Toolwiz Time Machine

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by majoMo, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've only got 1 snapshot. Cache is growing in size as I'm browsing,makes no sense at all.

When I used Comodo Time Machine,nothing like this happened.

2. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

it is not a good signal for your system, only browsing will not take much space. maybe some speical apps in the background are eating your disk. You can use Process Monitor to make a tracking.

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Only real time software I have running is GeSWall,I dont use anything else.

I'll just uninstall Toolwiz Time Machine and go back to Comodo Time Machine.

4. littleturle

I have AyRecovery installed in my PC before. But there is big issue for this kind of virtualization, including CTM, they all use the total free space as their cache. If you have another OS installed in your PC, the cache will be damaged. It is good to see TTM using the file as the cache.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I agree: in fact it's a "Good Improvement".

Many users like to use T. Time Freeze to try software that doesn't need to reboot.

Now, with this improvement in T. Time Machine, users can:

1. Try software that doesn't need to reboot - using Time Freeze button.
    2. Try software that needs to reboot - using Snapshots feature.

Really nice!

P.S.: for who (like me) that always want to work in virtualized mode, T. Time Freeze is an excellent application in their PC. Both are simple and easy-to-use - and Freeware! :thumb: :thumb:

6. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Will Toolwiz Time Machine with Time Freeze have any affect on SSDs and their TRIM feature? Thank you!

7. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Does Toolwiz Time Machine/Freeze provide adequate protection against malware? Put another way, are there any recent tests showing TTM's ability to restore a clean snapshot after the system is infected, or TTF's ability to reject an infection (upon system restart)? o_O

Cruise

8. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Cruise,

Here is a pretty recent malware test with TTF (I think it's still too early for TTM tests):
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEqehQSmjKU- (although I found it rather difficult to follow, it seems as if TTF was able to contain all of the malware tested).

TS

9. littleturle

It is a standard disk filter, I think it can prevent most of virus to infect your disk. But I did not use it as the single defender, I have a Avira running at same time, Avira + Toolwiz Time Machine should be a good partner.

10. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

So I'm trying the latest [I think] and TTM will not save any snapshots. Manually created snapshots disappeared one at a time. I was loooking forward to trying the TTM/TTF combo. It says that TTM is working but it won't even take hourly snapshots either. I'm going to reinstall it but I'm not sure that would do much.

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I had issues with Toolwiz Time Machine as well.I'm thinking it's got aways to go before it's a useable / stable program.

12. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

This software is working flawlessly on my Windows 8 laptop - it's not failed once, so far. There's been no blue screens, no error messages, every trace of any software gone after restoring. Definitely a keeper for me.

13. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

In the end,does TTM behave like RestoreIT and delete all the the snapshots after a snapshot restore?

14. littleturle

Yes, they will be removed after you restore system.

15. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Thank you.This makes TTM useless to me.

16. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

In strictness, it doesn't delete all the snapshots.

It delete the snapshots that were done after the restored snapshot. The previous snapshots keep there.

17. The Shadow

I believe this is because TTM, like RestoreIT and others like these, make incremental snaps (ie., each snap is referenced to the previous snap, reflecting changes only since the prior snap), whereas Rollback Rx, and its clones, make differential snaps (ie., each snap is referenced to the baseline snap, reflecting all changes since then).

18. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ The Shadow, maybe you are right. But: user can delete any snapshots - but the latest snapshot can´t be deleted. So I'm not sure about.

19. The Shadow

Just to be clear about this, let's assume TTM snapshots #1, #2, #3, and #4 (where #1 is the baseline snapshot and #4 is the current snapshot). If I restore snapshot #2 would I not lose snapshot #3 and snapshot #4?

Now let's assume I didn't restore snapshot #2, but that I simply deleted it; what happens to snapshot #3 and snapshot #4? ...are they not also gone?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

The Shadow, I've just had a mess about with TTM regarding these issues, and here are the results:

Yes, you'd lose any snapshots you make after the one you restore from.

Both snapshots remain. However, if you restore to snapshot 3, that will still obviously have the changes that you made in snapshot 2 (and obviously snapshot 4 would then be automatically deleted). So, basically, if you delete a previous snapshot (#2), you just can't restore to it, but all of your system changes will be in the next snapshot that you took and then restored (#3 or #4).

Hope this was helpful to you :thumb: .

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The whole purpose of a time machine is the ability to go back and forth to various snapshots,and yet this program does not do that.
    A better alternative would be keriver 1 click restore or CTM.:D

22. Boost

Boost Registered Member

EXACTLY :thumb:

23. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I certainly agree with your first statement and because of that limitation I'm not at all interested in TTM. However, K1CR is a disk-imaging program (not a 'time-machine' program) and from what I've read CTM is even less stable than Rollback Rx (which trashed my system)! :rolleyes:

Cruise

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  24. Boost

Boost Registered Member

What you read is not the same thing as actually using the software.
    CTM on my PC has run perfectly,and is more useful then Toolwiz Time Machine.

25. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Boost, perhaps so, but there are a heck of a lot of horror stories in the CTM Forums!

Cruise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.