tlb41.exe: FP or not?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by wideglide36, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Hi,

I just did a search on my problem and didn't find anything so here goes.

I'm using Prevx 3.0.1.65 and today Prevx said I was infected with a worm and recommended that I remove it.

The file in question is tlb41.exe which is my true launch bar program that I have had installed for quite some time now. At least I think it is my true launch bar program. I have not altered this program so why would Prevx just now flag this file?

Is this a FP or do I need to get rid of this pronto?

Prevx notified me of this problem while I was running a scan with secunia to check for programs that might need updated.

Thanks for listening.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It looks to had adware in it according to some of the things that Google returned, It could be a FP and if so you should submit it as such so they can have a look at it.

3. wideglide36

Fajo,

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't find any mention of adware in my searches. If it is indeed a FP , I will surely notify Prevx.

As I said, Prevx said that it had detected a high risk worm and that I should remove it asap.

Hopefully Prevx help will come along and let me know what to do with this detection.

Thanks for your help.

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Easy thing to do is when it pops it up you can send it to Prevx as a False positive, They can review it and remove it from there database if it ends up being harmless. But you can also wait for support, Joe (PrevxHelp) normally gets on a checks things in the morning and throughout the day. He should be able to give you more of a view what it is and if its a FP or not. :cool:

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes definitely :) If you could please email the file in a rar or 7z archive to report@prevxresearch.com, I'll give it a more thorough going over. Our determination of "High risk worm" is made automatically and isn't very precise (generally based on the spread of a program, so a new "popular" adware could get classified as a worm if its propagation looks worm-like).

6. wideglide36

Hi. Prevxhelp,

Thanks for responding.
    I have labeled it as a false positive within the Prevx program.
    I also sent a copy of the zipped folder in which it was in, to report@prevxresearch.com.

I got this program from GAOTD and have been using it for a couple years with no problems. I scanned this zipped folder with Avast and MBAM and it came up clean. When I scanned it with Prevx it showed it as a high risk worm.

Your web site has it listed as a worm also and that's what confuses me. Could it possibly be a serious infection?

The zipped folder I sent has three files, a setup file and a activate file and also a read me file.

I can't find anything on a google search indicating that this program is a worm. I sure hope it is a false positive.

Thanks for your time.

To edit this post.

I just received a reply from the support team at Prevx and they agreed that this was a false positive and that they would adjust things accordingly.
    Well that's a relief.
    Thanks everybody for your help.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.