TI9 build 2289 - Backup completed with errors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TimW, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimW

TimW Registered Member

Dell Laptop (Inspiron 2200) booted on Acronis CD and made backup of whole of the internal disk onto USB2.0 disk (NTFS) . The internal disk consists of 3 partitions
    C:\ NTFS
    Dell Diagnostics FAT16
    Dell Restore partition FAT32

About 9G in total - split into 4.7G files

The backup finished with the error message.

"Backup Archive creation has been completed with errors"

A verify image failed half way through with image is corrupt.

Can't see any way of getting more info.

Any Suggestions....

Tim.

2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Reading your posting something striikes me as being a potential problem. The three 'source' partitions are very normal and should not be a problem. My concern is for the destination drive which you say is a USB 2.0 drive configured as NTFS. I find this strange in that all USB drives that I have seen come as FAT32. I would expect that your FAT and FAT32 Dell partitions on the C: drive might not migrate well to an NTFS partition. Just a thought, I don't know the answer.

3. TimW

TimW Registered Member

I have reverted to my previous version - V8 build 786 and it all works well. It allows me to create an image exactly as in my previous post and verify it.

It does however take 2 hours vs 25mins - i guess that it is running the USB at USB1.1 speeds not 2.0, but that is a small price to pay if it works.

I am just grateful that for me the problems have occurred when creating a backup and not when needing to restore an image. I feel for those that have lost data.

I really think it is awful that Acronis have released such buggy software as a final product.

I will be reverting back to V8 and will monitor back here in a few months to see if the problems have been fixed before trying V9 again.

Good luck to all other V9 users.

Tim.

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Tim,
    You might try installing the latest build for version 8. This is build 937 and it seems to run very well. It might help with your download time issues.

5. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

NTFS format for the external drive is the right format. The errors are caused by TI9 and not NTFS.

As you already know, using TI8 solves the corruption problem. The slow speed (including 937) is because Acronis' Linux drivers provide USB1 speed.

If you want high speed restores and clones (5-10 minutes) with TI8 you will have to create the BartPE CD.

By the way, running TI8 from your hard drive to create an image should cause the image to be created in 5-10 minutes. Restoring an image that way will be very slow as will be using the Acronis CD until Acronis fixes TI8.

Good advice above to upgrade to TI8 build 937.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TimW,

Could you please create the sysinfo.txt file (please see Acronis Help Post for the instructions) and send it to Acronis Support along with the link to this thread? This will allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. TimW

TimW Registered Member

A slight problem the machine does not have a floppy. I am trying to use a USB memory drive (128M).

Tried
    mkdir /tmp/mnt
    mount /devfs/discs/disc2/part1 /tmp/mnt
    ls /tmp/mnt ---- looks good
    sysinfo > /tmp/mnt/sysinfo.txt
    umount /tmp/mnt

Put USB drive into a Windows PC explorer sees file but trying to copy or open file I just get "cannot find file" error message. Putting the USB drive back in Acronis Linux machine and file exists and I can cat its contents OK.

Any Suggestions? Am I missing a mount option? My Linux is getting a bit rusty.

Tim.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TimW,

Please try the to perform the following actions to get the sysinfo output:

Boot from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a Flash disk to a USB port and issue the following commands:

# cat /proc/partitions

This will give you the list of partitions/drives available in your system.

For example:

8 0 127744 scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

3 0 80417183 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

3 1 10241406 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

3 2 20482875 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2

3 3 1020127 ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3

Flash drive is visible as 'scsi'. If there are some scsi devices in your system you may find your flash by partition/drive size. If the flash is partitioned it`ll bring the list of partitions as well.

Then you need to create a mount point for your flash and mount it.

# mkdir /mnt/tmp

# mount -t auto /devfs/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /mnt/tmp

There could be some warnings but its safe to ignore them. If mount fails you may try to use 'vfat'(if the flash is formatted to FAT file system) or 'ext3fs' or 'ext2fs' (if its formatted to ext3 or ext2) parameter instead of 'auto' .

Make a directory on your flash drive to save files there:

# mkdir /mnt/tmp/sysinfo

Check whether the drive is mounted correctly for write access:

#ls /mnt/tmp

This will give a list of files/folders located on the drive.

Save 'sysinfo' and unmount the flash drive:

# sysinfo > /mnt/tmp/sysinfo/sysinfo.txt

# umount /mnt/tmp

Sent us created sysinfo.txt file from the flash drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

9. TimW

TimW Registered Member

Many thanks to Bruce and Bobdat.

I have updated to the latest V8 build 837.

The pointer to BartPE is very much appreciated. BartPE plus V8 and a load of other recovery tools will certainly be my recsue boot media. A brilliant toolkit.

BartPE plus Arconis V8 created my 9G image in 10 mins as opposed to V9 boot CD that created an unusable image in 20mins and V8 boot CD in 2Hrs.

It has been worth my hasstle of V9 to discover BartPE.

Thanks

Tiim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.