Tips for Windows 8 users!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

So you're telling me that Windows 8 is slower than Windows 7 on your computers? Because I don't believe you. It has to at least boot faster.
    And who cares how an OS was "meant to be used." And OS can be used however you like it.
    As long as you don't use Metro apps, Windows 8 in desktop mode is almost identical to Windows 7 visually. Apart from the Start Menu, which Search beats anyway.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

right you are! :thumb:

another tip, let say you have a Metro app open and you want to close it.

you can either grab at the top of the screen and drag all the way to the bottom to close it.

an easier way for mouse users is just to point your mouse to the top left corner, click on the desktop.
    then from the same hotspot, right-click and Close the Metro app that was open.

if you have multiple apps open you can expand the hot spot to see them.

once again, point to the hotspot at top left, and bring the mouse down a little to see all the apps running.

3. moontan

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

No, I'm telling you that 8 is just as fast as 7, neither faster nor slower.
    And it does not boot faster, because I do not use its hybernating boot (fast startup). But if you want to compare hybernating boot times between the two add the following service in 7 https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335028 and you will see that 8 boots maximum 1-2 seconds faster than 7 (in slow machines).
    Almost, but uglier.
    I guess that you never used the search function in 7... yes, 7/Vista (and XP if you added windows search) did come with extended search function.

The only things that 8 is superior than 7 is metro, the market, and touch capabilities. If you toggle them there is no point in upgrading other than the placebo effect "I have the latest and greatest windows".

Panagiotis

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. pandlouk

Sure we can.

The first thing that windows 8 users should do is read the
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/beyond-basics#1TC=t1
    and especially the new shortcuts
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/new-keyboard-shortcuts#1TC=t1

edit:
    Another thing. Windows 8 users (advanced users that take full advantage of the OS capabilities) should check this list
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/18b53644-6c6b-4d32-820a-53134a0913f3
    identify the features that consider necessary/critical and start searching for programs that provide the same functionality(good luck with that).

Panagiotis

6. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Metro search is quicker.
    Well sure, if you ignore the performance and interface improvements, better Explorer, Task Manager, syncing, plus all the little other improvements which I'm not going to list.

I don't see the point in not upgrading.

7. pandlouk

It is but I thought that you suggested me not to use metro?:rolleyes:
    The performance improvement in fast system is non existent unless you can intercept the milliseconds of difference (that I highly doubt).
    Task manager is for me the only real improvement over 7.
    Explorer is not good for me. I prefer XYplorer and this is what I use be it 7 or 8. So I'm not interested in this.
    Syncing. I can do the same in 7 with the skydrive app
    https://apps.live.com/skydrive/app/9a65e47d-606a-4816-a246-90f54bf7a3ea
    Plus all the features that are either removed or stripped down in 8.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/18b53644-6c6b-4d32-820a-53134a0913f3
    Plus, I can/will add the (minor) 8, missing features in 7, from the great third party apps that will make them available.

Without metro, touch and the market for me 8 is a downgrade not an upgrade.

Panagiotis

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

You need to be on the start screen and then open settings charm and select tiles from the top.

Toggle it to 'on' and all admin tiles will now show on start screen (you can delete one you don't need)

Another thing you can do which gives you a 'old type' menu of sorts is to right-click in bottom lefthand corner of taskbar (not on little start screen window) Where it says toolbars hover over and you will see an option for desktop. Tick it.

Now at the other side of the taskbar you will see two of these >> click and you can see a handy list. No need for a hack. You don't like it? Just untick.

Attached Files:

9. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

For example, Windows 8 supports DirectX 11.1 and a better video subsystem, Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 8 supports WDDM 1.2 with stereoscopic 3D, global hardware acceleration, Target Independent Rasterization, and other things and Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 8 supports Secure Boot, Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 8 supports hybrid boot and Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 8 supports mobile broadband out-of-the-box and has airplane mode, Windows 7 doesn't. The Multi-monitor support is greatly improved in Windows 8 compared to 7. Windows 8 supports native USB 3.0, full 4K Advanced Format and near field communication, Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 8 supports Windows To Go, Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 8 has hotspots, charms bar, Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 8 has a lighter memory footprint than Windows 7. And much more numerous under-the-hood and surface minor/major improvements to all aspects... all these without mentioning new and improved versions of software integrated by default (such as IE, WMP, Task Manager, File Explorer, Family Safety, Windows Defender, Action Center, etc) and Modern UI, Windows Store and its new ecosystem of apps, new Reset or Refresh, new File History, a system-wide SmartScreen (not restricted to IE), new file system ReFS, new and improved NTFS and chkdsk, new lock screen and login features, a new, faster and easier installer, new Hyper-V, new Storage Spaces, new Microsoft account integration to provide additional functionality, such as the synchronization of user data, and integration with other Microsoft services such as Xbox Live, Xbox Music, Xbox Video (for gaming and multimedia) and SkyDrive online storage, etc etc etc etc.......................

