TI9 : backup 15minutes , restore 2 hours

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by arnouf, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnouf

arnouf Registered Member

Hello,

I've got a problem (if it is one !?)
    I've True Image 9. When I backup my disk (2 partitions/1disk/60Go), the process during 15 minutes. The image is made on external disk 120Go USB 2.0, under Windows XP.
    When I restore the image, from the external disk, via the Acronis rescue disk, the process is during 2 hours and more.
    Is it normal? The rescue disk does contain the USB2 driver or it is USB 1 ?

Thanks for your answers.

Arnaud

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Yes, the Linux based boot rescue CD does contain USB 2 drivers. However, it looks as if they're not fully compatible with your particular USB subsystem (i.e. USB Controller and external HD enclosure chipset), which resulted in your system falling back to USB 1 transfer rate.

Regards

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The inability to use proper drivers during an emergency restore is a glaring flaw in TI.

Surely, Linux must have some means to create a restore CD with appropriate driverso_O?

Telling folkes to use a 3rd party tool such as BartPE is just no way to support a product, in particular because TI has no control over whether such 3rd party solutions will work at the critical time of an emergency restore.

And, in the case of BartPE, one has to have a Win XP license to build a BartPE disk. So the solution does not work for those not having Win XP.

4. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

The direct answer to your original question is that the slow restore is "normal" for TI8 and TI9.

Your question about the rescue CD having USB1 or USB2 drivers is best answered by saying it is supposed to have USB2 drivers, according to Acronis Tech Support.

However, according to the vast majority of posters in this forum, the rescue CD's for TI8 and TI9 have almost never performed at the faster USB2 speeds. Their performance seems extremely hardware-dependent, with faster speeds on older hardware and slower speeds on most new, Intel-based hardware. Certainly, there are some exceptions.

If you want faster speeds for both cloning and imaging you can create the BartPE boot CD with the Acronis TrueImage plug-in and you will have the fastest speed possible for your machine.

Note that each BartPE CD will work best only on the computer it was created on or one which uses the same drivers and OS. Creating the BartPE CD allows you to use your machines native drivers under Windows XP which accounts for the superior speed.

Also, note that with the BartPE CD/Acronis plug-in has no capability to perform CD or removable media-based imaging because the plug-in has limited functionality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.