TIME TO REFORMAT AGAIN

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mr.Blaze, Apr 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D Yup it that time of the year of pc cleaning but need little help

im on a gateway pc 700 series i think dont rember how to format this pc it tricky lol that and i have to make sure cd rom reads on start up

last time it was nightmare as in bios cd rom auto run was disabled so instilation cd's wouldnt install dat sucked lol

also need to know what microsoft spyware not to install that so call needs a so called system restore point bs

for example windows mediaplayer 9 will not uninstall.

also direct x 9 wont uninstall

and i belive service pack 1 wont uninstall not to sure.

can i pleas get a list of microsoft stuff when i go to update not to get you know the stuff that they say will not uninstall your stuck with for the rest of your life.

and to make a system restore point typ upgrades i hate those.

2. With proper System Maintenances you wouldn’t need to re-format AGAIN, nor would you have issues uninstalling that of which doesn’t become embedded into the Operating System (i.e. DirectX…). And why the worry about Uninstalling Convenient Updates like DirectX is beyond me… Though DirectX isn’t meant to be uninstalled, you can use specific 3rd party Software for Removal of DirectX Updates…

Also if you in Reference to Installing Windows XP, you should properly not worry about Disabling Default XP Services until after completely Updating…

Following Windows XP Updates is unnecessary for most;

1)   Windows Journal Viewer
    2)   Euro Conversion Tool
    3)   Windows MovieMaker 2 (If you aren’t going to remove the Default MovieMaker Software from your Machine you should go ahead and Update it…)

Following Windows XP Updates which you should Install whether or not you’d be requiring.

Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Express)
    -
    Security Update, February 14, 2002 (Internet Explorer 6)
    810847: February 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    Q329441: Critical Update
    814033: Critical Update
    Q329834: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Q329390: Security Update
    Q329115: Security Update (Windows XP)
    328310: Security Update
    810565: Critical Update
    810833: Security Update (Windows XP)
    810577: Security Update
    814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP)
    Q323255: Security Update (Windows XP)
    Q329048: Security Update
    811630: Critical Update (Windows XP)
    329170: Security Update
    331953: Security Update (Windows XP)
    -
    813951: Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1
    Q327405: Recommended Update (Windows XP Professional)
    814995: Recommended Update
    Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 (Anything in Reference to .NET Framework, unless you know and have the need for them don’t bother Installing/Updating)
    Q322011: Recommended Update
    327979: Recommended Update
    Q810243 Update: Watch television shows recorded by Media Center PCs on other Microsoft Windows XP PCs
    Windows Messenger 4.7 (If you going to leave the current Windows Messenger Installed on your Machine you should update)
    Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer (Windows XP) (Not necessary)
    -
    DirectX 9.0a End-User Runtime
    -
    Windows Media Player 9 Series (Windows XP) (If you going to leave the current Windows Media Player Installed on your Machine you should update)
    -

To Disable “System Restore” in XP Goto Start Menu\Settings\Control Panel\System and click “System Restore” TAB, and Tick "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and Click OK button.

And to remove its caches Goto Windows Explorer and in the Menu Goto Tools\Folder Options… And click on “View” TAB, and then Scroll down the "Advanced settings:" List until you find "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and unTick-it and click OK button…

Using Windows Explorer Goto the main C:\ Drive, right click on the supposedly hidden Directory “System Volume Information” and then proceed to “Sharing and Security…” and then click “Security” TAB. Then click "Advanced" button, access "Owner" TAB, and under "Change Owner to:" List tick your Logon Informatics and tick "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” and click Apply Button…

Depending on your Status you can be-capable of right clicking the “System Volume Information” Directory and DELETING it, proceed to all other Installed Drives…. ;)

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

The best place for this would be the Gateway website. If you were having trouble booting from cd-rom (I think that's what you were referring to), the boot order probably needs to be changed in cmos. The website would probably have the "correct button" to press to get into it upon boot.

If there's a cmos jumper on the motherboard, you may be able to reset defaults that way. *I would try the first option, though.*

Don't know how Gateway does a format from their recovery media, so can't really help w/that, but it probably walks you through when the recovery cd boots.

Make sure also that your Gateway-supplied media is in good shape! ;)

4. Mr.Blaze

:Dopps sorry forgot to say im runing windows me

sorry about that way difrent then xp

why blaze no want direct x 9 and windows media player 9

it because they do embed them selfs in the operating system so much so that i cant switch back

plus im not stupit anything that says your stuck with me you have no choice is a really bad thing

for examp-le windows media 9 knows i dowenload mp-3 and it makes them unreconizable cause they came from a file shareing program

so they dont show up nicely its this typ of spyware i dont like if you dont belive me have a look

and that why i want to avoid all the nastys when i go to choose what i update at microsoft web site

Attached Files:

5. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hello Mr. Blaze,

Gateway has a service called Faxback available at:

(800)846-4526

You can have documents such as: How to reload a computer using the System Restoration CD's sent to a fax machine. Available 24/7. As I recall, there is a list of all available documents that you can have faxed to you as well.

By the way, don't forget to CLEANLY uninstall Goback first, before attempting the reformat.

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

6. Mr.Blaze

ohhhhhhhhhh cool thx for the reminder i almost wouldnt have thought of that lol

thank you thank you huggggggg

7. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

All version of Direct X, intergrate into the OS, this is how they were designed. Direct X 9.0a is fine, I would install that as new games and graphics drivers are going to use it.

8. Mr.Blaze

ok so direct x 9.a ok but the windows media 9 and service pack no no's right

i just dont want that nasty stuff like windows media 9 if you know what i mean so any list of what not to update cause of that typ of thing is very much aprechiated

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Again, here might IEClean help.
    I'm not sure about Media Player 9, but for previous versions IEClean says this about its ability to block Media Player Monitoring:
    Quote:
    "Media Player 7 has already earned the scorn of privacy advocates for its insistence on calling home to Microsoft and providing detailed information to sites on what you view, what you listen to and what you have in your digital media collection. This function disconnects the "spyware" portion of Media Player to prevent it from "calling home" and providing demographics data to sites you download from."

10. Ph33r

Ph33r Guest

Everyone should know by now Microsoft Windows XP is nothing but a big Privacy issue and if you choose to Install and stay on-it still like I then you shouldn’t be all paranoia, Learn how to Disable Features in Microsoft Windows XP which would make Phoning home possible…

I’m a proud user of Microsoft Windows XP Professional Corp with Service Pack 1 Installed and all the SP2 Hotfixes… And I constantly am using Microsoft Windows Media Player v9.x to play my Movies, TV-Shows…

On Microsoft Media Player 9.x Updating/Installation you get a Dialog with Privacy Options which you can disable, and/or you can go into Windows Media Player Options and Disable Features like “Start Player in Media Guide”…

<IMAGE1>
    http://142.177.19.126/Phant0m/Privacy.gif

<IMAGE2>
    http://142.177.19.126/Phant0m/Player.gif

Disable the necessary Privacy Violation Features either from the Applications or from the XP Services Area directly… And use a Software Firewall with Application Filtering Layer and why worry about Windows Updating? Not to mention utilities like XP-Anti-Spy http://www.xp-antispy.org/ exists for a purpose you know. Whether you don’t do Windows Updates, Privacy Violations still occurring in Microsoft Windows XP for an example; "Search Assistant UI" DLL Module Phoning home upon Execution of “Search\For Files or Folders…” or “Search for Computers…”, so if you aren’t capable of handling yourself on Windows XP then you should degrade to an previous Windows OS or jump to Linux or something other-than “Microsoft Windows”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.