TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I would like to see this if it isn't there already;)

2. ultim

ultim Developer

This is basically a learning mode. How would that work for programs that use ports from a huge range? For example, Skype, torrent clients, ftp, Steam, Live Messenger etc. Learning mode would be useless/very limited for these and many more applications.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I see! :thumb:

btw download of Tinywall installer is blocked by IE9 smartscreen filter.

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I think it's because smart screen check for the popularity of the file. or something like that :D

5. ultim

ultim Developer

About IE's SmartScreen filter: http://www.malwarehelp.org/internet-explorer-9-smartscreen-filter-2011.html

Basically, once a lot of people download TinyWall, this message will disappear.

6. Konata Izumi

yes.

*After installation I cannot start IE9 on sandboxie, I got COM ERROR in sandboxie. (did not try it on other apps) - shutting down Tinywall fixes this.

*When enabling password protection. Tinywall give me an unhandled exception error. something regarding about FIPS algorithm. ( the reason is probably on GPO setting "System Cryptography:Use FIPS compliant algorithm for encryption, hashing and signing" which I have enabled )

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I have no problem opening IE9 in a sandbox after installing, though I haven't tried password protection yet.

8. ultim

ultim Developer

Investigating sandboxie and FIPS problems. Will get back to you when I have something.

9. Konata Izumi

Tested Tinywall on GRC ShieldsUP!
    result: PASSED.

Thank you! btw FIPS affects adding Application Exceptions>Add Application too.

I also got a notification from Tinywall system tray-Communication with tinywall service encountered an error after I click apply button in the GUI.

Im pretty sure the system is clean, I just did an image restore of a clean windows image backup, fully updated with tons of GPO settings tweaked before installing Tinywall.

EDIT: oops I forgot to install .NET framework 3.5 before installing the firewall. I will re-do the testing later.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  10. ultim

ultim Developer

.NET framework 3.5 only needs to be installed on Vista. Win7 comes with .Net 3.5 built in.

11. ultim

ultim Developer

I have fixed the problems for FIPS, but IE9 under sandboxie seems to be fine. Just as skudo12, I also cannot reproduce the problem.
    The fix for FIPS will be in the next update.

12. Konata Izumi

Thank you! Are there known problems when running TinyWall under Standard User Account with Software Restriction Policies?

13. ultim

ultim Developer

None yet, but it really doesn't depend on TinyWall. It depends on how you configure your restriction policies. If you allow TinyWall in your policies, it will work. skudo12 had some problems with his restriction policy, but he solved it and I think it turned out it wasn't TinyWall's fault. skudo12, can you let us know what was the problem?

14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I just reboot like what you said and it installed properly, I'm using parental controls in my standard user account. The problem in installing is what as the link you gave me described. BTW, it's working properly in my standard user account

15. ultim

ultim Developer

Well, again I have a large number of changes done and piling up, waiting to be released. This time there won't be any great new features, but the changes improve all aspects of TinyWall, including UI/usability, security and performance. The only problem I've got is deciding when to release it. Probably won't take too long :)

16. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Any hints with the improvements? :D

17. ultim

ultim Developer

If I tell you everything now, what would I write into the changelog? :D

18. ultim

ultim Developer

Oh what the hell. I'm starting to be afraid of turning testers away because I release a beta too often. Well, don't worry, I'll reduce the pace once the first stable release is out:) Which, by the way, we're not too far away *I think*, at least if no big issue pops up.

I'm saying all this because I've just prepared Beta4, bringing you nearly two dozens of changes. I realized that the changelog this time might be a bit too detailed for the casual reader, so before posting the full log, here is an abbreviated one:

- Should be faster both on startup and also in menu reaction speed, though latter will only be noticable on slower systems.
    - Corrected a few bugs, crashes here and there, and the annoying "I'm loading for almost two minutes on a fresh boot".
    - The app detection scan is much faster, and I don't just mean "faster by 700ms", I mean literally "multiple times faster" (well, on my machine at least)
    - Periodic update capability. TinyWall could already automate the update check and the update process, but now it can periodically do that, and if it is enabled, it will try to update once a week.
    - The service can do (and will do) logging now, for informational messages it uses the Windows event log, and it will create full crash reports into a file if it happens so. Not to worry though, I haven't seen the service crash since Beta1.
    - Various UI fixes, clarifications, smaller glitches and so on. Pretty boring stuff, as well as a few security-related enhancements and bug fixes.