Of course, some of these things depend on hardware as well. Many of them, Windows 7 simply can't have and won't have. Some of them can be added to 7 with third-party software.

Oh and there is this as well (faster delivery of improvements and fixes to OS/software/drivers/etc thanks to changes in the infrastructure!) --> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/10/09/updating-windows-8-for-general-availability.aspx

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

This is turning into a yet another fruitless discussion whether Win8 is better or not over previous Win versions. As if any side would allow to be swayed be the other. Bottom line is if you tried and liked Win8 then great and if you did not great too. Don't spoil each others enjoyment.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

For new users there are some Kindle books for free and cheap. You don't need an actual Kindle; you can read the books in your browser (on their "Cloud Reader") or download the free Kindle app for your computer or mobile device.

Introducing Windows® 8: An Overview for IT Professionals (free)
    http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Windows®-Professionals-Microsoft-ebook/dp/B009XBTVNY/

Top 100 Tips for Windows 8 ($.99)
    http://www.amazon.com/Top-100-Tips-Windows-ebook/dp/B009UAFZXI

It's also worth doing a search and filtering by price, because they seem to change around the free ones a bit
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?k...9142565&rh=n:133140011,k:windows 8&sort=price

There are lots of websites with 5-20 tips each, but it's worth the $.99 to have it all in one place.

I also suggest that new users spend a little time customizing the start screen after getting all your software installed; remove the stuff you don't want shortcuts for, put shortcuts in groups, and add/remove any tiles you want (email, calendar, weather, etc.), because once this is done it all comes together better and it stops it from seeming like different "modes" and more like just the fullscreen Start menu that it is.

12. moontan

when using Metro apps keep an eye for a process called Runtime Broker in the Task Manager.
    it should be using 2 megs of RAM.

if it's a lot more then you probably have a Metro app with a bad memory leak.
    clock apps are known for this.

just uninstall the bad apps, then log out/log in

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I am actually using the metro now.I unpined everything except my own apps and a few things like computer,control panel etc. basically a desktop with quick access to everything I need.

14. pandlouk

Not really, at least not for me.
    I like them both.
    The difference is that, for me, on a non touch system windows 7 offers far better experience than 8.
    On a touch system 8 really shines and there is no comparison between them.

What I do not like is that in 8 MicroSoft stripped or crippled administrator features like "Previous Versions", "diskpart","disk management", "hardware manager","chkdsk" reports.

And have no reason to promote either 8 or 7, since I am not in MS payroll. But I do find funny that some of the more loud supporters/promoters of win8 in wilders and many other forums, registered either in october or in november.

Panagiotis

15. Wild Hunter

Thanks for finally using and admiting the "for me", instead of arguing as if you were the voice of everyone on 7 (BTW, I'm on 7 at the moment, believe it or not, I didn't upgrade to 8 until now - see my sig).

Disclaimer: This is not an attempt to convince you of anything as I don't know how you use things, lol. I'm just commenting on the supposed issues with my point of view because I think it may add info to the thread which may be relevant to readers and lurkers:

"Previous Versions" -> The feature called "Previous Versions" was replaced by File History with improved functionality AFAIK.

"diskpart" -> The Disk Management tool included with 8 safely does everything you could do with "diskpart" AFAIK.

"disk management" -> "Disk Management" is included (and improved) with Windows 8 as well: Right click My Computer, select Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management

"hardware manager" -> Are you talking about Device Manager? This happens to be included with 8 as well.

"chkdsk" -> It's there and was improved with 8: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/09/redesigning-chkdsk-and-the-new-ntfs-health-model.aspx

Your point being?...

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No, let's not make that point. This is a "tips" thread, so, from this point forward, let's talk tips, tips and more tips only, okay?

17. Wild Hunter

Agreed!!! :eek:

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Windows 8 Codecs (Shark Pack)
    http://shark007.net/win8codecs.html

Issues like white icons or issues with explorer can be caused by Windows trying to create thumbnails for your media; this should help. It also does the following:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.