TI 10 Recovery Disk on Dell 8300

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by madmike, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmike

madmike Registered Member

I upgraded from TI8 to TI10 and created a new recovery CD with the latest build of TI10. I created a backup of my C Drive under Windows and the archive verification under Windows checks out fine. However, when I boot the Recovery CD Full Version and try to verify the archive, the system hangs after a few minutes (six "progress" bars). It stops reading the hard drive and doesn't terminate the process if I try to "Cancel". The only way out is to pull the plug on the Dell.

It gets more interesting - I boot the same Recovery CD on another self-built (not a Dell) PC, run verification on a backup of the same C Drive I created from the Dell across my network to the local drive and it works fine. Both PCs have SATA drives. The only significant difference is that the Dell has 2.5GB of memory and the self-built PC has only 1GB. I ran Memtest86+ on the Dell and there were no errors. Could Linux on the Recovery CD have an issue with large memory size? Any insights would be welcome.

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I had a Dell 8300 and I use TI 8. It had 2GB RAM and I could not verify either. It hung like you describe. I only had TI for that computer for a short while as it was being replaced by Dell under warranty with an XPS 600. I had gotten TI so I could backup that drive before I returned the computer to Dell.

I still use TI8 with the XPS 600 that also has 2GB RAM. I have not tried to verify by using the CD. I don't even know where the CD is. I had no problems with copying all the files I wanted off the backup to the new computer and I've made a few backups on the new computer but have not needed to use them so I don't know if they would work. I know incremental backups do not work. They would show up off and on but usually would not show up at all when I would turn on the USB drive that has the TI images.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

:eek: :blink: Mele20, you're going to need that rescue CD if you ever want to carry out a bare metal restore i.e. your hard drive fails or Windows fails to boot. :cool:

Regards

4. madmike

madmike Registered Member

Update to my original post - After doing more testing, I found that the same symptoms trying to verify a backup occur using a TI 9 (last build) Recovery CD as occurs with the TI 10 CD, i.e. hangs after six progress bars, stops reading disk, and Cancel gives the confirm prompt but doesn't exit the process. The only recourse is to power cycle the 8300. The TI10 and TI9 work on other PCs, including a Dell 8200. The only Recovery CD that works on the Dell 8300 is the TI 8 version. Would appreciate any insight, esp. from Acronis Mods.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello madmike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating does not solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.