Time and Date Settings

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Where is all the locations that the time and date can be set in the computer. In control panel it is correct but some where in this box it is confused. I know I deleted something and it indicated that it was done months ago. Today my wife ordered something over the internet and it gave the date as Jan. Please help.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

right click the time in the task bar and click adjust date and time

Attached Files:

3. WilliamP

That is the same as the control panel. It is correct. Is there any other place?

4. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

There is only two places. 1) Is the your Operating Systems settings (Time Control Panel under Windows.) 2) The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) which, houses the system clock as well as other settings. Shouldn't be messed with unless you know what you're doing. If your system clock keeps losing time its most likely due tot he CMOS battery being dead.

5. WilliamP

Thank you Comp01 you may have hit it on the head.

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

No problem at all. Most people forget about the CMOS/BIOS/System clock. The battery only lasts about 1-3 years. It'd cost a fair amount (About $35-50 USD here to replace it.) to replace via a Computer shop. If you feel comfortable about opening the case on your Computer you can do it quite easily. First startup your system like you would normally, whiles its at POST (Power on self test, the place where some system info shows up, like memory, etc) should say something like "DEL to enter setup" sometimes its F1/F2/F3, or DEL, it should say, after you are in the BIOS setup screen, make careful note of ALL settings on paper (And where they are, etc) and then shut down, unplug everything from the system, open the case, should be a slot with a silver button/cell battery, depending on how new or old the system is (If it was made after 1996 or so.) its most likely a CR2032 Lithium Cell battery (Or DL2032, they are the same, just the DL2032 will say its for Medical use.) you can pick up either a CR2032 or a DL2032 at RadioShack or any other Electronics store for about $2-3 USD. Carefully remove the old battery (Can use a very small straight-edge screwdriver from a eyeglass repair kit.) - depends on the motherboard on exactly how to remove it, some you can just slide it out. After removing it put the new one in (Make sure the Positive and Negative (+ / -) sides are facing the same way as the old batteries was!) turn your system on, enter setup, make sure your settings are the same, and set the time.

7. WilliamP

Thank you for your help. I have been inside this thing several times. Changing the battery doesn't concern me ,only recording the settings and setting them back. Never had to do that before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.