TI10 build 4942 fixes at least one corrupt file problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by desertdad, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertdad

desertdad Registered Member

This is a long post, but essentially, I went from having a corrupt restored self-extracting install file using build 4871 to not having the same problem using build 4942. The environment is restoring a directory with a single file from a complete C:\ image using both a WinXP based restore and a rescue CD based restore.

Now to the details:
    I am on a Dell Dimension 8250 with a single hidden utility partition (that works) and a single C:\ partition. I am imaging and restoring to/from a second local hard drive in the same machine (ought to be a piece of cake, right?)
    I think I am using pretty vanilla TI Home capabilities.

Purchased v10 online on Mar 4, 2007.
    Downloaded and installed. V10 fixes a .pdf file backup/restore problem. (file operation only)
    Installed v10, is actually build 4871
    Did a complete C:\ drive image
    Restored a single .PDF file using WinXP restore.
    Displayed the restored .PDF file
    Created a rescue CD
    Booted with the rescue CD
    Restored a directory and underlying files to my c:\temp directory (they contained the troublesome
    self-extracting .exe install file).
    Everything seemed to be ok.

Ran a complete scan using AV Anti-spyware v7.5
    Got a diagnostic that said I should remove:
    c\temp\drivec\download\netstat live\nsli.exe (a self extracting install file) because it was corrupted
    and unreliable. File size is 237,345.
    That was my first real clue that all was not well. I was able to delete other restored files (.xml, .txt, .chm) in the same restored directory.
    Tried (and failed) to delete the directories and nsl.exe file using:
    PowerDesk
    Windows Explorer
    safe mode Windows Explorer
    check disk (on next windows boot)
    Actual error text is "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
    Don't really know if the corruption is a directory or the nsli.exe file.
    Tried changing attributes (rejected - corrupted)
    Tried renaming the file extent (rejected - corrupted)
    Tried copying Drive(C) and downstream directories/files (rejected - corrupted)
    Downloaded a fresh copy and tried to copy the new copy to the corrupt copy
    (rejected - corrupted)
    Fresh copy is shown as same size as corrupted copy.
    Fresh copy is not compressed nor encrypted, attributes = a.
    If you select either the directories or nsli.exe file, windows runs chkdsk at next boot (thinks file system has problem).
    At least it is only a check leve chkdsk.
    Ran Dell utility partition. Ran drive checks, no errors reported.
    Downloaded a evaluation copy of Raxco DiskState program.
    Installed and ran DiskState.
    Didn't do me much good, but maybe I just didn't know all the tricks.
    Didn't report any file errors.
    Still don't know how to get rid of corrupt c:\ restored file. Pain in the butt.

Downloaded and installed the latest V10, build 4942.
    Did a complete image of c:\ to a second local hard drive (G:) (office4942.tib, 12.3GB). Validate right after Image create, Normal compression, high priority, preserve security settings.
    Created a rescue CD (CD-R) with both safe mode and full versions (.ISO image).
    Used Roxio Create Classic v7.0 to write the CD-R.

Restored c:\download\Net Stat Live new copy\nsli.exe using WinXP to G:DImage\Acronis True Image Dick\TI10 update build4942\Restore file test - WinXP seemed to go ok, returned successful result msg.
    . preserved security settings
    . did not set current time on restored files
    . did not validate before restore.
    . did check file system after restore
    . checked overwrite existing file.
    note: not sure where it came from, but after the restore using WinXP, the directory structure from the WinXP version was replicated in the upcoming restore from the recovery CD to the recovery CD target restore directory.

Booted with Acronis rescue CD, selected Full Version.
    note: drive letters changed.
    Restored c:\download\Net Stat Live new copy\nsli.exe using Linux Restore Manager to G:DImage\Acronis True Image Dick\TI10 update build4942\Restore file test - rec CD seemed to go ok, returned successful result msg.
    . preserved security settings
    . did not set current time on restored files
    . did not validate before restore.
    . did check file system after restore
    . checked overwrite existing file.
    Copied G:DImage\Acronis True Image Dick\TI10 update build4942\Restore file test - WinXP to another location.
    Copy went OK.
    Copied G:DImage\Acronis True Image Dick\TI10 update build4942\Restore file test - rec CD to another location.
    Copy went OK.

The log files have a line in them that is a warning that the priority has been set to High.

So far, build 4942 looks ok (but I thought build 4871 looks ok too, but what do I know?)

If I can answer any questions, please ask. Take into consideration that I'm a novice. My real concern is what other gremlins are out there (after the .PDF and now the .EXE file restore problems). I was about to restore to a new 160G drive which entails restoring my operating system, but now I'm not so anxious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.