Toolwiz Time Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sg09, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

This seems to be a decent review (listing several shortcomings).

2. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I installed Time Freeze by Toolwiz and it created a hidden 4GB file somewhere, which I have no idea where, but in any case, it installed fine and I installed Glary Utilities as a test and it worked fine. I then stopped Time Freeze and it asked me to reboot and my system seems back to how it was, even the Glary Program Files folder was not there when rebooted, so this seems like a great product to install things and then decide if you want to keep it or not.:thumb:

I just hope it's not spyware, and sending my personal files anywhere.

3. Scott W

So long as the program you're installing doesn't require a reboot to complete the installation!

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So what happens then? Toolwiz Time Freeze will fail and messes up your system?

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

No, the install won't be successful because it will restore your system.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

As long as it doesn't mess anything up, that's cool :)

So installing W7 video drivers e.g Sharks, etc won't work then I guess?

7. Scott W

Imho it's most definitely not cool when a light-virtualizer doesn't allow you to install an app or driver (for test purposes) when that app/driver requires a reboot. That's the main reason I switched from a LV (Shadow Defender) to an ISR (RollBack Rx)!

Scott

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  8. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems Toolwiz Software "are making a good plan on development" to Toolwiz Time Freeze. Also they "have the plan to release a new product which multi restore points support in this year".

It is now really understandable why we have seen 'news' that are spreading the idea that Toolwiz is an hacker who has reverse engineered ShadowDefender and/or spying PC'users and sending data back to their server. It's interesting always to see how concealed interests arise...

Toolwiz Software has shown they have in-depth knowledge; it seems that is not enough - they need to have one kind of ability also: a social and political skill to overcome some well done ambushes...

It´s why some stroke of luck and patience is needed also in life.

9. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Is this true or FUD?
    Does ShadowDefender ever complained about that? o_O

10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I think it's just FUD

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi @ Technical, it's an evidence that someone wants that Toolwiz'users get mixed up - is why they spread these kind of idea.

Answering your question: Shadow Defender never complained about that; who does this things never shows their face - they like to throw others always...

12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Sounds good. :thumb:

13. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Thanks guys. Let's not spread the FUD anymore.

14. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Thanks for this info, majoMo. TTF's development should be interesting to fellow in months to come, then.

I do hope that they will make it to also allow its "points in time" to be stored on another partition/HD.

15. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I'd love to have the option to store snapshots on the protected drives free space (for super-fast recoveries) as well as on another disk or even optical media like DVDs/BD-R discs. Also to have a disaster recovery startup disc/usb stick. If my disk goes south I could then just buy a new disk and use the bootable media to import the snapshot driver into the boot sector of the new disk, then import the saved snapshots back to the new drive's free space, re-enabling the ultra-fast recoveries.

I'm surprised how preciously few snapshot software there are out there. It's strange that bigger software players haven't gone down this route. I find their functionality unique, and the fact that the snapshots are saved on the protected drive's free space makes it super fast to save/restore. I love the ability to save different software setups as snapshots to fit different purposes, also the ability to test and then undo any software that may require a reboot, etc.

Funilly enough, as I was editing this message my PC froze. Instead of rebooting and running scandisk to correct possible file system errors, all I had to do was reboot, invoke the pre-boot snapshot driver interface, and revert to my last snapshot. Here it is, crash undone. I find such functionality priceless.

I currently use Rollback RX with an OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD and it works very well. Of course it will be essential for any new snapshot software to FULLY support TRIM, workarounds that may disable TRIM just won't do. The SSD's internal garbage collection is another potential minefield for a developer of snapshot software. Rollback supports TRIM but I don't know what's the score with internal GC. I asked Rollback tech support about it but they haven't replied yet. I think internal GC still works as the Rollback driver should not be able to stop the SSD controller from performing internal cleanups. How internal GC doesn't interfere with snapshot maps saved on sectors that the controller would see as free space, this is what I'm not sure about. Any new snapshot software has to deal with this issue.

With Comodo Time Machine now re-written and back into full development, we now have another contender to a scene essentially monopolized by Rollback RX. Competition is good, the more the merrier, and I'd love to see Toolwiz rising as a potential contender in this field - as long as their features match and even exceed those of their competitors.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  16. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I believe that's just a rumor. If it's a fact, please provide source reference.

Wendi

17. kupo

kupo Registered Member

That's not a rumor, you can find it at the Comodo forums.

18. burebista

burebista Registered Member

-http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-ctm/save-comodo-time-machine-claim-for-a-higher-development-speed-t71072.0.html;msg564973#msg564973-
    And from the boss himself

19. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Sounds good :)

20. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Anyone know if it is possible to enable timefreeze protection from the command line instead of starting the GUI and enabling it from there?

Al

21. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems not. A request/suggestion in their forum/support perhaps?

22. Adric

Adric Registered Member

That was 2nd on my list after posting here.:eek:

Al

23. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

I wrote to the developer James and outlined some ideas and he was very open to my suggestions. One of those suggestions was the use of a RAM for the virtualization cache in order to save all those extra hits on your disk/SSD. I suggested for the user to be able to specify the amount of RAM to be used for the cache, and when that limit is reached Time Freeze could seamlessly switch to disk caching - preferably on a seperate disk to the protected one. Again such a feature would save our SSDs a lot of hits.

James was very polite and appreciative to user input and did put the idea forward; in fact he replied recently saying that RAM caching will most probably be implemented on the next version of TF.

I also asked him if it's possible for them to implement Time Freeze resistance to certain rootkits, just like Shadow Defender. It would be great if they pull this off.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  24. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Has anyone with Toolwiz installed been able to install any Paragon applications that include Paragon's hotcore drivers?

For example, if you try and install the HDM 2011 trial , the install will hang at the end if Toolwiz is already installed on your system. Seems to be a driver conflict. I haven't tried the reverse situation - HDM installed and then install Toolwiz.

Al

25. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

When you are trying to install Paragon applications, is TTF activated (on/Frozen Mode or in Systray)?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.