TI 2009 Incremential Consolidation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ToyMaker, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToyMaker

ToyMaker Registered Member

Let me make sure I understand consolidation, help me out here.

1 full backup (30 gigs) and 7 incrementials (1 gig) with a limit of 8 backups.

Every night after it makes the backup it will look and see if the limit is broken. If it is, it will consolidate the full backup and the oldest incremential into one file. So now instead of 1 full and 8 incrementials I will be back where I started with 1full and 7 inc's.

So after the limit is broken every night from then on it will run consolidation unless I delete or move the backup.?

Consolidation takes a long, long time. It was so much easier when the secure zone took care of everything.

2. Scootel2

Scootel2 Registered Member

This is the very thing I have been complaining about. Unless you manually delete the incrementials it will now consolidate every night. In my opinion it should delete the incremental files after consolidating.

3. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

I cannot better describe it.
    I fully agree. Like ToyMaker mentioned, Ti2009 makes only 'consolidates' after reaching the max count of incrementals.

The sense of the task will be useless.
    And: Every 'consolidation' waste more time as a new fullbackup. Merrily :D

No, Acronis. That's a development passing the users :(

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The 'rules' on how consolidation works seem to change depending on the type chosen.

As an example I have the rule to consolidate to kick in once the images have got to a certain size. TI 2009 performs this by once the size limit is reached, it consolidates all the incrementals into the original full, and then overwrites the incrementals until the size quota becomes valid again.

So it appears using size as the marker, it only consolidates when the quota is reached, but for your parameters of number of files it consolidates every time once the first quota is reached. Is this by design, or an oopsy in the programming process, I know not :)

Colin

5. ToyMaker

ToyMaker Registered Member

Bodgy can you give me an example of what your talking about using numbers and sizes to make sure I follow you?

My setup is a 30gb full backup and a 110gb hard drive for backups.

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have a daily backup weekdays only - M -> F the task is set to consolidate once the backup folder has reached 23GB in size.

This is a test set up on my laptop. The task works as follows.

First Week.

Monday: Full (about 15GB)
    Tues: Inc
    Wed: Inc
    Thur: Inc
    Fri: consolidate as inc file size would have taken archive to over 23GB.

Result = New Full plus all the incrementals Tues - Fri - not it did make an incremental decide the resulting archive was too large and consolidated.

Week 2

Mon - Inc
    Tues- Inc
    Wed - Inc
    Thu - Inc
    Fri -Inc

week 3

Monday - inc plus consolidate

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.