TI 8 (826) cannot image to LAN share (XP SP2)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mark7, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneklakes

oneklakes Registered Member

Hi mark7:

Just to let you know I've been working with Ilya also for about a month to try to solve this problem. I've tried Builds 826, 859, 889 & 903 and it’s still not working. Like you, the last build that I recall it working on was 796.

Acronis seems to be focusing why the file is corrupting when it is written over the network v. local. I think this is missing the point. There have been one or two occasions where I have been able to create a good image file over the network but the remote computer always hangs after that.

I believe the real issue has to do with the way TI accesses the remote computer when it tries to create the image file. All of the Windows systems and application error messages I've seen point in this direction. It's definitely not a "user rights" issue since, as we've both learned, we can move files back forth between the local and remote machines with no problems.

I gotta say I'm getting pretty tired of having to create the image locally and then manually move it to the network folder. I hope they can figure this out soon.

oneklakes

2. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

NOTE: I just tried TI 8 build 903. Have same problem with 903 that is documented in this thread.. Image appears to be sucessfully created on LAN share, but target computer is locked with "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" error. Even trying to shutdown the target computer takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r and I've never waited more than a few minutes before doing a hard shutdown with the power switch.

---

I am still using the special build support linked me to (File name is TrueImage8.0_spec_s_e.exe, file properties says it is product version/file version 8.0.0.796). From what oneklakes says about regular build 796 working, I wonder just how "special" is this build that support linked me to, or is it just plain vanilla build 796?

I've tested the latest builds, but none of them work over my network. Like you, the latest build sometimes succeeds in creating the image over the network, but always results in the target computer locking up for any subsequent process with "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" error.

I would think the key is in Ilya's response that the "Special build of Acronis True Image stores the image on the network share using Windows. That is why it can override some network errors (for example, perform retry in case of connection loss)".

Whatever the regular builds are using now to store the image on the network share (not Windows??) probably need to be more cognizant of the network. I would think there is a clue in there somewhere..

Anyway, glad that Acronis is working with you on this issue. I have had no response or communication from them at all since 15 June (a month ago)!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  3. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

TI 8 Builds 826 through 937: Image over LAN FAILS

Build 937: problem still there (and WORSE). Image appears to be successfully created on LAN share, but target computer is locked with "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" error for any subsequent operation (opening Windows Explorer, IE, etc..) after image process is complete.

EDIT for Correction - Image is NOT successfully created on LAN - Verify FAILED with image is corrupted message. Previously target computer locked up at end of image creation process, but image verified OK, now target locks up and image verify FAILS.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: TI 8 Builds 826 through 937: Image over LAN FAILS

Hello mark7,

Could you please clarify the reason why are you dissatisfied with the work of the special version of Acronis True Image 8.0?

Please send your answer to support@acronis.com as a reply to the latest letter from Acronis Support Team, since it will be the most effective way to proceed with the investigation of the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

I believe I have already stated this in this thread. (From my previous post of June 14th, 2005) "Special build" 796 does take a very long time to boot (about a minute or so), either from the CD or from windows reboot to the interface when the system partition is selected for restore (remember this boot delay issue with regular builds a few versions back?). Could this be investigated and resolved for the next release of the "special build"?

- - - -

Regarding public Builds 826 through 937, I had been under the impression that Ilya would be working with myself and oneklakes to see that the network issue would be addressed and incorporated into public builds, rather than to continue to rely on "special build 796" (which seems to just be public build 796, the last public build that worked to create an image over my network).

I have had no further communication from Acronis in this regard as of my post of 15 June (over 2 months ago).

Yes, after over 2 months of Acronis "silence" in this regard, I am "slightly dissatisfied".

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mark,

I have contacted our Development Team and the problem seems to be in the network rather than in the software. That is why we had to give you the special version with different algorythm of operating with the network.

As for the new build of special version, I will send you a link to it via e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Hello Ilya,

Thank you for the link to the new build of the special version of TI 8. The rescue boot CD for the new build of the special version has much better perfomance in 2 areas:

1. Boots much faster than before.
    2. I am now able to see my network shares in the create image wizard without having to first type in \\computer_name\shared_folder_name\ into the file name box!

Two big plusses for this new build of the special version!! I have performed extensive testing today with this new build of the special version and have not encountered any problem with image creation, verification, exploring, or restoring either with the Windows GUI or with the rescue CD.

One VERY minor issue, which I think the public build has also. When in the create image "wizard", there is an "X" to delete current image files as one browses to the desired image location and is prompted for an image file name. I tried this from the boot CD and my system only rebooted without deleting anything. Really not a problem for me, as I prefer to delete image files in Windows Explorer, and if selecting the same file name TI would overwrite without a problem. Thought I would check this in the new special build as it has been reported in the public builds before... (see EDIT below)

Again, many thanks for your support in this regard (and on a Sunday, too!). :cool:

- - - -

EDIT REFERENCE: I had to go back about a month, but I finally found the thread entitled Deleting old images within TI 8 https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=89804

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.