TI11 Home data backup stall

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Midnight Rambler, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalDragon

DigitalDragon Registered Member

pluskey-

You're right. I did not scan the disk for errors. At the time I thought it was unnecessary because I had just last week scanned it with diagnostic software from Western Digital, when I suspected I was having drive errors. The tests revealed no errors, but in retrospect, I should have used Windows scanning as well.

I won't have time today and may not until the weekend, but I'll try that next. Thanks for reminding me of something I should have done.

2. paulcalif

paulcalif Registered Member

I have been trying for days to get Acronis 11, latest build to backup my data. It stalls every time unless I select no compression. So far it seems to work fine with compression turned off. I am running Vista Ultimate and have Norton anti virus and system works running. Try selecting no compression and see if your backups still stall.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

In case one encounters the issue originally reported in this thread (i.e. sporadical freeze during file based backup operation with Acronis True Image 11 Home Build 8053) please proceed as follows to let us investigate the issue and possibly forward the diagnostic info to Acronis Development Team:

(1) Download the latest version of Acronis SnapAPI Drivers from http://download.acronis.com/support/SnapAPI.337_s_e.msi and install them on your machine.

If the issue still persists, please install the downloaded update again with enabled logging, reproduce the issue and pick up the log files without canceling the operation or closing the application itself through Windows task manager. The log file will be created on the C:\ partition. The name of these files will be snapapi[date-time].log

(2) Create Acronis Report and save Windows System Information to a file as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

(3) Then please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alex Bogomolov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

4. DigitalDragon

DigitalDragon Registered Member

I spent much of the weekend trying to resolve this issue; I finally decided to give up and use my second SATA hard drive as an external drive rather than an internal drive. That solved all my problems. I had to decide between continuing to use Acronis or using a competitor's backup software. I've tested the others extensively and I like Acronis the best, so I decided to move the second hard drive to an external enclosure.

Getting there was frustrating, however. I did the following:

1) I tested my disks and found no errors.

2) I wanted to try a fresh install of Acronis, but TI11 and Disk Director both refused to uninstall. I tried uninstalling both with the Acronis installer and Windows. Neither worked. I tried uninstalling it manually by removing files and registry entries, but that didn't work. I've uninstalled programs manually before and never had problems like this. No matter how many times I went through the file system looking for Acronis files and removing registry entries, every time I rebooted, Acronis was back in the registry.

3) I reinstalled Windows THREE TIMES trying to get Acronis to work or to find out why it wasn't. In the process, I noticed something peculiar: when I installed Acronis AFTER installing Office 2007 Professional, Acronis stalled whenever I tried to run it with the second SATA internal drive, but when I installed Acronis BEFORE installing Office 2007, Acronis ran normally until I installed Office, and then Acronis stalled again. That suggests that there MIGHT be a conflict with Office 2007.

4) Another possible cause for Acronis' problems on my computer, an HP Pavilion a1357c Media Center PC running Windows XP, might be the combination of "unauthorized" mods I've made besides adding a second hard drive: I've replaced the standard power supply (with an Antec TruePower 450 watt), I've added a Radeon X1650 graphics card instead of using the onboard graphics, and I've replaced the stock 2x512 RAM with 4x1gb RAM (made by Crucial). It's possible that because the motherboard and BIOS are customized for HP, that adding the second hard drive in combination with my other mods caused conflicts that created problems for Acronis. Norton Ghost and Powerquest Partition Magic had no problems, however.

I hope Acronis solves this problem so I can move my second hard drive back inside the computer. However, as a former software developer (now a writer and college instructor), I know how tricky issues like this can be to diagnose. In the meantime, I'll continue using TI11 and Disk Director, but with my second hard drive mounted externally.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  5. bmbwd

bmbwd Registered Member

Turning off compression on file backups seems to have solved the problem for me. After dozens of attempts and re-installs it seems to be working.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'll have to try this when I get some more time. If this workaround works generally for this prob, it's a good indicator of where Acronis should aim their debugging to fix the problem.

7. Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler Registered Member

For those still subscribed to this thread, Acronis tech suspected my flash drive was causing this issue (TI11 couldn't lock it).

So simply removed it and data backup (compressed) to external USB 2.0 HDD was successful, however long the operation took.

Keep in mind that this fix worked for a Vista Home Premium laptop. May not work for XP box.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  8. noyb

noyb Registered Member

Seems like I’m having similar problems with a W-XP HP Media Center 7690y and two internal, bootable, HDs.

Before n after a reasonably fresh install of my C: partition ..
    Can’t install ATI 11.8053, It gets almost finished and seems to freeze.
    If I manage to get it installed, I can’t remove ATI, it freezes about half way thru.
    When I had it installed .. couldn’t run ATI, It seemed to freeze examining partitions.
    I usually give it about an hour before I decide it’s froze up.

Seems to work from the Boot CD but takes a long time to gather its info and start.

This problem seemed to start when I replaced these two drives and my external enclosure with 320gig HDs … About the same time I updated to 8053 and a few M$ updates.

I’m not sure what to try next.

Attached Files:

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

noyb, could you please do the following:

1) Collect installation log:

- Launch the product installation file;

- Right-click on the "Install Acronis True Image" button and select "Extract";

- Select the path for extracting the component and click "Save";

- Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i msi-name /l*v log-name

Where msi-name is the name of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and log-name is the path and the name to the log file you want to save the output to;

- Try to install Acronis True Image 11 Home once again and collect the log file created during the installation.

