TI Echo ES w Universal Restore Eval Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DaMac, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaMac

DaMac Registered Member

Dear Support,

I began evaluating Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server with Universal Restore option on Saturday with 3 test machines. Source machine which the backup is being derived from is a P4 2.2Ghz IDE Raid Mirror Array with disk size totaling 80gb. Initially, I performed the backup enabling VSS support as this machine is a DC and has Exchange installed, checking the drive option which copied the main partition as well as the MBR(which I have since read is a no-no). OS/Versions are: Win2k3 Std SP2 with all current fixes as of Saturday, Exchange 2003 SP2, Active Directory. I also created a Bootable Rescue Media indicating only Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server with Acronis Universal Restore.

Once the backup was finished, I went to restore on one of my test target machines. The specs on this machine are: P4 2.8C HT non-raid IDE.
    I booted with the recue media, attached the USB device which contained my backup media and went to town. Loaded TI Echo ES and found the backup, indicated to use Universal Restore. No additional drivers should be needed as no SCSI/RAID exists in this machine. Restored successfully, but upon reboot I get a rolling restart at the spash screen on normal boot and when safe mode is attempted it loads up to acpitabl.dat and then reboots.

I have been trying to self-troubleshoot my problem with not much luck thus far, I did read that I need to do individual partitions so I did that(re-backed up selecting only my Primary and Active partition, leaving the 33MBish sized MBR partition unchecked). Same issue, and I have tried various troubleshooting methods such as replacing update.sys in the sysroot/system32/dllcache and sysroot/system32/drivers. Same error.

I must say this is a head scratcher for me, as I am finding very limited support for Universal Restore. I understand that support is probably limited as I am evaluating the product, but I would like to know that in a disaster scenario I can recover with minimal issues. Thanks in advance for any assistance you folks or any of the forum members might be able to offer me.

If I have left anything pertinent out I appologize in advance also.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

With NT based OS (windows xp/server2003/win2k) , one problem that I have encountered when trying to restore the system partition is drive letter changes.

When you mention the restored computer rebooting at the splash screen, that is one of the symptoms that the drive letters might have changed. This problem can only be fixed by going into the registry of the non-booting hard drive and changing the drive letter back to it's original configuration. FixMBR/Fixboot/repair installations won't fix this problem.

The demo of "paragon justboot corrector" can be used to verify if your restored hard drive has wrong drive letters. It's a bootcd that will bootup the computer and read the registry. Note this demo/full (build 050609) is 3 years old and only works on IDE drives. The latest version of the boot corrector (build 080121) is built into "paragon partition manager 9.0" .

My advice is to verify if you have a drive letter problem, then see if you can find a way to change the drive letters manually. Theres only one thing I'm sure of, if you encountered this problem once you will probably see it again.

I always use a boot corrector to fix these problems, only because it saves me time. Drive letter problems can be fix in 5 minutes if you have the right utility.

3. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

I know Universal Restore doesn't have an evaluation download. Where did you get your evaluation copy from? o_O

4. DaMac

DaMac Registered Member

The drive letter stayed the same (C:\). I also checked boot.ini to make sure the location was correct and it was(the source machine is partition2, but apparently it automatically adjusted the target copy as it reflects partition1 which is correct).

5. DaMac

DaMac Registered Member

I'm not using trial versions of this software, I am utilizing licensed software inside a test bed to decide if I want to utilize it for my corporate network. A close friend of mine uses it, swears by it so I took him up on his offer to test it with one of my spare test servers. I am also looking into options such as Symantec Backup Exec and the like, but I'd like to get this working if its possible. I hope this satisfies you, if you have any possible solutions now I'd be glad to hear them.

Patrick

6. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

What I know is that you don't have to restore per partition when using UR, you can restore as a whole or the partition that contains the operating system for the UR to be provoked. Plus, your restoring to an IDE machine which doesn't require any drivers to be inserted at all, I never encountered errors like this with IDE destinations.

You can try to ask your friend to download the latest build of ECHO ES and UR; build 8072 (released just today) and redo the boot CD and backup.

List of changes:
    • Integration with Acronis Recovery for MSSQL Server. You can place backups from Acronis Recovery MSSQL Server to Acronis True Image Echo Backup Server.
    • Ability to change the SID when restoring an image.
    • Support of Windows 2008 Server and Vista SP1.
    • XenSource virtual machine support and ability to convert tib files to XenSource Virtual machines.
    Several bugs have also been fixed in this update:
    • Fixed restore of full path of a file backup.
    • Fixed low performance of Acronis Backup Server during enumerating computers profiles.
    • Fixed work of Acronis Group Server in bad networks.
    • Added password protection form if scheduling incremental and differential backup.
    • Added auto-retry option for restore.
    • Fixed adding users from domain for huge domains.
    • Fixed remote installation in Domain environment.
    • Fixed incremental image restore from a tape.
    • Fixed too many log messages in Acronis Group Server.
    • Fixed restore from multiple CD/DVD discs.
    He can get it in the my account at acronis.com

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DaMac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We recommend you to try using the build 8072 of both Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server and Acronis Universal Restore, as suggested by NumLock.

You can download the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise here.

Please also be aware that the while trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site, you can obtain it by contacting Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post the description on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.