Too slow if ran from boot cd.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by akgupta, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akgupta

akgupta Registered Member

If I make an image from within windows, it takes around 7 minutes to backup my system drive, but if I boot from the bootable rescue cd, it takes around 1 hour to do the same job. Can someone please tell me what might be the reason for this?

2. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

Re: Too slow if ran from bood cd.

Are you backing up to an external USB drive?

When you boot from the CD, it is running a version of Linux, with its own drivers. Some people can not access their USB drives at all using the Acronis boot CD.

3. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

You didn't state which version of True Image you are using. You should download the latest version and make a rescue CD and try again. You also don't give any information as to your OS, or the version of True Image you are using when you experience the above time differerences. Also, where are you placing your backups? To an internal hard drive, external hard drive? Please furnish more information.

...Allen

4. akgupta

Hi,
    Thanks for responding.
    I run windows xp professional, NTFS, Acronis 9.0 version (build 2337). I make images onto my second internal hard disk. The rescue CD has been made using the above mentioned version of Acronis TI.
    Please help, as this time difference does not seem to acceptable at all.

Ashok

5. Allen L.

It would not be acceptable to me either. I'm still running v.8.0.937, but can find little benefit in creating an image by using the recovery disk, and can't really offer you any help in that regard. I only use the recovery disk if I screw something up with my active C: partition and need to recover it. Why would you want to image using the recovery disk? I see others posting this same line of activity and comparisons you are following and have wondered why the need to compare, as I feel that it is sort of a mis-use of the design of the program's intention to backup in that fashion.

The point of the program is to make an image of your drive when all is working well. If you have to resort to booting with a recovery disk in order to make an image, indicates that the system can't or won't run the Acronis program through Windows, and if it can't, then something is wrong with Windows, and why would you want to image a damaged partition? Only possible reason I can think of would be to try and image a damaged active partition or other partition, with the boot disk and then mount the image to recover files. I would presume that may be possible to do, but I'm not certain as I've never tried it.

But to be in the shape to have data files mixed in with your active partition and having to resort to such recovery actions, would be poor partition planning, in my opinion. I would think everyone should make two partitons, one for the active C: and the OS and programs, and one partition D: for Data. That is, and would be, my first advice for all that use computers, set up two partitions at first install, or get access to a partition program and make two partitions as soon as possible and move all data away from the Active partition.

I can tell you, that many have said that v.9's recovery disk appears to do things slower that v.8's recovery disk. That's basically all the info I can offer, as if you read the above, I feel what your comparing has little true meaning. No disrespect intended toward your intentions, or ideas.

...Allen

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

akgupta,

I have the same setup you described. I usually do Check Archive both from Win and from Rescue disk. From Rescue disk it will take some 20% longer. I always backup from Win, but when I restore that image from Rescue disk, the time ratio is about the above again, maybe somewhat grater, but far from what you are experiencing.

Are you using the Full option in Rescue mode?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello akgupta and bVolk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic and click on the OK button.

If that does not help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. akgupta

Thanks Tatyana,
    Your suggestion did speed up the process much, but it is still not as fast as that in Windows. Earlier it was taking almost 5 times as much time as in Windows, now it is taking only twice the time. Can you please tell me what could be the reason for this behaviour?

9. akgupta

Allen,
    I am thankful to you for taking time to read and reply to my posts. I am sorry that I did not make things clear in the beginning itself. Kindly allow me to do so now..

I have been making images of my system since the days of Drive Image 4 and did have some misgivings about hot imaging. However, after I tried out Norton Ghost and Acronis TI, I started making hot images of my system. About three four days back, I tried restoring one such hot image made earlier, but found that the image which took only 5-6 minutes to create from within Windows, took one hour to restore. You know that this process of restoration has to be cold i.e. it cannot be done while windows is running. This one hour of restoration time suggested that there must be something wrong. So, I tried creating one cold image ( I booted from the rescue disc and then started creating). Acronis reported that it would take almost one hour to create the image. I cancelled the task and tried verifying the earlier image. It again reported that it would need around 45 minutes to check the image. I booted in Windows and created another image which took only 6 minutes. By this time, it was clear to me that the problem has to be somewhere before the windows loads (pardon the language :)). Since I could not pin point the problem myself, I decided to post the issue here. I, myself, am a backup freak :). You say two partitions, I have two hard disk drives on my system (big ones!). Because if a hard disk crashes some day, no partition will be left there! So, I use two hard disks :)

My comparison does have some meaning. As I have mentioned above, once the Windows loads, Acronis is super fast. Now I wish to find out that outside of the Windows XP, who or what is creating the problem - Acronis or some low level settings of my system.

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Allen,

It's not clear from this statement whether you are proposing that the image be mounted (plugged) from the boot rescue CD. If that's the case then I can confirm it isn't possible; only when you are running TI under Windows.

Regards

11. Allen L.

Thanks Menorcaman,

I just made that statement kind of "off the cuff" as I had never tried to do that with the recovery CD, but thought that would be about the only reason I would want to make an image by booting with the CD and creating one, if it were possible. I've always created through Windows, even if I didn't understand how the Acronis programer's accomplished the feat. However, I guess from the uncertainty, I still will hesitate, and not go ahead and use the computer. :) Only thing I do with the recovery CD is recover something. I feel that's what the programers had in mind...use it to recover, not to use it to do what the program does best under Windows.

Thanks for the information!

...Allen

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I too always image from within Windows without a problem. However, I conceed that, for some people using certain applications that prevent TI from temporarily locking the system partition, this may not be possible. Hence they would need to boot from the rescue CD and image from within the Linux environment unless the can identify and shut down the offending app.

Regards
    Tom

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello akgupta,

Please be aware that there might be a number of reasons for the speed problem you encounter. However, the most probable one is that you particular hardware configuration (e.g. hard drive controller, motherboard, chipset, etc.) is not fully supported yet.

Please also note that we need the information Tatyana has requested in her post #7 (sysinfo.txt and report.txt files) in order to find the actual reason for the problem and provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.