tiny firewall review needed

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tomazzzi, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I agree:). Here is the Autohide Design.

View attachment 176804

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2006
  2. crookit

crookit Registered Member

Just trying this one, sure is a very comprehensive firewall.

Passed GRC Shields Up & PCFlank tests with flying colours.

Only problem encountered so far was with utorrent & ewido being blocked by the system, but seemed to have figured that one out.

Have tried Outpost on previous occasions but prefer Tiny.

So far so good.

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I used to like Outpost in the aspect that I was hoping for their new version (3.5) to have more 'advanced' features, but it seems as if they decided to go the opposite direction and water it down hoping the marjority of users would like it.

And for Tiny... Since CA has aquired Tiny they not only have seemed to discontinue support and new features, but have most certainely dropped all user abilities for importing Snort rules, which maked Tiny's IDS useless without going through a lot of trouble just to get old rules working.

Here are some links for users registered (or planning to register as it's free) over at Tiny's support forums):

Info on CA 'dropping' Tiny

Info on end of Snort in Tiny

Seems like all CA has done is switch up the GUI some...

4. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

Hello,
    All my ports are "Stealth" except port 113 (shows up "Closed").

How do I make port 113 "Stealth"?

5. timcan

timcan Registered Member

If you use a router,just use port forwarding in the routers settings.

6. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

It's a home computer- anything else I could try?

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

You do not need to worry much about the 'stealth' of a port as far as it is closed. There is nothing TPF can do to stealth a single port. You should check if there is other software/hardware trying to use or block port 113 on your computer.

8. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

The titles of the links are a little bit misleading to me:)

The first link provides no info on CA 'dropping' Tiny at all. Instead, it is only the complains from TPF users about the current status of TPF and nothing more. One TPF developer told the TPF forum that TPF is still under development and there would be a new release soon. So far we still could not see the release yet. I hate such a development in silence. You know, silence can kill people. But I figure that they probably are making 'CA favored' big changes, good or bad, to the software. That needs time. Also, the software development 'style' probably has also been changed after the acquisition. Previously, the development cycle was short, but we were all beta testers. This may not be the case of CA.

As far as the Snort import capability of TPF - Yes, it is dropped from TPF. And no other commercial firewall is allowed do it either. It is because of the copyright issue from Snort. This does not mean that TPF users can not use Snort rules though. Users need to import rules by themselves with some other freely available utility. We sometimes love copyright, but sometimes we hate it, don't we? I personally do not think that's TPF's fault.

People complains that there is no TPF support at this time. The truth is that the support from Tiny never seems exist at all:D . There is nothing can be said about the future of TPF now. People are generally not so optimistic about it. On the other hand, ZoneAlarm is still quite a good firewall after the acquisition from CheckPoint, isn't it? No one knows what's going to happen.

I have considered other possible choices to replace TPF. I have not found a satisfying solution yet. Even after the combination of three or four other security applications, I still could not get all the functions of TPF. I am also curious about what the next release of TPF would look like, so I will continue to use it and then make a decision later if I have to.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  9. Mr. Y

Mr. Y Registered Member

I went to "Shields Up" website and my computer failed the "stealth" at port 113. I'm not going to give this anymore thought.

Thankyou

10. cc7211

cc7211 Registered Member

It's my first time to post and forgive my English :oops: .

After trailing so many firewall products in the market, I found Tiny is the one can help me most. I knew its support sucks before I bought it (pricey actually:'( ), but this firewall can do so many things the others cannot. I ain't no expert here but I found that what makes Tiny standing out is its File and System protection functionality. I use them often to control and protect the system registry and folders.

The only thing I complain about Tiny is that it doesn't have the cookie control ability o_O , so I need to use the other tools to fix this hole.

Tiny,IMHO, is definitely a fine ,powerful and unique firewall available today,I do hope that CA will not ditch it in the future. Just as Yahoo said, it's very difficult to find a replacement of Tiny.:-*

11. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

12. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Mr. Y, if you are behind a router, then don't be discouraged by port 113 failing "stealth". Most home routers show that port as "closed" instead, which is okay. If you want, you can forward it to a non-existant ip (an ip not in your router's available range in DHCP) If you were trying to scan your pc firewall using Shield's Up or any other online port scan it won't get past your router; in other words, it's only your router getting scanned. You would have to place your machine's ip address (assigned to it by your router) in the router's "DMZ" (demilitarized) zone. If you do that, don't forget to disable DMZ when your done.

13. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I never used Tiny, but the I use Core Force http://force.coresecurity.com and it seems to me that it is what you're looking for.

14. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

It's possible that you have some sort of server using that port.

15. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with Core Force, as well as many other HIPS, is that it is still in the beta stage and its function is very limited compared to TPF. It is still very difficult to find a product as comprehensive and mature as TPF on the market so far. I am watching all the products, but I am tired of beta testing so far.

16. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Never used Tiny, but CF seems quite comprehensive to me (if you take your time to create rules, of course). Certainly far more than any other free firewall/hips I've seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.