TI under the guillotine

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Thalassos, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thalassos

Thalassos Registered Member

It has happened: the worst. Just by executing the image backup of my precious Vista system and data files, I am at the end completely destroyed by the advise to execute the Master Boot Record repair with a floppy. I had a dual boot of XP and Vista, arranged through the years with some help of miniscule ideas I picked up from the net.

A repair of Vista would not work: after the GUI of TI startup, it hangs on the black screen. In the mean time, I had a backup-image of my precious data on a individual disk, only worthful by the interpretation of TI itself. If True Image fails all is lost, even when there is a multigigabyte-copy of my PC-setup. Unreadable by windows itself.

And yes, the nightmare has happened. By executing a minor help, MBR repair, I cannot boot my windows setups at any way. At the moment, I feel like a master thief who is contemplating how to break in his own digital home, full of his paid-for applications and serials and activations and warnings.

So, by trusting the help of securing Acronis, I in the end lost my peace of mind. And now I will have to spend many, many hours to free myself of hindrances that forbid me to gain access to my digital domain.

What I will learn in doing so, will be worth a lot of time, and thus money.
    But who will pay me?

A TI customer diving into the deep,
    Thalassos,

wish me luck...

2. Thalassos

Thalassos Registered Member

b) If your computer boots into graphical interface.

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands (for versions prior to Acronis True Image 11.0 Home):

When I get the prompt, displaying the word "quiet", pc freezes while demonstrating a staccato bleep to emphasize the failure to get something done. No way to delete the word, just a nasty bleeping message meaning override shutdown now!

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Whatever you do, don't reformat your hard drive.

If the MBR is damaged, it's not going to destroy your system partitions. Your system partitions are safe. More than likely you have some sort of BCD/boot.ini file problem cause by the dual boot. These are complicated to repair, but can be fixed.

You mentioned that you used a floppy to try and repair "vista", have you tried to run the repair from the "vista installation DVD" ? that's the media that provides the best results.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD

4. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

when you restore an image, you are asked if you want to restore another.

Select yes, it will take you to a screen to select either the image you are restoring or the MBR.

Select the image and continue, it will again ask if you want to restore another, again select yes, in the next screen select MBR

It will again ask if you want to restore another, select no and then continue.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Thalassos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

As I understand, Acronis Bootable Rescue Media fails to boot fast the selection screen on your computer. In this case, please submit a request for technical support with description of the problem and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.