TI Enterprise Server and External DAS - SATA drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ioleske, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ioleske

ioleske Registered Member

I have a Dell PE 1800, running Windows 2003 R2 SP1. (updated BIOS and patched to current for SP1) I am running True Image Enterprise Server 9.1, build 3854, which according to Acronis is the newest version of the software.

I have an Aberdeen XDAS 501, SATA to SCSI (U320), 2.7TB useable, external array. It is setup as a GPT drive as it is bigger than 2TB. Windows can see it just fine and I can create, delete, and move data no problem in Windows.

My problem is that reading the Forums, Acronis claims that TI will work with any hardware that Windows will "see". If I try to use the ext drive as the location for a backup, the program freezes and the memory usage goes throught the roof and doesn't stop. At the same time dumprep.exe starts cranking up, which I would think means the program has encountered a fatal failure. If I kill TI, dumprep goes away. I don't get any error messages other than the usual "not responding", just a freeze up.

I've tried editing the existing task, and I've tried creating a new one. Same result once I point to the ext drive. I even copied an existing full backup archive over and it makes no difference. It won't use that drive. If I can't get this to work, this software is of no real use to me. In testing months ago, I could save partition images to another server I have with an external array attached (only 1TB size though). I was hoping to use TI for the disaster recovery end of things and also file backup. It is really starting to look like it is not reliable enough for either. :(

If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ioleske,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  3. ioleske

ioleske Registered Member

Marat - There was a post last night from one of your team that Acronis software doesn't support volumes larger than 2TB. Your post replaced his today. I'm wondering if the post last night was true or not. Can Acronis TI Enterprise 9.1 be pointed to attached volumes larger than 2TB as a archive destination?

I'd be happy to test if you can provide me with an answer whether there is a 2TB size limit or not. Thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Hello ioleske,

I'm sorry for misleading you.

In the current version of Acronis products there is no support implemented for volumes which exceed 2TB limit. Current versions of Acronis True Image can only backup to storages that large if they are connected not locally (for example, via network). Large volumes support of will be implemented in 9.5 version of Acronis True Image corporate editions and later versions. I'm sorry, but the exact time-frame isn't decided yet.

As a workaround I may suggest you to spit the storage into two (or more) smaller than 2TB partitions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Acronis Support

Hello ioleske,

Please note that I have consulted with our Development Team about this question and would like to correct Marat's last reply a bit.

In the current versions of Acronis True Image there is no support implemented for backup of volumes which exceed 2TB limit. You should be able to use large volumes as archive location. Thus, I would recommend that you create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

As Marat mentioned support of large volumes backup will be implemented in the future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.