Toolwiz Time Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sg09, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hello TerryWood,
    Glad to know that..:)
    If you need to get in touch with them, submit bugs or suggestions you can send mail to their Team Leader James Choi at james<at>toolwiz.com. He is a nice and helpful person.

2. ichito

ichito Registered Member

As I said...is just to young, we don't know how are realy its features, how it behaves in differ configurations, and there wasn't some tests which could confirm the effectiveness of TTF as the good security.

@sg09
    I know that...I can add TinyWall, KPCD and perhaps some others, but Wilders's/users support in developing those apps don't means that they are completely safe at the beggining its way :)
    I can use TTF to testing apps, but not jet as the security of my system.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I understand what you mean...:)

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hahaha :)...thanks :thumb:

5. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

7. CyberMan969

Thanks sg09!

I saw another post mentioning that Toolwiz Time Freeze utilizes RAM for its cache, does anyone know if it's true? It would be great if this was configurable within the program, including an option where a user could asign a portion of the available RAM (or a pre-existing RAM drive) for the virtualization cache.

Currently there is the option in the program to add files or folders to a protection list, but the explanation is somewhat confusing (e.g the phrase "please make sure your Windows sytem files are not in the protection list"). I don't know if adding the roots of attached disks on that list accomplishes the task of keeping those disks unchanged, anyone has an idea if this is the case?

Also, is there a maximum cache limit, and if yes what happens when this limit is reached?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  8. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

It would be very helpful when protection is enabled,at least tray icon to change and show this because the only way to know if protection is On is to hover the mouse on TF tray icon...

9. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Isn't this a failure on the application's part since upon reboot, the files are still there?

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

James is keeping an eye on this thread. Might be such features will be added soon.

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Here.

12. CyberMan969

Thanks MajoMo. It's a shame it can't utilize RAM, I hope this feature can be added in the near future. My upcoming X79 system will have 32gig of RAM (26 of which I plan to assign to a RAM drive), so it's something I'd definitely use.

13. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I tried to use "Memory Buffer Mode" in 'Wondershare Time Freeze' but it delays too much to start; so I use normal mode, disk virtualization.

14. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Just for the record: I also wrote to James and he seemed indeed very polite and responsive (unlike other products I can name whose boss' attitude towards customers makes me want to drown kittens). I suggested the implementation of the feature to virtualize other volumes as well (like in Shadow Defender) and the option to exclude certain directories. He said he'll put it on the list but can't make any estimations as to when those things will get done.

Also, the idea to change the default option when turning off the protection from "save" to "discard" was mine. So I'm the one to throw rotten tomatoes at if you don't like it. :D

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I like it..;) But any way to change the default settings?

16. Night_Raven

If you mean is there any way for the user to change which of the two options (save or discard) should be the default one? If yes, then I don't there is a way to do it and I haven't asked for that because I don't need such an option. But you can suggest it yourself. :)

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

No I don't need that :).
    I asked because it was mentioned as the "default option" not as the only option.
    Your suggestion was good as it was unnecessarily wasting space and all other visualization software actually does the same thing.
    But that might be a good idea in case an user was testing an app and he likes it and wants to restore it... So, the developer may add an option to drop changes (default) or keep it. For the second choice there should be a settings to restore those backup in real disk or delete them.

But I think we should keep the software as simple as it is now...:D

18. Night_Raven

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you meant.
    If a user is testing an application with the protection turned on, he can turn it off and save the changes, and he can keep the application that way.

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Oh.. I see, can the protection be turned off without a restart or without dropping changes..?

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Just checked that option, :p Actually I always restarted to drop changes (ideal for malware testing).

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Me too.

If this gets done, I would give Toolwiz Time Freeze a try and probably replace my current system virtualization program with it.

Bo

22. Night_Raven

If those features get added it would indeed start to kick some serious ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ and would get ahead of products like its Wondershare namesake and Returnil's bloated System Safe. It would then need just to withstand a TDL infection and it would be basically perfect. Still, only Shadow Defender does that currently. I'm guessing it would be impertinent to ask the developers to test how TDL behaves and try to overcome it. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  23. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Not to make this program like a couple others but a feature I find helpful is a visual indicator of being in the virtual mode. SD has the small movable box that says shadow mode; Time Freeze also needs a "Frozen Mode" (or whatever) visual indicator. Unless you open the menu or interface you have no way of knowing you are in a virtual state.

Its just my personal preference but but I don't like the Mac-like look to the windows. It won't keep me from using it but gives the program a non-serious and toyish feel.

It would be nice to have a member here who is experienced in this sort of thing do a couple tests to see if any common malware can breach TF's virtual protection.

24. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I read somewhere that TimeFreeze (previous versions) is vulnerable to TDSS/MBR rootkits, I don't know if it's now vulnerable or they fixed this.

25. Night_Raven

I believe you must have read about Wondershare Time Freeze. This is Toolwiz Time Freeze. Similar name, different product. However, it is also vulnerable to TDL. Shadow Defender is the only product that kicks TDL's certain part of the human anatomy that is located on the posterior of the pelvic region. ~ Removed Off Topic Remarks ~

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.