Toolwiz TimeFreeze vs Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Rasheed187, Dec 16, 2014.

1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Testing Toolwiz Time Freeze under a limited user account. It indeed runs without requiring admin credentials. So, it appears that both SD and TTF can do the limited user thing. The big difference is that SD requires admin privileges to start up. Is this good or bad? I'm not sure. If some kind of a link to the admin account exists (running a program as a user confers privileges that user has), then it could be less safe than a program that is only running under the limited account. If all else is equal, could TTF be safer as a limited user than SD?? (This is a question I do not have the knowledge to answer...)

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK I will wait for the report.

Thanks for the feedback, and I also saw your posts in the "Toolwiz Time Machine" thread. I did read some bad stuff, and I'm still a bit wary to install this kinda software. On the other hand, I'm not planning to use it extensively, I would use it once in a while to test tools that I consider to install on my machine.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Rasheed.

I never got off the ground with the toolwiz stuff. Like returnil you have to set up a disk cache. Exceed that and everything breaks. Plus if you set up say a 1gb cache then you have 1gb tied up, that gets thrown into disk images. On the other hand, Shadowdefender doesn't have that limitation. I have even shadowed a drive with a 60gb vm. Made changes in the VM, and then booted out of shadow mode. Changes to vm were gone. It has always worked.

Hey before going into the AX64 thing, do you have another imaging program.

Pete

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

It's perhaps still officially undocumented: Toolwiz Time Freeze doesn't need an explicit cache file.

5. Peter2150

That doesn't help. I looked at what was on the website, and that was it.

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

At the moment I do not, I'm new to this stuff. But I'm planning to check out Macrium Reflect. I will also soon read your post about AX64, thanks for the report.

8. Peter2150

Macrium is excellent. I'd recommend the paid std version. Well worth and if you search you can find 20-30% of coupons
    Pete

9. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Pete, I agree. Even the free version is excellent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.