TI and Exchange/SQL logs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Crass, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crass

Crass Guest

Exchange log build up

When using ATI 8 Ent. Server to backup an Exchange server, what solutions are people using to manage Exchange transaction log build up, since no system is intigrated into ATI?

2. crass

crass Guest

Re: Exchange log build up

Come on folks... you can't just be enabling circular logging? Any suggestions ...thoughts.... ideas?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. crass

crass Guest

I understand that TI 8 Enterprise can backup Exchange and SQL servers by use of its database suport option, or even just running batch files via scheduled tasks at the appropriate time.

But in the case of using Acronis to make Exchange/SQL backups, how does Acronis expect us to manage our Exchange/SQL Transaction logs? Database support only allows for in program running of batch files, it does not provide for a way to prune transaction logs such as other (i.e. Veritas) backup systems provide.

Is there a solution for this out thereo_O Enabling circular logging is not a reasonable solution.

Will TI 9 Ent Server Edition support log pruning?

5. crass

crass Guest

Alexey,

The FAQ article & section 5.11 of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide do not address this issue. They only address the issue of how to make a backup of SQL/Exchange servers, and that functions well. The problem is Transaction logs will continue to accumulate indefinatly because TI does not provide a way to prune the logs upon successful backup like other Applications do.

Has Acronis come up with solution for this issue, or even recommend a Third party App for management of this?

Thanks

6. rmcompsol

rmcompsol Registered Member

Crass,

I doubt Acronis is going to be able to answer this question for you since their product is not a file-level backup solution.

What I do for my clients is use Windows 2000/2003 built-in Backup software to perform an Exchange backup to take care of this situation. Just perform a "backup to file" and schedule it for once-a-week. Configure the software to overwrite the same file each week so you won't have additional maintenance.

You must backup the entire Information Store (not the individual mailbox selection) in order for transaction logs to be removed.

Now, perform your TIS backup whenever you want!

7. broncos88

broncos88 Registered Member

Hi rmcompsol,

It sounds like you use TIS to backup Exchange. can i have you opinions on TIS compared to other backup softwar outthere such as Veritas BackupExec? I need to backup my Exchange and SQL and i don't seem to find the right answer from Acronis.

Is TIS only good for restoring crashed server or is TIS a good choice to backup Exchange?

8. rmcompsol

rmcompsol Registered Member

I actually use both products (TIS & Backup Exec) - they each have different, but potentially crucial disaster recovery features. For example:

Scenario #1
    Say you have a Windows SBS server functioning as a File, Print, Exchange & possibly SQL server. What would happen if you lost a hard drive overnight (assuming no RAID)?

With Backup Exec: You would have to reload the operating system, then restore from tape. This would potentially take hours. If you used Backup Exec's Disaster Recovery feature, it would take less time, but only if you had an updated Disaster Recovery disk.

With Acronis TIS: You would fire up your boot cd and reload your server from an image file. Your down time would most likely be minimal.

ADVANTAGE TIS

Scenario #2

This time, your SBS server is running fine, but a user accidentally deleted their entire Exchange mailbox. How do you restore it?

With Backup Exec: Since you can backup individual mailboxes, you can also restore individual mailboxes. It should take no more than 15 minutes.

With Acronis TIS: There is NO individual mailbox backup. Your only option would be to reload your server from an image file - obviously NOT a good solution. You would end up affecting every users Exchange mailbox just to try and restore one users mailbox.

ADVANTAGE Backup Exec

Scenario #3
    Your SBS server has a RAID controller performing RAID1 using two 40GB hard drives. You are running out of space and would like to upgrade to 160GB hard drives. You want minimal downtime - you just want to take the 40GB "image" and move it to 160GB hard drives.

Obviously ADVANTAGE Acronis TIS.

Hopefully this sheds a little light on the subject. The fact that Acronis TIS makes an EXACT image of the hard drive makes disaster recovery much easier. However it's not for every situation.

9. broncos88

broncos88 Registered Member

you absolutely did shed more than lights. these are questions that i have wondered. i am going to use combination of acronis for sure and any other backup software. acronis seems to be the best to restore a crashed server given you have the right backup and such. downtime is the most important. couple more questions if you don't mind.

do you have a batch to stop and start Exchange when you use TIS to backup or you just backup your Exchange without stopping it or Acronis puts it "Real-time backup server".

do you know anything about Sonasoft software? They claim to the combination of both Acronis and BackupExec.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Crass,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

I'm afraid that Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows does not truncate transaction logs after the backup process has been finished. This feature will most likely be added to the future versions of a particular product, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. crass

crass Guest

Thanks RMCOPSOL,

Yeah I have thought of doing what you suggested, using the built in 2000/2003 backup to get rid of the logs, but that still leaves a huge backup file which takes a chunk of time to create and then gets incorporated into the Acronis snapshot, not very effecient. But it may be the only alternative... bah...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.