Now if you are really eager to read the technical and detailed changelog, I won't spare you...
    - In tray hover popup, output "TinyWall" and firewall mode
    - Change text of zone info in menu to more informational style
    - When adding auto-detected applications, avoid duplicates if the same apps already exist as exceptions
    - Also open tray menu on left mouse click
    - Fix controller crash if the app-detection scan is stopped and restarted
    - Fix controller could crash on failed update
    - Use FIPS compliant algorithms to ensure function on a FIPS-140 enforced system
    - Fix TinyWall might not recognize known executable because of case mismatch
    - Drastically faster app-detection scan by lazy evaluation of file properties
    - Increased communication performance between controller and service
    - Prevent losing existing connections when switching firewall mode from Normal to Outbound
    - Show application icons on the Application Exceptions tab
    - Mark deleted/missing executables with special icon in Application Exceptions tab
    - It is possible to request update as non-admin, but then user will be asked to elevate
    - Fixed that it was possible to update TinyWall in locked state (required some trickery, but it was possible)
    - Periodic automatic update check (once in a week, optional)
    - If there is a password, automatically lock service after 10 minutes of controller inactivity
    - Sometimes the false icon is displayed for the current firewall mode
    - Reduce startup times by including pregenerated xml serializers
    - Fix desktop load delayed because of TinyWall stalling the SCM
    - Log service events to Windows eventlog
    - Generate detailed report if the service crashes
    - Reduced size

As usual, you can get it from http://tinywall.pados.hu/download.php, but if you already have it installed, you probably just want to use the built-in updater, which will preserve your current settings. Enjoy :D

19. Konata Izumi

Great job! looking very stable~
    will test this when I woke up. brb :D

zzzzzzzzzzz

20. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Good job with the improved performance, start up is indeed faster.

21. ultim

ultim Developer

Just when I thought that we are finally nearing a release, I've found a Polnish forum about TinyWall where two poeple are having greater problems with TinyWall. (I don't speak Polnish,
    but Google Translator comes to the rescue :) ) They don't specify what is wrong exactly, but what I can make out of the machine-automated translation is that for them TinyWall is not working at all.
    I take these things seriously, the program not working at all and such, and I also must not forget that if there are two such people in the small number of testers, then there might be thousands such
    in the world. The reason I'm not writing directly into their forum is 1) i don't speak Polnish and 2) their forum rules probably prohibit foreign languages (like most forums do), so I also can't post in English there.
    Instead, I'm just hoping ichito (am I right?) will kindly forward my message to them.

So here are a few questions that will help me shed some light onto the problem (they can post the answers there). Please answer as many as you can:
    - When does TinyWall start not to work? Does it not work immediately after installation (without restart), or does it not work after a restart?
    (If it works after a fresh install but not after a reboot, this should have been fixed in beta4).
    - When TinyWall is not working, what does it say about your zone in the top tray menu entry? Is it "Unknown zone"?
    - When you say TinyWall is not working, what is the exact message you get from TinyWall for which operation?
    - What is your OS? Please specify as exactly as possible, not just "7" or "Vista", but also edition, #bits and language.
    - Do you have another firewall installed?
    - Do you have any HIPS software installed?
    - In general, what other security software are you running?
    - Did they use group policy to tighten their security?

I understand that they would like to wait for me to release a stable version, but unless I can figure out what is wrong, I cannot fix the problem. No others have reported similar issues, so I must rely on them to help me solve this.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  22. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

How would I allow Hideipvpn to connect in a safe manner?
    It needs svchost upd ports 500(isakmp), and 4500(ipsec). I believe in both directions.

23. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I installed the previous version of TinyWall and received the message below when trying to change to normal protection mode.

tinywall.jpg

I received no errors on installation either. I also see no events in the event log. I am using Win 7 64-bit pro.

24. ultim

ultim Developer

LT2P/IPsec or PPTP will only work in the current beta if you set the firewall mode to disabled. The next release will contain support for these VPN technologies and it will be possible to use these protocols when the firewall is enabled.

25. ultim

ultim Developer

Hello 1000db,
    I am currently tracking down this bug. This bug only happens to some people, please take a moment to answer the following questions:
    - When does TinyWall start not to work? Does it not work immediately after installation (without restart), or does it not work after a restart?
    (If it works after a fresh install but not after a reboot, this should have been fixed in beta4).
    - When TinyWall is not working, what does it say about your zone in the top tray menu entry? Is it "Unknown zone"?
    - When you say TinyWall is not working, what is the exact message you get from TinyWall for which operation?
    - What is your OS? Please specify as exactly as possible, not just "7" or "Vista", but also edition, #bits and language.
    - Do you have another firewall installed?
    - Do you have any HIPS software installed?
    - In general, what other security software are you running?
    - Did you use group policy to tighten your security?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.