TI8 & Beware XP SP2 - Problem Solved!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chas.large.oxon, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chas.large.oxon

chas.large.oxon Registered Member

Dear All
    I have been reading the forum for some time now and I thought you might like to read some good news.

I had ATI8 build 768 installed on my Toshiba A40 laptop running Windows XP SP1. It had been working fine. I use the acronis secure zone to make a sequential backup before any installation. I don't use the Windows System Restore. Then last week I installed SP2 from the Microsoft CD supplied direct from Microsoft and although the installation went smoothly, no errors were reported and all other software seemed OK. However, when I went to use ATI8 it crashed as it was analysing the drives before creating an image - stage one of the wizard. As the PC crashed I briefly saw the BSOD with I think STOP Error at the top. It was very quickly replaced by the boot up screen. I repeated the test several times and the same crash occurred at the same time. I tried restarting with the Acronis Start Up Recovery Manager and whilst the software started, when I tried to create an image it just crashed again.

I updated the software to build 771 but this made no difference. I uninstalled and reinstalled from fresh but again still the same.

I then used the recovery manager to restore the image taken just prior to SP2 installation. This worked OK. I was now back to SP1. I then tried creating a new image with the 768 build that was in that image and it worked fine. I installed build 771 and again it works just fine. The recovery manager also works fine.

So in conclusion, like so many other software manufacturers, it appears that Microsoft have let Acronis and Us the end user down. I have used ATI since I first found it on a Magazine cover disk. I recently upgraded to ATI8 and was very happy to pay for a very good product which does exactly what it say's on the tin. And more! since I discovered the safe zone, I don't have to worry about my backup images accidentally being erased.

I use it at work on many different PC's running Win98/2K/XP(SP1) with no problems and have thanked heaven for it on a number of occasions when other software has trashed the OS.

To all the users of TI8 who complain that there are problems perhaps it's not the fault of Acronis it might just be the OS underneath.

Cheers
    Chas - Oxfordshire England.

2. zoso

zoso Registered Member

That's good news for those still on SP1, but not such good news for the numerous SP2 users including myself...

Maybe Acronis should be addressing the compatibility issue here, which they may already be doing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.