TI Image Echo server Windows - Image restoration is too slow.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by viciouz88, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viciouz88

viciouz88 Registered Member

Hi,

Can someone please help,

I'm restoring a 11.5GB image from a shared folder on the network, to IBM x345, RAID 5 partition, how come its very slow? its showing theres still 5 hours to go, this is the second time i've done this and the speed is the same.

Spec of the server im restoring the image to, 2 x 2Ghz Xeon, 4096MB RAM, and 3 x 36.4GB SCSI disk,

Is this normal on SCSI disk? Im worried if i need to restore something really fast, 5 hours is way too much time to restore something.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Nico

2. viciouz88

anyone....?:rolleyes:

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

How about some more details of what you are doing.

Are you restoring a boot partition and therefore running in the Linux environment?

You can also boot from the Rescue CD to get into the Linux recovery environment directly. Have you tried the Rescue CD?

What version/build of TI are you using? Is it the latest build?

How long did it take to create the image? Did you do this under Windows?

Slow operations in the Linux environment usually are assosciated with bad Linux drivers. There's no way to add drivers to the Rescue CD/Linux environment. In cases where this is critical, a BartPE or VistaPE boot disk with Windows drivers and the TI plug-in usually provides much faster performance.

Sometimes Acronis Tech Support can provide an ISO image of a Rescue CD with better drivers. That may be worth a try.

4. viciouz88

I'm trying to restore a Logical partition (NTFS) to a Windows 2003 R2 server.
    I'm restoring the image using the boot disk media created in Windows.

No

You can also boot from the Rescue CD to get into the Linux recovery environment directly. Have you tried the Rescue CD?

Yes, they're the latest build from Acronis website.

Around 30 minutes, and I did it under Windows, would this make a difference?

--
    I am not in a Linux environment,

Many Thanks,
    Nico

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As I said, when you boot from the Rescue CD that you made under Windows, it boots to a Linux environment. TI looks a lot like the Windows version, but it is really running under Linux.

Unfortunately, the Linux drivers often are not as good as the Windows drivers. At worst, they won't work at all. At best they are just as fast as Windows, but often they are considerably slower. I think that's your situation. It may be running the network card at 10 Mbps instead of 100 Mbps. That would account for a much slower restore. (Five hours is 300 minutes about 10 times as long as the image creation in Windows.)

Since this is a data partition and not the boot partition, you should be able to restore it while in Windows. That would use the Windows drivers and probably take less than one hour. However, this only works for a non-boot partition.

In cases like yours where speed is critical, a BartPE or VistaPE boot disk with Windows drivers and the TI plug-in usually provides much faster performance.

Another idea would be to change the network card to one that is supported by the Rescue CD properly. Unfortunately, this might be a trial and error task since there isn't a list of well supported NICs that I am aware of.

6. viciouz88

John,

Many Thanks for the info provided, i've got no idea the rescue CD runs in linux environment, as im a first time TrueImage user, that makes sense, i will research BartPE and VistaPE with TI plugin.

I should have known better regarding restoring data partition , ofcourse i can do this in Windows.

I'm wondering if Acronis release official TI plugin for BartPE though, might need to research that.

Cheers,
    Nico

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello viciouz88,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that a new build (8115) of Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows was recently released. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Boot the computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, remove the "quiet" parameter and wait for # prompt to appear;
    - Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    asamba dhcp -n > asa_dhcp.txt
    asamba masters > asa_mast.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt, asa_dhcp.txt, asa_mast.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the network card you use.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Please notice that a Bart PE plug-in is included into the installation of Acronis True Image Echo Server for Windows. If it's not installed, run Acronis True Image Echo Server setup file, choose Modify and install the Acronis Bart PE plug-in.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.