Tiny Watcher and Sentinel

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Amid current hot trend of HIPS waves, a friend of mine mentioned to me these two little apps: Tiny Watcher and Sentinel. He said they could be very early version of HIPS. It sounds very interesting, just wonder any member of wilders has any experience to share? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. Kaupp

Kaupp Registered Member

could you provide some links please?

Kaupp

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

4. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I've never heard of Tiny Watcher, but I do have Sentinel installed on my computer, even though I never use it. Basically, Sentinel checks the MD5 signature of your files to see if there is any alteration since its last scan. If it finds any anomolies, it then uses your antivirus to scan the file. It is a very watered-down version of HIPS, and I wouldn't even begin to classify it as a HIPS, as it can't do anything to protect you, other than the AV scan. Really, most of your up-to-date firewalls and security software do the same thing (plus a whole lot more), except they're much more efficient. I also did a search and found that Tiny Watcher does basically the same thing, although it seems to monitor real-time. If you have any other HIPS installed on your system these programs would be redundant. I would say that, depending on your level of expertise, there are many more free apps out there that will do a better job, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've been using Watcher. Just learned the new version is Tiny Watcher. Not a bad little app. Just a quick heads up as to whats changing on your system.

Pete

6. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

RE: Tiny Watcher - I went to the author's website to do some more reading on it, since the download sites have minimal information. This actually seems like it might be a pretty good program. I already use Winpatrol, so I don't know how much overlap there would be, as both monitor many of the same areas. However, it seems that TW might cover a little more ground. I'm half tempted to try it out. For you that have used it, how much memory does it use? I know it's supposed to be light, but I was wondering how light?

7. Peter2150

7300K for about 5 seconds and then it's gone.

8. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Perman- Thanks! I hadn't known that Watcher had been updated. I have used this superb app for several months & find it to be an excellent addition to my security. Since Watcher (TINY Watcher now) runs on-demand only, it has zilch impact on system resources. The update strengthens its CRC - a very significant improvement.

@all- Watcher is a File Integrity Checker (FIC). Sentinel is also an FIC, but can be configured more in detail than is possible with Tiny Watcher.

Fingerprint is yet another option, if someone wants an even MORE configurable FIC. You'll find the download about 9/10ths of the way down the page I have linked to. It's free.

For users of DrWeb antivirus, there is a truly *industrial strength* FIC called ADInf32. It can work in total partnership with DrWeb, and thereby become a VERY powerful protection against all types of malware, including zero-day. For an in-depth explanation of AdInf, see FanJ's scholarly explanation on THIS Wilders thread.

@spindoctor- The app you linked looks good but it is a real-time monitor whereas the other integrity checkers mentioned herein are on-demand. Other folks might be interested but I do not want any additional real-time monitors on my system Tiny Watcher does a good enough job for my needs. I do appreciate the link, however -- good to know.

10. Peter2150

HI BG

I upgraded to Tiny myself. Mine runs on startup automatically. I think that may be a setting or you turned it off somehow.

Pete

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes, at installation TW is set to run at startup, but I don't want it to do that. TW's config panel doesn't offer a way to change that, so I used TW's own startup manager to remove TW from running at startup.

Now TW runs strictly on-demand, which is what I want.

aloha... bellgamin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.