2) Please collect Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

3) Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

10. philco2

philco2 Registered Member

I upgraded from TI 10 to TI 11 (build 8053) two weeks ago and experienced the same problem with stalling during full and incremental backups. Turning off compression ("None") solved the problem.

I must say, though, that the backup file size increased dramatically. Clearly, this is a bug that wasn't present in TI 10 and requires a fix in TI 11.

Using WinXP Pro SP2.

11. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

noyb,
    Relative to your attachment posted above.
    Strongly urge that you rename your C & D drives. Having the same name on both is an invitation to disaster when restoring.

Such as
    HP1_C
    HP2_D
    or any other name you choose that will identify which is which. When using the TI (Linux) REscue CD, TI may assign different drive letters and may even change the disk numbers. You special names is your only means of correct identification. Check out my link below on drive names.

12. noyb

noyb Registered Member

Good Idea, Thanks ... Renamed them to Master and Working.
    The D: “Master” is the original install, fully loaded, updated and ready to run …
    Hopefully, a fresh install to use as a clone source for C: “Working”
    Attempted to perform the Acronis Support procedures but it takes too long to try to remove n re-install ATI even with only the Working drive connected. Looks like it would take me a couple more tries to figure out the procedures.

I do not do any scheduling or use secure zone and only backup the D: Master boot as it's updated.
    About the only reason I could use ATI installed is the possibility that I may want to mount an image.

With what little I know, I’m thinking it would be nice if I could custom install just what I need/use.
    Maybe this would speed it up or fix the (apparent ?) freeze-ups.

13. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

noyb,
    Have you run error checkiing on both drives. Also suggest you use the disk mfgr utility to check both disks.

Bodgy has an un-install link in his signature. You can search for his posts.

I suggest you remove the data cale on one drive and un-install TI. Re-install with only one drive attached.

Then reboot from the other drive and repeat the un-install & re-install without the other drive attached.

In other words, the un-install and re-install is without the other drive attached.

14. noyb

noyb Registered Member

Yes, Ran all the checks and scenarios ... Even looked for Viruses several ways.
    Got Bodgy’s info .. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m in the process of starting the New Year off with a fresh rebuild in a new HD ...
    making ATI build version backups along the way... using the ATI boot CD
    I’m just about ready to install ATI in it and see what happens.
    So, I’m bypassing/canceling any new investigations in "Last Years" system.

15. bytedisk

bytedisk Registered Member

Agreed. Two days wasted on TI11 already. Tried fixes posted here. Flaky software. Uninstalled TI11and reinstalled TI10. Works perfectly for Backup/Restore Incremental etc, If it aint broke........ I'll wait until I have another few days to waste and try the next build of T11

16. StephanWeber

StephanWeber Registered Member

17. gamick

gamick Registered Member

After reading all these posts from December and having worked with one of the techs at Acronis and getting nowhere I can add a few small items to the discussion.

Yes, it definitedly happens on XP as well as Vista
    It also happens on TI9 (my version) as well as 10 and 11.

After troubleshooting for days and reinstalling my entire system twice I came to the conclusion it was last falls update to Zone Alarm Security Suite. I installed the older version on one of the reinstalls and everything has worked perfectly for 7 weeks. Now, with no change in any software-- AND no Microsoft updates or any other updates of any kind anywhere on my system the problem just started two days ago from out of the blue. Exactly like before-- both TI9 and DD10 freeze when they start "Analyzing the partitions". I can use my TI9 CD boot up disk and restore to an earlier date and everything works fine. Go back to present and neither program works. And again, I have done nothing in the meanwhile to change my system.

As with many of you TI does all its scheduled tasks with no problem. But you can't open either program to use them from the interface. I installed the new drivers with no effect. When I ran the report program I got nothing at all. No report.

So it's not Zone Alarm Security Suite, it's not updates from the Microsoft Update site, it is not adding a particular program to your PC, it is not even changing settings anywhere on your machine, it's not just Vista or XP and it doesn't happen when you use the programs emergency bootup disk to perform any functions.

I was going to upgrade to TI 11 to see if that took care of the problem but after reading this that isn't going to happen. So like some of you mentioned I'm going to have to buy other software to do the job instead. I need the abilities those two programs provide on a daily basis and can't wait for months while Acronis figures this out. If anyone else has a theory I'd sure like to read about it here!

18. gamick

gamick Registered Member

Jez, didn't even see there was a second page of posts until I posted my last one a few minutes ago. Not too bright.

The poster that was talking about adding a drive and then having the problems start up may have something. The first time I had this problem in December I had just added an external hard drive to my system. Once I reinstalled XP Pro SP2 again and all the software (minus the Zone Alarm I thought was the problem) things worked great. As I said in my last post above I haven't changed any software, settings nothing. But after reading that other post I did just add another hard drive like I did back in December. This time it was within a day or two of the problem starting again. Last time it was close but I can't say exactly how long between the new external hard drive addition and the problem starting. That little gem along with the fact it always freezes while it is analyzing the partitions (In my case) may be a clue to what our problems are. Others it has happened when they added an internal hard drive and had to make it an external hard drive to work.

Does seem like maybe there are two sets of problems here. One with even getting the programs to start and the other TI freezes after it is actually into a backup. Mine freezes out of the gate.

Interesting. At least it's a direction to go in as nothing else seems to work. But why is it happening now when I've had TI9 for two or three years with no problems while adding internal and external hard drives. Just since December.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.