TI Home 10: Memory key boot issues

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Marc_G, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

OK, here's what I did since my last post.

I went in with PTEDIT and looked to see which partition was active. As expected, it was the first one. All other partitions showed empty.

The partition was listed as a FAT16X partition. Interesting. I expected it to be a FAT16B partition.

I went in with Partition Magic, removed the partition, and recreated a new one as "FAT" which when I went back in with PTEDIT, showed FAT16B as the type. I set the boot byte to 80 to make it active.

Went back to Windows, and used the Media builder to put the files on the key.

Rebooted with the key, and drat, got the same Acronis Loader Fatal Error message.

Now what? What's next?

Marc

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Marc:

Drat.

My drive shows Type 06 (FAT16B) for a 256 MB memory key. The very large memory keys show Type 0E (FAT16X).

It really sounds to me like you're doing this correctly and it should work. At this point I would suspect a problem with Bootable Media Builder itself. Did you try creating a bootable CD? Does it work? If there's a problem with Bootable Media Builder perhaps a reinstall of TI would fix it.

Another difference between our setups is that I'm using TI Home version 9, build 3854. I think you're using TI Home v10. Anyone else successful in making a bootable USB key using TI10 Bootable Media Builder?

3. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Bootable CDs work fine. I just prefer to have USB keys rather than carying around disks...

4. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

This is frustrating enough that I'm now investigating using a BartPE USB key with the Acronis plugin rather than the stand-alone media...

5. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

For what it's worth, I've got a BART PE system working on a USB key, and will test it out on my next backup, but gosh it's slow to boot. I still wish I could get Acronis to make a native bootable key that would work on its own. Sigh...

Marc

6. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

1. If you're having speed issues in backing up or recovering using the TI CD, then the BartPE may still be the way to go.

2.If you get a chance, could you detail the procedure to make the BartPE USB key? I wouldn't mind trying it and comparing the bootup speeds on my Dell 8300.

Thanks,
    Harvey

7. Topsy

Topsy Registered Member

I use a program called "Flashboot" to make my USB memory sticks bootable.
    It seems to work every time.

8. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marc_G,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download and install the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please format the flash card using Windows system utilities (so it is recognized as a removable media);
    Run Acronis True Image 10.0 Home;
    Choose Tools -> Create Bootable Rescue Media;
    Follow all steps of the wizard and select your USB flash card as media.

Please also try updating your computer's BIOS.

If the issue persists, please submit a request for technical support. Attach all information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.