doesn't mean other OSes can't be secure too. What's to say that those 500 elderly people can't be just as successful if you created limited user accounts for them and taught them to only download from secure sources?

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Very true, with good AV, DEP full on and LUA implemented, you can be quite safe in Windows as well.

3. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

It amuses me how Windows fans reason out the security issue. Everyone of them will tell you that the only reason Windows users suffer from malware is because its popularity makes it the prime target. In the next breathe they will tell you that Linux will never have the popularity that Windows enjoys. Well, duhhh!! If Linux will never have the popularity, then will always be safer!!;)

4. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I don't think so. You'll never be able to overcome the user's ability to click on the wrong thing. You can make your own system pretty safe but not someone else's.:p

5. Arup

Arup Guest

I agree but then thats where the good AV, LUA and DEP part comes in. Said and done, far less damage can be done in Linux by a mistake than in Windows. However they can tell an old personto excecute a sudo rm -f command and there goes all the linux files.

6. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Naw! I've removed the terminal option from the menu.:D

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Arup,

You may not be accurate on never hearing about a ten year old unpatched bug - admittedly, I think it was from Unix, and not strictly Linux (but it may have been collateral to Linux - I don't know), but there were a couple I read about last year.

Here are a couple of links for two different bugs of different ages over ten years:
    The 25 Year Old BSD Bug.

Developer fixes 33-year-old Unix bug.

The question is whether the bug(s) are a security vulnerability or otherwise. Perhaps the second one as had it been used as an exploit may have been able to trigger a buffer overflow, but now since its been fixed it won't see the light of day.

-- Tom

8. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Sorry, but Linus and his associates are not responsible for bugs in Unix or BSD.

9. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Where else? :p He probably wouldn't be the CEO of Microsoft right now if he didn't go to the same school as Bill Gates.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You were obviously not a DOS programmer. My programming days were in DOS with Basic, Asm and C compilers, and EVERYTHING was command line then. I think we're spoiled now.... ;)

But in Ubuntu for example, the only time I really need the command line is right after my initial install when I have to tweak a few things to get set up. Once that's done, the need for it is much much less..

11. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Windows' ubiquity is it's greatest flaw (with respect to security), and it's greatest asset (with respect to it's supported applications).
    OK, I'm no big fan of M$, but XP Pro is really not a bad OS.
    It works with all my app.s, and is reasonably stable.
    My puter is a tool, not a hobby. I need it for business and to make money.
    When a linux flavor comes along that Autodesk (AutoCAD) supports (as well as dozens of other app.s) I'll look more closely at it.
    M$, unfortunately, has become the de facto standard.
    I am a proponent of ODF (open document format), but when I send a document to a colleague, I never send as native ODF format, rather, I convert to .doc, .xls.!
    Would only that things be different...sigh...

12. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Yes, I am very spoiled.
    But I did use DOS and was reluctant to give it up for Windozzzzs.
    But I, like everyone else had to bite the bullet.
    I just don't want to go through the agony of learning all the command
    line verbiage. IMHO, point and click is way much easier to do for people.

13. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I Installed Ubuntu Ultimate, on another partition as a second os, and im not to happy with it either, my XP Pro sp3 is faster, I think im going to try Suse instead? Although im not to happy with the software linux offers, most of it doesnt even come close to the majority of the windows software im using, like Adobe Photoshop CS4 compared to Gimp, Adobe stomps it, im not going to get into the rest,, or ill be in this thread all day long LOL

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  14. Arup

Arup Guest

I don't agree on speed issue, Ubuntu blows any version of Windows but in your case, you are better off with Windows as no matter what, biased mind has no cure period. As I said before, there are alternates and not replacements for Windows programs that work equally well and sometimes way better if you have an open mind to work with them and learn. Point is you are expecting to change over to a totally new OS but are not willing to accept the learning curve.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I wouldn't bother with SuSE, it's nice, but it's not going to be easier, or faster either...

16. Warlockz

Im not the only one who said it, and im not the last that will, Im not doing a total switch, im just trying to learn more about linux, and become more familiar with the advantages of using it, im always reading everywhere how happy people are with Linux, so I figured I would give it a good test run!
    A biased mind can handle uncertainty more efficiently and robustly than an unbiased mind relying on more resource-intensive and general-purpose processing strategies!

