TI wont backup through 2nd Wireless access point

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rkruz, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

My home network has 2 identical wireless access points (Linksys WRT54G). The wireless laptop with TI installed will operate fine through either access point. The laptop backs up to a network hardrive (NAS). The laptop will backup fine when wireless access point #1 is connected. However, TI will not backup to the NAS when the access point #2 is connected to the laptop.
    Is there a setup configuration in TI to fix this?
    Thanks for any tips

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is difficult to be specific about this because you have not given much detail of the hardware/operating systems/ and which version of TI and build number is in use.

Having said that I don't believe that any Acronis support is given to wireless net-working of any TI home products so tread carefully and test validate your backups and make some restores to a spare drive. This is most important as you need to be sure that all will work after various possible failure scenarios.

Xpilot

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The WRT54G is a wireless router. I don't fully understand how your network is configured. Can you describe it more fully.

Which router is the NAS plugged into? What is that network address?

How is router #2 connected to #1? Which ports are connected on each router?

How are you connecting the laptop to each router? Cable or wirelessly?

4. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

cable modem > broadband router(BEFSX41)
    > wireless access point 1(WRT54G) (Wired to BBR)
    >Laptop via wireless (wireless to WAP1 or 2)
    >wireless access point 2(WRT54G) (Wired to BBR)
    > NAS (Wired to BBR)

Wireless Access Points & NAS connect to Broadband router.
    Laptop connect wirelessly to network.
    Each WRT54G has a fixed IP.
    NAS has drivers on the laptop that make it look like a letter drive.
    Laptop backs up and restores perfectly to/from NAS via WAP1 wirelessly.
    When laptop is connected wirelessly to WAP2, TI will not recognize the NAS while the laptop still does.

ATI 11 build 8053
    XP SP2 up to minute updates

thanks for any tips

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

OK, the WRT54Gs are both wired to the BEFSX41. What port are you using on each WRT54G for the cables to the BEFSX41?

Just to be sure I understand. With wireless connection to WAP2, you can read the NAS in Windows Explorer, but when you run TI, it can't see the NAS.

However, with wireless connection to WAP1, both Windows Explorer and TI show the NAS.

What is different about the wiring between the BEFSX41 and the two WAPs or the settings of the two WAPs?

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Out of those three routers on your network, I hope that you have turned off DHCP on two of them and are running only one DHCP server.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

8. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

well sure it does! I backup and restore daily over a wireless 54G link. What difference should it make as to the physical layer if its TCP/IP? Slower sure, but not supported?!!! thats just passing the buck and making for a nice easy lazy answer. I went from Norton to Acronis, might be time to take a look at how Norton has improved.

9. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Marat said that the recovery version of TI does not support wireless networking. Certainly you are correct about the Windows version.

10. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

Once the backup is on the networked hardrive via wireless I can simply attach it to the computer and recover via the USB port if Acronis wont work with IP.shouldnt matter if it wireless or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.