TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ultim

ultim Developer

2. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Ultim, the steam profile for steam is not working. I need to set steam to allow outbound to browser the store. Just reporting. :)

4. ultim

ultim Developer

Can you please check if it works with Steam+Web browser profiles (no Outbound)?

5. kupo

kupo Registered Member

It worked! thanks

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Maybe this FW will give LnS some competition soon. I hope it becomes a very strong packet filtering Firewall, and highly configurable.

7. ultim

ultim Developer

Okay, here is TinyWall RC2 (second release candidate), let's hope this works out better than the previous one. As hinted in one of my posts earlier, TinyWall had a problem running on Vista because it tried to rely on a feature that Vista does not have. The good news is, this should be fixed now and TinyWall will run on Vista. Bad news is, on Vista there is no tampering protection for the firewall rules, simply because I haven't found a way to achieve this functionality on that OS. Windows 7 users still get full protection.

Other than that, I did my best to fix all issues reported in the forums and added/changed some messages in the installer to clarify some common misunderstandings.

Changelog:
    - Fix: Disable Windows Error Reporting for TinyWall to prevent generating disk-eating report files
    - Fix: Do not crash if Windows Firewall logs are absent, but continue without monitoring
    - Fix: Check startability not just for direct service dependencies, but for the whole dependency graph
    - Fix: Prevent controller crash when doing "Whitelist by window" on an app that has higher privileges
    - Fix: Skype Home and Contacts cannot load
    - Fix: Steam unable to browse store
    - A new, more general method for crash handling
    - Separate "Web browser" from "HTTP(S) client" profile
    - Add streaming capabilities to "Web browser" profile
    - Also allow port 25 for e-mail clients. This is just a hack for lousy providers.
    - New applications support (mostly some download managers)
    - Add "Important notice" page to setup
    - If the uninstaller is not started using the tray application, notify the user about the correct way to uninstall

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

What's the difference between HTTP profile and web browser profile? Will the installer overwrite rules that we have for web browser profile or do we need to change it manually?

9. ultim

ultim Developer

The HTTP profile is equivalent to the old web browser profile, it only allows ports 80 and 443 outbound. The new Web browser profile also allows some additional ports to allow streaming media using the RTSP, RTMP and MMS (mostly microsoft and flash) protocols.

The installer will overwrite the profiles, but not the profile associations. So if the standard for program X was to use the browser profile, but the new standard for X is to use HTTP profile, it will keep using the browser profile. But all programs that use the browser profile will now have the additional media streaming ports allowed. This means your settings will keep working, but if one of your programs does not stream multimedia over the web, you can tighten the rules by re-assignning some of them the new HTTP profile.

10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Just curious about IP blocking, what does "it cannot handle a few million IP addresses in a timely passion" means? It would be a great addition to tinywall.

11. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

yes. I don't see a reason why most firewalls don't have these feature :'(
    I hope Tinywall will have this thing before its stable release.

12. ultim

ultim Developer

It means that when I tried to load one of the PeerBlock2 lists into the Windows Firewall (I dont remember which one), it took more than 15 minutes. And I have a fast computer.

Not before the first stable release. But development does not stop there, so just because it won't be supported in version 1.0 does not mean won't be support ever. However, in the near future I need to concentrate on other features, like a community submission feature for profiles and custom port/profile support. 1.0 should be out soon (I don't see any more problem reports), but be assured that development of new features continues.

13. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

14. ultim

ultim Developer

With Windows only, you can't. I modified TinyWall to do that, parse the peerblock list then feed the constructed firewall rules to Windows Firewall. But when I saw that it takes 10+ minutes to "feed", I left out that feature from TinyWall since it would be pointless. I will need to find an alternative route.

15. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thank you for your quick reply in previous question!
    Another question, "Always ask for exceptions" what exactly does this do?
    I see it is unchecked by default. I checked it just experimenting and nothing seems to be asking.

16. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Not much action here, I hope this firewall hasn't gone under before it even got going! o_O

17. ABXZone

ABXZone Registered Member

I love this firewall, hope to see more updates :)

18. ultim

ultim Developer

By default TinyWall does not ask you for the profile of a recognized application. If you check this option, it will. So there will only be a difference for applications that are in TinyWall's database.

19. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi! Sorry for the lack of updates in the past 2-3 weeks. No, this firewall has definetely not "gone under", it just happened that because RC2 was stable some other things took higher priority. I was extremely busy doing university and other non-hobby related stuff.

However, I did plan on how TinyWall should evolve in the future and I decided to include 3 more features before 1.0.
    - Custom port exceptions (yes, you've all been waiting for it!)
    - Import/export
    - Improving on the timer capability

This also means there will probably be one more RC, but who cares how I call them as long as they are stable, right? ;)

I've also got a looong list of new features to work on after 1.0, in fact so long that I'm glad I wrote them all down because I bet I wouldn't remember all of them. So as long as I stay motivated the way I am now the future of the project is guaranteed. I will announce some of them when 1.0 is out. I will try to finish RC3 soon.

Cheers,
    ultim

20. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I understand the university stuff since I'm studying electronics engineering. Good news about the new features. BTW, what does improving on the timer capability means?

21. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

22. ultim

ultim Developer

It means 1) adding a new timer option "Until next reboot" and 2) making the timer functionality more easy to access (easier to find).

23. kupo

kupo Registered Member

24. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

AdMuncher as HTTP(S) client allows IE9 to connect when it should be blocked. Uninstalling AM, IE9 is blocked like it should be.

Attached Files:

25. ultim

ultim Developer

skudo12:
    Thanks.

Seven64:
    That is because AdMuncher works by redirecting your browser. When AM is installed, your browser connects to AM on your local machine and AM makes the real connection to the remote server over the internet. So in this case you would need to block AM. The symptom that IE can connect even when it is blocked when AM is installed is a side-effect of how AM works. TinyWall does not block IE in this case since with AM IE never tries to connect to the internet, only to your local machine. edit: This also means that you would need to give AM the "Web browser" profile.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.