TI Nightmares

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MichaS, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

Hi,

A few weeks ago I already posted here when a virus damaged by harddisk and I had to reinstall but neither TI 8 / 9 accepted the backup image (as it was not the last one in the volume). I had to give up and install my PC from scratch. After installing my PC which took me two days I used TI 10 Home to backup my SATA-harddisk on an external USB2-drive. I chose the option to backup all partitions in an image.
    Yesterday, I had to restore the partition because a setup-routine caused problems. I started the TI 10 Home boot disk and selected to restore the partitions. It deleted the old partitions, started to scan the uSB drive for minutes and then popped up a message box that the image was corrupt. However, TI 10 had already killed the partitions. Now, my harddisk incl. contents is erased and the image does not work either which is definitely the worst case :mad:
    I booted from the boot disk again and tried to restor some individual files from the "corrupt" image which worked o_O
    Now, I am puzzled how to resolve the problem. Is it caused by the USB drive? Is the image really defect? Is it the SATA drive (on my dell 8400 I got a 380 GB drive. depending which SATA option I use booting XP or Acronis may not work).
    How can I get rid of these problems?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

With the boot CD have you tried using it in safe mode?

If with that option you can't see your external drive, have you tried the noapic command?

If you can mount your image and see the files in there, then of course your image is almost cetainly safe.

When you say the image does not work, what error message do you get?

Colin

3. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

Thanks for your answer.

I don't understand how a CD-ROM can be booted in safe mode. I changed the DELL Bios to different options RAID/AHCI, RAID/ATA, COMBINED. The last one does work. In the other ones, I get errors (such as lost interrupts from hda, ...). TO also operates slowly. After asking for recovery and specifying the .tib file it takes several minutes until the next dialog appears where I can select the restore target. Then it accesses the USB drive for almost 10 minutes constantly increasing the display how many time this operation will require. Then the message box appears with the "corrupt image" message.
    Then I trid to restore individual images where I used the USB file with the .tib-file as the target. I can see the files in the image. I also tried to recover a file which did work.
    I can't remember the error number that TI reported (I am now trying a partition recovery utility and can't access the PC), but will report later what I received.

-- Michael

4. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

I just read your answer again. I have no problems that TI can't find my external USB HD or internal SATA HD. It complains about not finding the internal SATA-HD if I use the wrong RAID-boot option on my Dell. It also complains about USB problems but it finally loads and shows me both the internal as well as the external drive. The problem is that it reports the tib-file is corrupt during restore. Basically, the bootable CD version asks me to specify the .tib file which is on the external USB. Then it asks me for the target drive. I am then specifying the internal SATA drive. It then starts to access the tib-image and after 10-20 minutes its pops up a message box with an error message saying the image is corrupt. As mentioned, I can load the image in Acronis, browse through the folders and files, and could even restore some individual files which I tried to make sure that I might be able to at least restore something. Hope, you are right and I can even restore most parts of the image. But is there any way to restore the image successfully? Or is it possible to restore the partitions TI has deleted in preparation for the restore procedure?

All help greatly appreciated

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MichaS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First, please note that in order to avoid such situations in the future we recommend that you validate the image archive before the restoration. It can be done either manually via Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Archive) of Acronis True Image (Chapter 11.1 "Validating backup archives" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide) or set restoration settings to "Validate backup archive before restoration" (Chapter 6.4.5 "Additional settings").

I am afraid but it is impossible to restore the image if it is corrupted. It might be possible to restore some files/folders.

Could you please clarify if you used Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows to create the image archive?

I would also recommend that you copy the image archive that reports as corrupted to another drive and try to validate the image archive using Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Archive) of Acronis True Image and let us know the exact check-out result.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.