Heuristics are efficient cognitive processes that ignore information. In contrast to the widely held view that less processing reduces accuracy, the study of heuristics shows that less information, computation, and time can in fact improve accuracy.

Please can we try to stay on topic, instead of making personal assumptions/comments twards eachother? Thanks!
    Can you please point me in the direction of somthing more efficient?

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Your whole tone just indicates your frame of mind, nothing personal but LINUX is not for you. Everyone who has switched from Windows to Ubuntu stay with it in spite of the difficulties they face during transition due to one reason alone, thats speed, apart from enhanced security. Apart from programs needing serious GDI resources, in terms of encoding, file performance, compiling, editing a 25MP RAW image with GIMPx64, all are far faster than Windows alternatives. You mentioned Adobe being superior. I find the opposite, till now Adobe has resisted going x64 all the way. Even in Windows the free Paint.Net blows away Adobe in terms of processing speed, both Gimp and Paint.Net utilize multi cores far better and also do better memory I/O. As for all the so called features of Adobe, well if you cared to look and do some digging, 80% of those are available for GIMP via plugins found at GIMP shop or in case of Paint.Net at their forums.

Also bear in mind, LINUX I/O and CPU is not bogged by security apps running in background so compiling will always be superior to Windows offering in real life. Linux gets newer kernels, file systems regularly whereas MS just recycles old wine in new bottle most of the times.

Xenophobia will not get one far, its not about less information, its about filtering the right information and having an open attitude. A skeptic mind can handle information and filter it right, a biased mind just looses out to anything beyond the realm of its understanding.

18. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Why do you care? You obviously aren't going to be happy with any Linux distro. Is it that you want to be able to say "I honestly tried to give Linux a fair shot, but it just isn't as good as Windows?" Don't bother, your post makes it apparent that you might be able to convince yourself the attempt was honest, but no one else will believe it.

19. Warlockz

Can sombody Please point me in the direction of a Linux Distro that is more efficient than Ubuntu?

This is exactly why I wanted to use Linux as a second OS, and learn more about it, why do you think im asking, no im not trollin in here, I have an open mind, im just trying to learn here dude!

Holy Crapo_O can sombody just answer my question Please?

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Ubuntu is the most Window like of all distros, I suggest that you stick to it and join the Ubuntu forum as well as post your questions here. First off I would like you to remove the video driver in case you have installed it from the repos, then go to www.medibuntu.org and follow instructions on enabling the repository. After that do a sudo apt-get install envy Fire up envy and follow instructions on installing the nvidia driver. I would also like you to install nautilus gksu from synaptic, this will give you a Windows like explorer interface even with root files, just be caeful what you copy and remove.

21. Warlockz

Thanks bro, Im going to do like you said, Ive been using Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.0, and its already installed, + it comes with a load of apps, I will stick with your advice because you sound like a linux pro, and know what you are talking about!

How important is antivirus for linux? Im using a firewall already, but im not to sure about AV?

22. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Nothing is secure.. but

Ubuntu is one of the best linux distros.
    What about Keyscrambler? Linux doesn´t have one. No keylogger in linux?

23. Arup

Arup Guest

None of the Windows based techniques can plant one. There is rootkit but you only worry if you are running a server and anti rootkits like chkrootkit and rkhunter take all out with ease.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Unless you are running mail servers, anti virus for Linux only detects Windows based virus so you don't really need them. Windows based virus have no effect on Linux. Ubuntu Ultimate is very good but I would suggest you install the latest drivers for your video card from the manufacturer's site be it nvidia or ATI. I am not a Linux pro, Mrk here is the final word and there are others, I just did dual boot between XPx64 and Ubuntux64 till I got comfortable with Ubuntu and finally ditched XPx64 begrudgingly as its the best Windows OS non corporate OS ever.

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Don't let the Linux fanboys ruin your day :)

Try Xubuntu - Ubuntu with light Xfce desktop. If you're looking for fast, there are a few other choices, but they are not very friendly.

Mrk

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.