Tired of seeing "Please collect the following log files"

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by terryconners, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terryconners

terryconners Registered Member

RANT on: :mad:
    Without resolution follow ups. This forum is worthless without them!!!!!!!
    Please follow up on these threads with resolutions. They all seem to end in
    "Please collect the following log files" then the thread DIES!!!!!!
    This is of NO USE to those of us searching for resolutions before the long awaited replies of a post.
    RANT off.
    ;)

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

But they always begin with :
    "Thank you for choosing Acronis ..." :)

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello terryconners and ErikAlbert,

Please note that when the problem is complicated it is much easier and faster to solve it via e-mail because this way gives you much more opportunities to get diagnostic info that our Development Team needs to help you with the solution. When the issue is known or doesn't need any diagnostic info to be sent we always try to solve the problem here without having to contact Acronis Support Team.

The main thing is that the same error message can be resulted from different reasons. This means that each time we need diagnostic info of the particular customer who has this error.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. ErikAlbert

Acronis Support,
    I have been reading the subforums of Acronis, because I was really planning to buy TI9 and my new computer is ready for such a backup system.

You can't deny the many problems of your image backup software and some members were even angry.
    I understand their anger very well, because image backup needs to be RELIABLE, more than any other software.

What would you think, if you would read these posts as an USER, like me ?
    I have to TRUST TI9 you know, because TI9 is the ONLY software that will RESTORE my data, when something goes wrong.
    If not, I can burn my personal files on a CD/DVD and reinstall my harddisk manually from scratch without needing TI9.

IMO, Acronis released TI9 way too early without testing it thoroughly and your main task is to soothe the complaining users and ask them for diagnostic info, but that doesn't really help them immediately.
    I would accept a FEW minor problems with TI9, but not the major ones.
    Get rid of these major problems ASAP, because you are destroying your own reputation.

And I don't care what Wilders or Acronis thinks about my post.
    As an application analyst, I would even dare to release one of my applications with so many major errors and I wouldn't like the complaints of the users either. That's what I call responsibility towards the users :)

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'll be sure to try and keep that in mind. That said, the issue put forth here by the original poster seems to be that of a lack of return by topic-starters to relay the outcome of their support issues. As much as I am sure Acronis would like to help you out there, I'm not really sure there is much they can do in that regard.

6. ErikAlbert

Detox,
    At work, we have several applications, that receive many daily manual inputs and these applications need a backup every day.
    If one of these applications get in trouble, you have to rely on the restore and if that doesn't work, you are in big trouble, certainly when previous backups can't be restored either due to bugs in the backup software.
    It's sometimes almost impossible to redo these manual inputs and I'm not even talking about angry bosses, angry users, angry clients and all that extra work. I'm not talking about restoring an OS or programs, that's the easy part.
    I'm talking about daily updated databases.
    Who is the final scapegoat : our computer department.

Do you really think you can comfort these people with a message, that the issue has been reported to Acronis or any other company ?
    Such a message is worthless for these people and it won't give their databases back.
    If a backup/restore doesn't work, it can have serious consequences, not in a forum, but in the real world.

Besides that, it's not the user's task to report the bugs in a backup software, not the major ones : BACKUP and RESTORE.
    Major bugs need to be corrected first, before releasing the software. :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ErikAlbert,

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Each new build fixes particular problems reported by Acronis customers. If you have a problem with Acronis software, please report it to Acronis support.

By doing this you will ensure that your particular problem is known by Acronis and we'll do our best to analyze and fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Since I was still really unclear on what your particular support issue was, I've checked through your recent posts to see if I could find it and link it here for Acronis Support. However, from what I can see, it seems that you don't have and haven't used Acronis at this point o_O

9. ErikAlbert

Of course I didn't use TI. I was planning to buy it for my new computer, until I started reading all these problems with TI.
    I only wanted to mention, how IMPORTANT backup software is for users and not just a matter of bugs, that need to be corrected.
    It's not about Acronis only, it's about any backup software, that doesn't work properly.
    TI9 has been released way too early and there are enough posts to prove it. You can't do this with BACKUP software.
    Users do NOT complain, when there aren't any problems. So each posts with a complaint is for me a valid one.
    I'm glad I've read these posts, because I'm warned and more than once.

10. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

With due respect: you've seem to lack the main picture here. Bear in mind Acronis softwares is in use by hundreds of thousands users - big companies as well - have a look at the press releases on the Acronis website.
    In this context, it's fairly predictable some from all those hundreds and hundreds of thousand users do encounter problems on ocassion - and post over here.
    The wrong conclusion/assumption you are making is a great number of users do encounter problems. In case - say - 1 percent is encountering problems, the post over here. The overall picture is quite a different one: 99 percent do not encounter issues, and subsequently you'll find no posts from them over here. Be assured in case - for example - DCS/Process Guard did have hundreds of thousands customers, you would see a vast amount of users having issues as well. They would represent a minority from all users as well.

Bottom line: keep things into perspective. Never ever did hurt anyone...

11. vlodek

vlodek Registered Member

Based on my experience with Acronis software I very much understand the point that ErickAlbert is making. I also didn't upgrade to TI9 and DDS10 because I found many posts and threads on Acronis forums reporting issues with the new versions of their products. I was just wondering how Panther can tell for sure that only 1% of Acronis products users do encounter problems? One can get quite different impression while going through unhappy users' opinions that were posted on all Acronis forums. And if you look at the numbers how many people visit and read these posts probably trying to find solutions to their issues. I have joined this forum because I could not get solutions to my issues through Acronis email support. I have a large collection of emails exchanged with Acronis but without getting solutions to my issues. Regarding the press releases on Acronis website I noticed that most of them go back to 2004 and 2003 and refer to the previous versions: TI8 and DDS9 that were working OK, but now on the forums I can find many posts referring to the most recent upgrades that cause issues sometimes as serious as Blue Screen of Death. No wonder that I am not encouraged to take the risk of upgrading.

12. Pheylan

Pheylan Registered Member

As some one that is seriously considering both Corporate Workstation and Snap Deploy, I'm doing what I always do with evaluating software - check the user forums. I'm very disappointed in these. I can completely see the points made by the two Acronis detractors. I have checked every entry from the last 3 months regarding Snap Deploy, and all of them are just as terryconners says. I think the point that is being tried to be made is that without people being able to see some resolution it looks like Acronis is unresponsive. It is not the responsibility of the user to maintain the image of the company they get their software from...I would think that would be obvious. Regardless, this is a legitimate rant that is affecting the potential business of Acronis, and I hope that the administrators are taking not of the increasing dissaffection with which the community views their support and products and do something. It doesn't matter how many people are having success, if the ones that are seeking support are getting dropped and no resolution is either found or announced to the community, it will deter many, or cause them to entertain other options where they would not have earlier *points to himself*

13. jroberts

jroberts Registered Member

Users can contribute too. I find in general that when some users get a solution to their issue they don't bother to share it. Problem fixed, move on.

14. terryconners

terryconners Registered Member

Ok I work for some big ole company owned by a guy named bill.
    I have the ability to ask every lab manager in my company there opinion/experiences on said software with one email.
    Well I did it. With 50,000 employees in software I think I will get some metrics.
    Lets see what happens. Im not bashing here just stating facts and need resoulutions. I have lost alot of bandwith with product and want to hear form those who haven’t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.