TI Time take to Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Robyn, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I would appreciate a little advice. I was backing up my OS yesterday in prepartion for SP2 - I have two external HD's and use one of them for True Image and the other for Ghost. I find True Image a lot easier to use but as I already have Ghost I decided to use both.

Query? True Image of my OS = 20mins
    Ghost of my OS = 2Hrs o_O

I am grateful for the speed and ease of back up with TI but just wondered how this can been so quick when comparing it to Ghost o_O

Two other questions: I have a FAT32 boot sector on C and my OS NTFS on D if I make a boot disc will TI be able to cope with the fact my C boot files are FAT32? If I image C to my external drive will it keep it in the FAT format for me? Thanks (sorry didn't mean to ask so many things at once :oops:

2. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I am using TI8, build 768. I use minimal compression, and can image my C drive, to a second internal drive, in about 45 seconds. I only have just over 4 gig right now, but that is much faster than ghost could ever do..

Keizer

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I just wondered how it could work so fast compared to Ghost but would be very pleased to read that it was doing exactly the same job as I always verify etc when I use Acronis but after Ghost took so long I just left the verifcation.

I would not ant to ask Ghost to back up everything or I would not have my computer for about a week! I do hope Acronis is doing exactly the same as it certainly is a lot quicker.

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Ghost is DOS-based, meaning that the performance can be pretty poor (though not always the case. Especially with USB or Firewire devices.

ATI runs with the Windows drivers (or Linux if you're using the boot CD), so you should get the full performance of the device.

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for the info on this wdormann. I was Ghosting to my external USB 2 Hard drive and thought it would have been faster. Thankfully I now know that Acronis was still imaging the same information :rolleyes: but was making greater use of my actual processing power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.