TI2009 Problem with Login WindowsXP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Zecke2008, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zecke2008

Zecke2008 Registered Member

Hello!
    When a planned task of Acronis TI 2009 is running BEFORE you log in (you switch on the computer go away to make a coffee then you return and want to log in) you can't log in correctly. The wrong profile is load (here of adminstrator) even you typed to correct password! This is a great security problem!! Can anyone test this on his machine (plan a task, turn computer off, turn computer on, wait to log in a while, then try to)?
    Regards Zecke2008

2. Zecke2008

Nobody wants to finds out more about this great security risk? You could get access to the administrator account with the password of your user account! This is -indeed - a big security risk! Please try it. Thanx Zecke2008

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Is TI2009 installed for all users or single user?

Are you saying that on your system, if TI starts a task before the user has logged on, the only profile that Windows allows to log on is the ADMIN account, or that any users password then operates the ADMIN account, or that any user then get ADMIN privileges?

What account does TI log into, or perhaps more accurately which user credentials were used in the tasks log on box.

Colin

4. Zecke2008

TI2009 is installed for all users. I have nothing changed between the tasks under TI11 and TI2009 (only that I had to create them new for TI2009). The account which is used under TI2009 tasks is my user account (not the admin). When a task under TI11 was started and I logged in with my user account I get the correct access to my user account. When I do now the same with TI2009 I get access to the admin account which has a diffrent password, but I typed in the password for the user account. Very strange! :blink:
    Some more details to make it clear: I don't attempt to log in as admin. I use my user name and my user password and windows loads the profile of the admin account with all functions! Zecke2008

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I am at a loss to explain your problem.

Somethings to check at your end.

Is it possible your machine has been attacked by something nasty (other than 2009 that is :) )?

Do you have a non standard version of XP, a foreign language or one that doesn't allow Microsoft updates?

Have any updates been installed recently?

The problem is, that TI will only gain access to the logon feature of Windows via hooks published by Microsoft to talk to the security part of XP. Now this won't be the logon GUI as TI can as you know run without a user actually logging on, but the credential checking is done by another part of XP. So either Acronis are using an unpublished hook which leaves XP wide open, in which case worm and virus makers will be very interested, or TI has managed to give itself NTUSER authority, in which case a program could do anything it likes with the Windows system. It is possible to log on with NTUSER, however it's not an easy thing to do and is very time consuming, and XP itself is supposed to stop auto access to the kernel functions, I believe they actually run as protected and locked within 686 and above processors.

I suggest you raise a support ticket.

Colin

6. Zecke2008

There is nothing special on my computer. Symantec and SpyBot do not find anything and they are running always in the background looking for changes of my system. My XP is a normal german version and I have all the updates installed. Here is some other idea: when I get this strange behavior simultanous a windows update was downloaded and installed in the background. Mybe this was the reason why I saw the admin account instead of my user account even I logged with my user account password and name. I have no other idea. Thanx for your help so far, now it's a job for acronis to check this out! :D

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just a thought, though this shouldn't cause your problem, as you have a German version of Windows do you have the German version of TI?

Colin

8. Zecke2008

Hello Colin, yes I have the german version of TI2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.