TI9 scheduled back up taking less than 1 second??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SamWise, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamWise

SamWise Registered Member

I'm using True Image 9 on Windows XP Home and have done a full back up to an external HD that has been partitioned successfully but with warnings.

I set up a scheduled task to do an incremental back up once a week. I have selected the original full back up to save the incremental back up to - if that is the correct way to say it.

None of the scheduled backups seem to have worked. The log says they all started. Then there is the warning Status changed to low priority error, then it says that the backup completed with errors. But the time frame from start to finish is less than 6/100 of a second. It doesn't seem right that the back up could possibly have completed in that amount of time.

I setup a test so I could watch it. A little pop-up ballon comes up and says the Acronis Scheduled Task has started and that is it. Nothing more except the log entry.

I tried changing the settings as suggested in some other threads I found on this site and it still did the same thing.
    I'm a newbie and I have searched around on this forum to see if I could find a concrete solution but I haven't had a lot of luck getting clarity on the issue so I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Is your back up drive connected, running, and most importantly showing as recognised by XP?

My USB drive can be connected and running - but enumeration has failed so XP ignores it - TI starts and then as you say will immediately disappear.

Colin

3. SamWise

Thanks for replying!
    As far as I can tell the drive is running and connected. There us a secondary USB plug that is only suppossed to be plugged in if the HD isn't getting enough power. But I can see the 3 partitions in Windows Explorer and when I double click on the original backup files in the partitions Acronis does start a restore operation. Is this evidence that are recognised?
    How can I tell if enumeration is failing?

Sam

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

In the system tray (the one with the clock) you should see an icon with a green arrow over the top of what is supposed to be a grey hardrive.

You can also check by looking at your external drive when you power it up, the harddrive light should flash as the drive is interrogated.

If your drive is bigger than 80Gb it probably needs to use the external power supply.

Colin

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Just an aside comment. I wouldn't run the external on just one USB cable if two cables are provided.
    Drawing all the power from a single USB port may fry it.

6. SamWise

Thanks again for your help!
    Both cables are plugged in but they're plugged into a USB 2.0 hub. The green arrow icon is in the taskbar and when I open it is does recognise the HD and all 3 partitions in it. The HD light is on as well, so it is running.
    I only have two USB ports on my laptop, thus the reason for using the hub. I am going to shutdown and connect the HD directly to the laptop (both cables) and test the scheduled back up again to see if the way the HD is connected is causing the problem. I will let you know what the result is.
    BTW - the HD is 60GB.

7. SamWise

I connected the HD directly to the laptop (both cables) and did a test of the scheduled backup. Same thing happened as I posted in my original message above. So this didn't solve the error and I'm back to square 1.
    Can anyone help?

Once again, this is what is happening:
    Original full back up was done and completed with errors. I set up a weeklyscheduled back up but none of them seem to have worked. The log says they all started. Then there is the warning icon saying Status changed to low priority, then it says that the backup completed with errors.
    The time frame from start to finish is less than 6/100 of a second. It doesn't seem right that the back up could possibly have completed in that amount of time. Please help!

Thanks in advance,
    Sam

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Sam,

I think you would better disable scheduling for the time being and run TI manually until the problem is solved. No point adding one more variable to the equation.

Have you enough free space on the internal drive to store the image on itself? It can be done, just ignore the warning. Validate the image on the internal, then copy it to the external and validate the copy. Don't forget to delete the image from the internal HD before you create a new one.

Try to avoid the hub if you ever can, especially while diagnosing.

9. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Sorry if I missed some of this already answered.

“Original full back up was done and completed with errors”
    Were you able to Verify this image? If it is corrupt (or TI thinks it is) that may be way the INC don’t work.

10. TheWeaz

So, your FULL completed with errors? Can you see what the error was?
    Are you still trying to add INCs to that FULL, or did your create a new FULL (one without errors)?

11. SamWise

I will keep this in mind, but that was the whole point of purchasing the program - to have the backups automatically run.
    I'm not by the computer now, but when I have a chance I will give this a try and let you know if it works.
    Will do.
    I did the full back up way back in August believe it or not. My logs aren't available right now but if I recall correctly, I did verify it with more errors.
    This is an interesting idea. I will go back and try to verify the original back up and see what happens. I will also look to see what the errors on the original back up were. Looks like I have some more work to do. Thanks and I will let you know what I find!

12. TheWeaz

I would also try and mount/plug the image and see if the contents can be viewed.

13. SamWise

That would be the image of the full back up, correct?

14. TheWeaz

Yes, the FULL image.

15. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

The manual approach I recommended was meant to be temporary, for better control while diagnosing. You will be able to return to scheduling when you resolve the problem, of course.

I reread your first post where you mention warnings while partitioning the external HD. Something may have gone wrong there, but the test I proposed (imaging to the internal HD and then copying the image file to the external) should bring it up. Or you may redo the partitioning, taking a note of the warnings if they reappear.

Are you able to copy a common file from the internal HD onto the external and open it from the latter? That would be the first thing to try if you didn't already.

16. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Not trying to confuse the issue, but if TI can't 'see' the drive when it tries to perform a scheduled event, the error message is misleading as it does say completed with errors - but it won't have actually made or altered a file.

Colin

17. SamWise

Hello,
    I'm back again and working on all the recommendations...
    I checked my logs and the original backup DID NOT complete with errors, just a warning saying Priority changed to low but the backup completed just fine.
    I've attached a screen shot so you can see better.
    After verifying the original backup today, which completed successfully, I also mounted the original backup and I was able to open files on it just fine.
    I copied a file from the internal HD to the partition on the external HD and it copied and opened just fine.
    It appears that the partitions are ok based on the tests above but I am not sure of the best and quickest way to go about storing the image on the internal HD without it taking hours. The original full back up is on the external HD. Should I copy it to the internal HD and then try doing a manual incremental backup to it?
    Or should I just try making an incremental backup to the internal HD making a new file?
    Could anyone offer a step by step approach to doing what bVolk is recommending? The aim of course is to get the scheduled backup to work with the external HD though.
    Many Thanks!
    Sam

Attached Files:

18. SamWise

I tried the scheduled Incremental backup again to the original full back up on the external HD and the same thing keeps occurring. I'm finally able to post a screen shot of the error and how fast it completes...

Attached Files:

19. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Sam,

You can find illustrated instructions here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=29880

For the test I proposed you may image just a single partition, sending the image file to any partition on the internal HD with enough free space on it. Where the image will be stored is determined by the path in the filename you input for the image file. Then validate, copy, and validate again on the external.

Your main diagnostic tools should be Validate and Mount, not the entries in the log (though useful).

Sam - you really should learn TI first, at least the basic image/restore functions. TI is a powerful and therefore potentially dangerous tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.