Tiny Personal Firewall and Port explorer confilict

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sukarof, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am trialing Tiny Personal Firewall and so far I like it.
    But I have problem with Port explorer. Everytime I try to start PE it crasches. Is this a known conflict or is it my system? Any solution?

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

both are working as it should at my place (home) but as to how or why your PE crashes...I'll need to pass.

glad you like Tiny though

good luck

3. sukarof

Thanks for your reply, now I know that I it is not a general bug, so I wont have to waste any time searching for a problem that I cant do anything about. Now I know that it is something in my system.

Yeah, I like TPF so far. I have been trying to understand CoreForce for a while, but I didnt have the patience to learn philosphy behind it (I´m not that skilled :) ). TPF seems easier to understand. And I understand that TPF is very powerful. I especially like the sandbox feature in TPF.

4. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Are you trailing the Pro of Standard version?

Itsme

5. sukarof

It´s the PRO version

6. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

It is quite possible that some needed system privileges, code injection, or whatever is blocked by your TPF rules, which lead to your Port Explorer crash. You may consider checking your TPF log or using activity monitor to find out if it is the case.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  7. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

What you might try is to disable all active guards for this application. If after that it still fails to run.. then something must be wrong with the setup of your computer.

go to Administration Centre
    go to System Protechtion
    go to Active Guards screen
    enter a new line (Add New Application), add find the application (PE) in the dropdown list next to 'by ID'
    In Access uncheck all boxes

Try PE again. If after this it still fails.. then... something on your system is very likerly interfering with PE and TF.

Next In addition you could also disable the Firewall... and see if this helps

Let us know how you are doing.

Ciao
    Itsme

8. sukarof

Thanks a lot for your replies, much apreciated.
    I did this:
    and PE crasches no more! :)

Thank you again!

9. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Thank you for the reply.
    This means that one of the active guards is preventing PE from running normally. What you could do now is check and uncheck the activie guards one by one to see which one prevents PE from running. It would be interesting to know.
    Best regards
    Itsme

10. sukarof

Ok, I tried enabling the active guards one by one and it was the "system privileges" that crasched Port Explorer.

11. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

What you could do next is remove the line (PE) from the Active Guards screen and add a line for PE in the high Priority Rules of the Privileges screen.

(by default 3 privileges are denied: "Forced Process/thread Termination", "Inject Code" and "Acquire System Privileges". )

One of the 3 is likely stopping PE from running. Imo it is likely or Code Injection or Acquire System Privileges.

If you play around with these setting we'll now for sure which one kills PE.

Ciao.
    Itsme

12. FatalChaos

FatalChaos Registered Member

About Tiny being easier to use: i notice that first you don't have as many pop ups, don't have to mess around with many settings, etc. BUT, once tiny gets a conflict with a program, it can be a *()@#Q$*()#* to get rid of. Core Force generally did not have that issue b/c the way it was designed (for me at least).

13. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

There is an old saying says that, if you feel something is difficult to do, it is because you do not really know how to do it; if you really know how to do something, it would never be difficult for you:).

All the so called 'conflicts' are only caused by BLOCK rules. I almost always have the BLOCK rules set to be monitored, i.e. if something is blocked by a rule, there is always a log for it. With the log, it is not that difficult to locate any 'conflict'. If one has not set the BLOCK rules to be monitored, which means that there is no log, then it is tough...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  14. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

If an application runs without problems with all TF modules disabled...then you cannot call this a conflict.
    Ciao
    Itsme

15. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Yeah, I agree.

16. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Yes, but conflicts do exist.

I also use Oxygen Phone Manager for Nokia and Symbian phones and even with all TF modules disabled the program will just not run. I have to uninstall TF and then OPM works without problem. I think that could be called a conflict. Until now I did not receive a reply from Tinysoftware why TF prevents this application from running.

Ciao
    Itsme

17. Singletrack

Singletrack Registered Member

Taking a gamble that one of you uses Dameware Mini Remote Control. I have been running TPF for years with Dameware and all was fine. The new version 5 releases of Dameware will not work. I have to completely uninstall TPF to get it to work.

Yes, I did all the advanced TPF troubleshooting first. Trusted App, advanced block rule, disable all mods, nothing worked. If anyone comes across a reason/fix I'd love to hear about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.