TI V9 build 2302 test results

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Xpilot, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xpilot

    Xpilot Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2005
    Posts:
    2,318
    I have been testing the recovery of full main drive images from a slave drive safe zone and from an external USB HDD.

    Recovery from slave drive after booting from 2302 recovery CD. Passed OK 20 mins. elapsed time.

    Recovery from USB HDD also booting from 2302 recovery CD. Passed OK but 55 Mins. elapsed time not acceptable.

    Recovery from USB drive booting from BartPE with Acronis plugin. Passed OK 17 mins. elapsed time.

    Plainly Acronis needs to address the slow recovery from USB drives using their recovery CDs.

    I also tried to recover safe zone images from the slave drive using the BartPE with plugin but this would not complete so. Failed.

    Hope this may be of some help.

    Xpilot.
     
  2. Xpilot

    Xpilot Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2005
    Posts:
    2,318
    Of course using Bart PE with plugin should have failed when attempting to recover safe zone images! This is because the safe zone is not accessable to Windows or the BartPE which is Windows based.
    So this test proved that the safe zone is fairly fireproof.

    Xpilot.
     
  3. plover

    plover Guest

    How much data were you backing up? Times are meaningless without this information.

    I also observed the same sort of thing with my USB drives. It is obvious to me that it's the Linux OS that's the cause of the troubles with the bootable CD.
     
  4. Xpilot

    Xpilot Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2005
    Posts:
    2,318
    I did not include data volumes because they also would be meaningless unless one took into account the computer's speed etc. What is relevant is the ratio of the times taken between the Linux drivers and the Windows drivers included on the BartPE CD.

    I believe that a factor of three in the difference in speeds should be enough to encourage Acronis to improve the drivers that they provide.

    Xpilot.
     
  5. mustang

    mustang Developer

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Posts:
    905
    Hello Xpilot,

    Your restore times make perfect sense to me. You have pointed out one of the great advantages of using the BartPE plugin for True Image.

    However, the following comment does not make any sense:

    I disagree. The Secure Zone is accessable to True Image running under Windows. Likewise, it is accessable to True Image running under the BartPE plugin. I have run a successful restore from BartPE using the situation that you described. I created a Secure Zone on the second hard drive on the system. I created a full disk backup of the C: drive to the Secure Zone running under Windows using True Image 9 build 2302. I booted my BartPE disk and restored that image from the Secure Zone with no problem. If your situation is different, please let me know and I will test it.

    Please post more details about this failure. How far did you get and what error messages did you see? I will be glad to help you resolve the problem.

    mustang
     
  6. Xpilot

    Xpilot Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2005
    Posts:
    2,318
    Hi Mustang,

    In my book it is not really a problem that I could not get a restore from the secure zone on a slave drive to work using the BartPE CD. I found that such restores worked well enough using the Acronis recovery CD.

    I only tried the Bart CD as I was in testing mode with a spare main drive in place. When the next build of TI 9 is issued I will get my screwdriver out again a for a second batch of tests.

    Your results, using very much the same as my set up, are interesting and my assumption that that the BartPE CD could not access the secure zone is therefore probably wrong. I did not unfortunately keep a note of any fail messages or where the stoppage actually occured.

    The main point,.which I hope Acronis take up and solve,is the slowness of restores from USB2 HDDs. These, in my case took three times longer than when using the BartPE CD.

    Xpilot.
     
  7. Anon2

    Anon2 Guest

    I recently restored using the recovery CD and TI9 v.289 and an external Seagate 7200.9 (in a Nexstar3 casing). The image made under default compression was 5Gb.

    The complete verification and restore process took almost an hour! But worked.

    Recovery of the system to "factory default status" using the Toshiba Recovery DVD which uses Ghost took 15 minutes.

    Hmph!
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.