To use alongside NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Brian .
    If that is for me , I understand what you are saying . But , I am speaking of KAV online . Not Panda:cool: :)

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Well you asked about KAV being able to remove infections, so I pointed you to my prev. post :p
    "I do believe KAV is the only online scanner that cannot remove infections. And McAfee too." There :D

4. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Where Nod32 beats everything else by a large margin in the proactive department, Kaspersky wins by a small margin in the Windows virus section with definitions, and that's really all that matters as other programs are better suited for other forms of malware.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Ok, i see where you're going. What Blackcat was alluding to is the fact that Kaspersky continually is first in many different tests and have been for years, Nod has become a lot better in the last 1-2 and believe me i know because i used to have a license for Nod and it was not very good in trojan detection 1-2 years ago. I glad that they have become better.

What always surprises me is that users who use the proactive test to show Nod's superiority as an AV, forgets to read the fine print below the test which more less says that every product in the test detected the samples with updated signatures (they use three months old signatures). Proactive ITW detection is important, but there are lots of stuff you can get infected by on a daily basis even if it's not called ITW.:)

To the OP: I would not install another AV in addition to Nod, i would use some of the online scanners instead (links in my sig) and/or buy an anti-trojan like BOClean or Ewido.:)

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You're right, it only detects, but shows you the path so you can delete manually, it's meant to showcase the detectionrate.:)

7. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I would use either Bitdefender, or the last free version of mwave that actually cleans

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Depends which test you read. Anyone can quote one particular test which shows a favor towards their favorite antivirus product.

I prefer to "look at them all, and combine at least equally with real world experience"..to see the big picture.

BTW I prefer NOD32, IMO it's about 99% as good as KAV in detection rates. I'm a reseller of it myself (NOD32), deploying at least one or two enterprise network editions a month of it. And use it at home...since it's very light.

But specifically in this thread we're talking about free online scans. I haven't seen Eset release one yet.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Just use NOD32 with ewido for on-demand ;)

10. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Can I still download the free ver of Mwave and if so where ?

11. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

None of these are free, but aside from NOD32 I use AVG, DrWeb 4.33, (which produces the most FPs) & Ewido security suite and the latter does seem to find the spyware cookies, I'll say that for Ewido.

And, as far as that goes, NOD32 produced two FPs re .tmp files created the other night when I attempted to reinstall an update of WebRoot's SpySweeper; go figure. I even ran trial ver.of Tauscan on the Webroot dir., and that also turned up nothing. Ran TrojanHunter, SpySweeper and those too found nothing; NOD32 doesn't normally cry that the sky if falling from what I've seen thus far, tho'.

SG1 (Pat)

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To put things right - SpySweeper contained a suspicious code (though not actually malicious), hence advanced heuristics evaluated as a probable new virus. A fix was made and NOD32 should not trigger alarm on any future versions of SpySweeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.