Toolwiz Time Machine

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by majoMo, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacsGenius

MacsGenius Registered Member

I agree that. Microsoft VSS 'usually' works fine, not 'always'. And there's no VSS service with Win2k.
    As I know, most popular image apps have their own method to perform the hot backup, so this is not a problem for home users. But if you work on a server or database, that's horrible!

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Is Toolwiz Time Machinse usable under a Standard User Account?

3. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Not correct. All Imaging Programs use VSS as default and if VSS doesn't work then they use their own proprietary locking system. Where as Image For Windows (IFW) uses PHYLock for locking as default and has the option for VSS if so desired.

Therefore, if TTM disables VSS, then it creates problems for All Imaging Programs out there beside IFW, where the default VSS has to be changed. What a pain in the rumpus.

TTM shouldn't go against the default settings of All Imaging Programs. If it does then in my opionion it is useless.

Best regards,

4. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

it is well known that VSS can bypass the virtualization apps. So normally they will stop the VSS as default.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Toolwiz Time Machine disable VSS when doing snapshots.
    Toolwiz Time Freeze disable VSS when in 'Frozen Mode' (virtualized status).

So the answer is: there aren't any annoyances using Reflect and TTM/TTF in same PC - IF you are not using both at same time. Some cautions are needed when using, at same time, app. like images backup, virtualize app..

BTW: . I did an image with Macrium without problems (with TTF in 'Normal Mode' and without doing a snapshot with TTM when Macrium was doing their excellent work).

Said that, maybe some can to want another clarification; if so, they can do the following:

1. With TTM installed (and not doing a snapshot) open command prompt and paste the command:
    vssadmin list writers
    Please confirm that all the VSS writers (in particular 'System Writer') are showing:
    State: [1] Stable
    2. If you do same command with TTF in 'Frozen Mode' you will see some VSS writers are showing a 'not stable' state.

Hoping the VSS issue could stay clarified.

;)

6. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What does Toolwiz Time Machine do that using standard Windows restore points won't do?

7. littleturle

checked the TTM in my XP. TTM works in the sector level, but the Windows Restore Point works in the file level. TTM should be a sector level "Copy on Write" engine. WRP(XP) should be file level "Copy on Write" engine.

One TTM snapshot should be a map list for the sectors. So it is very small(one snapshot Only take 30-50 MB in my system.)

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Is the sector level vs file level thing any REAL advantage? I'm using XP as well, but haven't installed TTM -- will probably wait for it to come out of Beta in that I don't have a test machine.

9. littleturle

no one use Windows System Restore for anti-virus, but many guys in this forum use the sector level virtualization app for anti-virus. such as SD, Toolwiz Time Freeze. I think that is becasue Sector level is much lower than File level.

Also in file level, if you change only one byte of a 1 GB file, "copy on write" engine will backup the whole 1 GB file. but in sector level, they will only backup 1 sector(512 bytes). This is a smart way.

But I know VSS already improved this part after XP. but I still prefer the lower level backup.

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I thought we were talking about TTM - a snapshot program - not TTF a virtualization program. Anyway, I already have two different virtualization programs, which I've used for quite a few years.

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Whats the deal with Total Cache and Cache used?

12. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Any screenshots available? Exactly what items are included in a "snapshot?"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

To be perfectly honest i dont see the point of these "snapshot" programs.I would sooner just use images restored from an external hard drive.To me the only use of these programs is in the case of windows not booting and these apps would help you out there,but swaying from one snapshot to another on nearly a daily basis cant be healthy for the hard drive.:eek:

And also nearly all of them corrupt the hard drive upon uninstall and modify the MBR etc.In some respects these programs are actually more harm than good.:ninja:

14. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Why would the hard drive care? Are you suggesting actual physical damage to the drive? Any proof of that statement?

15. The Red Moon

Is there any concrete proof that it does not harm them.?:eek:

16. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

FUD doesn't work. If you're going to make a statement, the burden of proof is on you.

17. The Red Moon

Nonsense.
    I will take my chances with restoring images thank you.

18. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Is there any concrete proof that it does not harm them.?

19. The Red Moon

Nope but there are enough horror stories involving snapshot programs to convince me that a clean image restore is the better way to go.:D

20. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

You spoke of harm to the health of hard drive (not the data) so I challenged you on that. So you switch from the HD to the data now?

21. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Still waiting for a answer.

22. littleturle

I think the total cache size means the size you set when install.

23. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Cache used - 539MB
    Total Cache - 1664 MB

What I'm wondering is,what happens when I reach total cache size of 1664MB.

24. littleturle

Good Improvement.

25. littleturle

Remove some snapshots may help u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.