TI 11 deletes the partition after restoring an image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Robin A., Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Using TI 11 from a VistaPE boot disk, I restored a partition image saved in a 30 GB BACKUP partition of an external USB disk, to another partition in the same disk. The process finished normally, without any problems.
    But then I found that the BACKUP partition that contained the image had been deleted (by TI, of course).
    I had to "undelete" it using DiskDirector 10.
    Any idea why this may happen?

2. Robin A.

I repeated the process, and I think I know what happened.

The first time, after the restore finished and the message "The operation was successfully completed" appeared, I clicked on "OK" and immediately closed TI.

But the second time, I waited and noticed that after the OK is clicked, a sandglass icon appears, that lasts for several seconds. I waited for it to disappear, and then closed TI. I checked the source partition and it was OK.

So, apparently it is necessary to wait for the sandglass icon to disappear before closing TI. Otherwise the source partition gets deleted.

It is a TI bug: when the message appears, the operation is not really completed.

3. alan_b

alan_b Registered Member

Linux and Windows have different conventions for Drive Letters.

Could you have been deceived into restoring the image to the partition that held the images ?

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

What do you think what happens when Ti don't delete the other partition on the same disk?

The you have two identical partitions on one physical disk.
    What partition should to be boot?
    The first? The second?

It makes no sense to restore a partition backup to annother partition of the same disk, right?

Except you want to substitute an old disk with a new one.
    But then you restore to annother physical disk.
    And then you have to unplug the old disk or delete the 'cloned' partition on it.

Question:
    Is it an 'Active' partition you want to restore? Or is it a simple partition only with data?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robin A,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Acronis true Image programs can’t delete partitions where backup resides after restore then to another partitions. Can you please provide us step-by-step actions you perform to restore the image also it will be useful to look through Acronis Report with external drive attached.

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

6. Robin A.

What I did:

1. I created an image of the system partition C: using TI 11 from a VistaPE boot disk. This boot disk was created several months ago according to Mustang´s instructions, and I have used it several times without any problem. It contains TI 11 and also DiskDirector 10.

2. The image was saved to the BACKUP_R partition, which is in an external USB disk (Western Digital SATA disk on a Vantec enclosure). The process finished successfully. The image validated OK.

3. The next day, also operating from the VistaPE boot disk, I restored the image to a partition located in the same USB external disk. I did this to check if the image could be restored. This partition was originally created as a “clone” of the system partition C: The restore finished successfully. The system rebooted normally to Windows XP.

4. Next I wanted to copy the image to a DVD. I looked for the BACKUP_R partition in the Windows Explorer, but it did not appear. I initially thought that the partition was hidden.

5. I rebooted to the VistaPE disk and opened DD. The space corresponding to the BACKUP_R partition appeared as “unallocated”. That is, the partition had been deleted. I suppose it was deleted by TI because I had not used any other program that could have done this.

6. I “undeleted” this partition using DD. The process was successful. I rebooted to Windows XP. The BACKUP_R partition appeared normally in the Windows Explorer, and I was able to copy the image to a DVD.

7. Several days later, I tried to replicate the problem. The restore finished successfully again. But I noticed that after the “finished successfully” message was closed, a sandglass appeared on the screen and lasted several seconds. I waited for it to disappear before closing TI, which I thing I did not in the first occasion. I checked the BACKUP_R partition, and it was OK.

8. I attribute the problem to the fact that in the first occasion I closed TI too soon, before the process was really finished (but after closing the “finished successfully” message). Of course, I may be wrong and there can be another explanation.

Attached Files:

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robin A.,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

As you pointed in step 3 you restored the image to the external drive itself, that is the source of the issue. Try to create separate partition on external drive and restore the image to this partition, it should solve the issue.

I suppose you created Acronis Report after second restore because I can see BACKUP_R partition on external drive.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.