Tiny10 & Tiny 11 — lightweight and debloated Windows 10 & Windows 11 for less powerful computers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Feb 3, 2023.

1. guest

guest Guest

Tiny11 is out—a lightweight and debloated Windows 11 for less powerful computers
    By Taras Buria @TarasBuria - February 3, 2023
    Tiny11
    Website (Internet Archive)

2. guest

guest Guest

What is Tiny10 (Lightweight Windows 10) and How to Install It
    By Arjun Sha @mearjunsha - April 6, 2022
    Tiny10 (version 1809 and 2209)
    Website (Internet Archive)

3. guest

guest Guest

Dev explains why Tiny11 Windows is so tiny yet secure despite no TPM, Secure Boot
    By Sayan Sen - February 3, 2023

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Getting ready to check out Tiny11 on a micro PC as soon as it downloads.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same. :cool:

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What's the cheapest way to get a W11 Pro valid license to use on Tiny 11 Pro?

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You can upgrade for free with a Windows 7, 8.x or 10 license.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks but I don't have a spare W7,8,10 license.

9. roger_m

In that case you could use it without activation. You can use Windows 10 and 11 without activating, with very few limitations. While you are supposed to buy a license, How-To Geek says the following.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

tiny 10 and 11 are fixed builds. they reduced it so much that windows never will get any updates, only signature updates. i would say this also affects ms office which is tied to this. no edge means fallback to low featured, insecure and no longer supported internet explorer. so users are forced to hold a lot of software in background.

at least its a gameplay from some users to trial whats possible or not. its a niche product and from the aspect of violating microsoft rights like other builds in the past... usage seems questionable and ofc no long term because of missing windows updates.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK cool, let me know how it performs. I really hate Win 10 for being so bloated, there are way too many svchost.exe services running, causing Win 10 to use way much RAM than Win 8. Upon startup, Win 8 uses only 1GB of 8GB RAM, while Win 10 uses 3GB of 8GB with almost the same configuration. The only difference is that Win Defender is disabled on Win 8.

12. guest

guest Guest

196MB of RAM is apparently enough to run Windows 11
    By Taras Buria @TarasBuri - February 6, 2023

13. roger_m

I have run Windows 11 on a 17 year old laptop with 1GB of RAM and without any third party software installed it ran well. However, Microsoft Defender was making my computer run slowly due to excessive CPU use, until I disabled realtime protection.

14. Rasheed187

Cool, but you know what I don't get? How was this guy able to make Tiny 10 and 11? I mean Windows isn't open source right?

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well with another Win OS debloated for W7 I forget the name. You had to have your own W7 media. And create a debloated W7 through the program GUI.

16. roger_m

Tools such as NTLite allow you to remove components from Windows.

17. Rasheed187

OK cool, I couldn't really picture it. So basically with these tools you can make your own Windows ISO installation file. Of course I did know that you could remove certain components, but only after you have already installed Windows.

18. Rasheed187

Have you already checked it out? I watched a couple of videos on YouTube and those people were impressed. I would love to install Tiny10 on my laptop, but I'm afraid I will run into trouble. I would mainly do it to save on RAM usage.

19. xxJackxx

I have not yet. This was going to be for a small device we produce and other priorities and issues have occurred. The ice storm with an extended power outage last week did not help. We are still intending to check it out as time allows.

20. Rasheed187

OK cool, didn't know about the ice storm. In the videos on YT that I saw, they didn't seem to run into any troubles. But of course I wonder if it would be the same on my Lenovo laptop.

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.neowin.net/news/tiny10-...weight-and-serviceable-windows-10-to-old-pcs/

22. longshots

longshots Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the delays as there are probably quite a few people waiting for your review.

23. xxJackxx

Unfortunately other priorities have come up at work. We still intend to evaluate it but haven't been able to get to it.

24. xxJackxx

Ok, we actually did get to mess with it some thing morning. It is trying to do updates that are failing and in addition to bypassing the need for a TPM chip, it ignores one that is actually present on a device that is Windows 11 compatible and says there isn't one. There were enough quirky issues that we are dropping any further testing. It seems like a good idea but it does not meet our needs at this time.

25. longshots

longshots Registered Member

That's all I needed - thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.