Tinywall - are these ports Open? How to close or block?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Divergent Droid, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Divergent Droid

Divergent Droid Registered Member

I'm using Windows 8.0 with Tinywall. I see under Show Connections if I have Open Ports checked, I get a list of what I presume to be, Open ports (open meaning unblocked IMO). Yet, if I right click on any of the ports, there is an option for UnBlock. there is also an option to kill leading me to believe these ports are open and active with outgoing connections. . - If these ports are Blocked, then How can they be open? This is confusing and misleading to me. Are these ports open or blocked?

There are a lot of ports most "duplicates?" Two lsass.exe's many Services.exe's and scvhost.exe's, many System(4)'s and a few Wininit.exe's The only one in the list I know is the Chrome.exe I manually set a rule for so I could access the internet.

I don't want anything going in or out that I don't specify, the PC should look and act as if it's not connected the the internet at all save when I tell it to open Chrome. The state on all these ports are Listening - why listen when i don't want or need them to run? - or do I? Are these ports somehow needed for Chrome to work? What Exactly are these ports, how can I determine if i need them or not, and how can i block them? If I can block them, I don't want to ever see them in this list again. I ask several question here, can someone please go through the post and try to answer all of them. Thank you!

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Now these advices from me!

I saw you act quite agressive in this thread when you were asking advice about and were given good advice:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...going-data-when-you-cant-configure-it.389459/

This is not a discussion forum to me but rather give/get advice, and you acted ungrateful to say say the least in that thread, low number post account also say some to me! So my knowledge is given as it is and most likely i won't reply you back. I won't get myself into such arguments/answer you anymore, but this to general knowledge help to everyone, including you:

Block your TinyWall, maybe even reboot and then go into Connections Window. What you see listening is because Windows services running etc.
    Then go to Windows firewall and you can see that all rules are blocked by TW.

Tinywall is not a firewall itself in a sense that all is done by Windows firewall. Yet it is a firewall in a sense that it prevents Windows firewall tampering.
    Only rules that can be applied to WF are by TW.

Next go read the TinyWall special exceptions:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/beta-testing-tinywall.309739/page-37

Posts #906 and #907 have them given in pictures, not all but those that are usually checked etc.

Go search yourself the net about what windows services you might possibly disable and be warned not to cripple your Windows.

3. Divergent Droid

Divergent Droid Registered Member

Thanks for the information.

In the other thread I was defending my position against an apologist who had to get on a soap box first, while replying to my thread. (Such as you just did. Whats up with you people?) As that was uncalled for, I defended my position. In my opening post, I only mentioned microsoft once. Bill is the one who made it a point to prove me wrong. I was not the aggressor at all. Anyone can plainly see that, and thank you for posting the link to that thread.

Thank you for your information. I will consider it as I study this issue.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  4. haakon

haakon Guest

Your questions suggest, here and in that router "discussion," you are at the outset of a the steep learning curve many of us have climbed (and slid down) in a discipline as complex and convoluted as any science.

Legitimate questions absolutely which you should be asking, but perusing here expertise on the likes of lsass and scvhost is akin to posting up in a sport motorcycle amateur racer's forum for a "what exactly are" for those two little screws on the top of the forks. The best "25 words or less" you're going to get is they adjust and balance the rates of compression and rebound. And no end to how members have theirs set.

For here...

Many ports aren't "going in or out" to the Internet.

Windows is a network operating system with processes and services requiring ports for your computer's network interface, the local area network (LAN, your router) and the wide area network (WAN, the Internet). Those processes and services exist for Linux and Macintosh and Android and etc. and etc. albeit with names and tweaks respective to themselves.

Be aware that Tinywall is hard-core geek. Should you insist on running it, the thread Jarmo P referenced and its 1100+ posts is the best 25 words or less resource you'll find here.

Google and Wikipedia are your friends for networking, theory and practical. And suspension compression and rebound on sport bikes.

Look up svchost.exe for some real fun. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2016
  5. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

No, not like that at all. TinyWall is an easy firewall for most people who don't install much software. Even to them usually it is not a lot of trouble to whitelist what is needed to make their many installs allow connect to internet.
    It is maybe not the best first introduction to 2 way firewalls and I think many start with Comodo, ZA or what ever 3rd party FWs that are available. Few payed firewalls anymore available, except what comes with the security suits.

Those firewalls have their shortcomings. Take some CPU, lots of features that might or not work. Hard to uninstall clean. Allow too much.

In contrast TW is light on your computer. Some so called other controllers like your GlassWire, they don't give a tamper free protection to Windows firewall. At least in the free version. Binisoft I don't say any about for the lack of knowledge, it might be good if it really can prevent too the tampering and also if it can give a control to windows firewall with as much restriction as Tinywall can. As a payed version, TW is free. But I read the thread sometimes and see a lots of problems, only they might be cause of greedy customers.
    Plus it will give popups that people love. Someones not, like me.

6. haakon

haakon Guest

Compared to the latest products where, if one drills into to the settings, the firewall can present a one-time block/allow, you have to admit Tinywall is at least kind of sort of geeky. ;)

Hard-core was meant the expertise within the "what exactly" and "only one in the list I know is Chrome" context of this new member's inquiry.

As well, from that "How does a Hardware Router help..." thread, the requirements for one who doesn't use credit cards or a cell phone: "In short, I trust no one."

Except for Wilders members.

I'm all for, figuratively speaking, being in full contact with the world in total facial, vocal and physical anonymity, no infrared signature and light rays bending around me. Not gonna happen.

Not to mention, it's becoming apparent the extensive use of resources and strategies that purport to hide, encrypt and deflect can tend to draw attention from "them."

7. boredog

boredog Registered Member

;)Haakon? like TOR for example?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.