TI6.1 can't dismount image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pgoelz, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

TI6.0 build 350 can't dismount image

Yeah, I know many have moved on to the later versions of TI. But TI6 has worked great for me and I didn't want to mess with it.

UNTIL NOW........

I am now suddenly getting almost identical propblems on two machines. Both machines are Win2K Pro, one is a desktop with P3 / 256MB / FAT32 / lotsa hard drive space and the other is an IBM Thinkpad 600 / P2 / 198MB / FAT32 / plenty of HD space.

On the laptop, when I try to mount an image as a logical drive, it begins the process and then the Windows add hardware wizard pops up asking to install (I think) a "generic volume". If I say yes, it adds the volume and I can explore it but I cannot unplug it by any method except re-boot.

On the desktop, it adds the volume without the Windows wizard popping up and I can explore it, but I cannot unplug it by any method except re-boot.

This is a new problem. TI used to work 100% in all respsects. I have made small changes to both systems in the interim, but I can't put my finger on anything that could be responsible. Windows Update? One machine has a virus scanner installed, the other does not. Both use Kerio 2.x as a firewall. I do use Partition Magic to make partition changes, but I am relatively certain that at least the laptop has not been modified since TI worked.

I have not tried uninstalling and re-installing..... that's next. Short of that, has ANYONE found an answer to these mount/unmount issues? I really really like TI but these problems make me real nervous.... this is my backup program, after all. If I can't trust it 1000% it is of no use to me whatsoever.

Paul

(edited to change title to reflect correct version in use)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

Update:
    Uninstalling, removing all traces of Acronis in the registry, removing the drivers, and then re-installing did NOT correct the problem on my desktop. Same problem..... mounting an image as a drive produces two virtual drives. Both can be browsed (and are identical). Neither can be unplugged from Windows Explorer or from Acronis. All attempts produce an error window that says "Unable to unplug drive". The only way to unplug them is to re-boot.

3. RobH

RobH Guest

You say you have lots of disk space...

I recently had lost of problems with TI. It took me a few days to find out it was not a problem with TI, but I had hard drives over 137 GB in my system. With windows 98, that will not work.
    So if you have Windows XP before SP1, or W2K before SP 3, or Win98, and your hard disk is over 137GB (or 128GB, depending on your definition of 'GB') then that might be the cause of your problems.
    In that case, partition only the first 137GB and leave the rest unallocated. Some drives (Hitachi) also have a jumper to limit the drive to 137GB.

Greetings
    RobH

4. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

Nope, 'fraid that isn't it. My laptop HD is 10GB with about 50/50 main partition and backup partition. My desktop is 20GB with about 5GB the main partition and the rest for data storage.

Note that things worked perfectly on both machines until some point in the past...... the other day was the first time I needed to look in an archive other than testing it when I first installed Acronis and that's when I noticed things were not working correctly. I'll have to try it at work.... we have Acronis there on a Win98SE and a Win2K box.

Paul

5. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

OK, I tried it here at work on a Win2K box, 256MB RAM, Celeron 533. Same thing. Mounting an image produces two virtual drives. One has an icon the same as all the physical drives and the other has a different looking icon. Both can be browsed and appear to have identical contents. Right clicking on the one with the "different" icon produces a menu containing an UNPLUG option, but selecting UNPLUG produces an error "Unable to unplug....". Right clicking on the drive with the "normal" icon produces a manu that does NOT contain an UNPLUG option. And attempting to unplug through Acronis also fails.

OK, so what gives? Three machines, same problem. And I KNOW it used to work. This is making me real nervous.

Paul

6. RobH

RobH Guest

Difficult.

Try restoring an image (windows partition) from before this problem started. See if the problem is still present. If not, it is a software issue, so should be possible to correct (windows registry corrupt ?). If the problem stays, it may be hardware related (installed new devices, or changed bios settings ?).
    I know, on 3 different machines, that is very strange.

By the way, the non-standard disc icon is the one you should see on a normal mounting of an image.

7. pgoelz

pgoelz Registered Member

At this point, I am not real willing to restore an image. Not until I can trust TrueIamge a bit more. But I might do that on one machine where I have removable drives. I could deply an old image on a spare drive and check it that way.

But in the interim, I solved it the hard way.... I upgraded to TI8 and that seems to have solved it. Now it is a matter of hoping that the numerous reports of TI8 problems don't bite me.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.