TI 10 Home Version with dynamic disks

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bornconfuzd, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Can anyone clarify for me, whether or not TI 10 is compatible with dynamic disks?

I have two internal disks. Of course c: for os etc, and D: which I use for backups with TI 10.

Am I understanding correctly that TI 10 will not work with dynamic disks?

How about these three scenarios?

1. Both disks are basic, TI 10 works normally.
    2. Both disks are dynamic, TI 10 does not work?
    3. C: is basic while D:, (where TI images are stored), is dynamic, TI 10 will
    or will not work?

As always, Thanks in advance! :D

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You are correct TI10 does not work with dynamic disks.

3. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Thanks for the reply Tom,

Is that inclusive of all three scenarios I was wondering about?

Larry

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

5. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Tom,

The link doesn't seem to work for me, but 'nuff said, I'll take your word for it!

Thanks again,

Larry

6. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

Tom,

I got the link to work finally, but found that it discusses the server version.

Darn, I thought if I posted a quick and dirty question I'd be able to get an easy response. But I think I shortchanged everyone.

A few weeks ago I partitioned my D: drive so that I'd have enough room to make a "backup place" with room for three images. That would allow me to set up a scheduled task for regular backups limited to three. I did not know about nor allow for the required, in my case, fourth backup, I had cut it too close and was running out of room for the fourth backup necessary before TI deletes the oldest of the first three.

I then went into "Disk Management" and shrunk D: by 5GB, but when I tried to expand my image storage volume, (backup place), which is J: by that same 5GB, Windows would not let me do it unless I converted that drive to a dynamic disk, which I did. TI has been making backups from C:, (still a basic disk), to J: just fine since then.

Today, while searching on this forum I came across a discussion about dynamic disks and TI, which led me to ask the first question above. I did NOT want to wait until I need one of those images to find out that they were unusable!

So, after Tom's responses I started to move the images from J: to an external drive and convert that volume back to basic. However, not looking forward to copying 100GB of images to an external disk and back, (a couple of hours at least), I decided to check those images.

First I tried mounting an image that was just created day before yesterday. TI mounted it without a problem! I was able to see photos, play music, just as I had when it was a basic disk. Then I ran a verify, and that came back successful without errors! See images below.

So now I'm really "confused"! Can someone offer any further clarification here?

I'd be really interested in knowing whether or not I'm courting disaster, or if something has changed.

Anyone have any further info?

Oh, some particulars might help.

Dell Dimension E510
    Pentium D 820
    Dual 250GB Seagate Sata Drives
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2007
  7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I think that you've demonstrated that TI, running from within Windows, will back up to a dynamic volume. That result is not surprising; I don't think TI cares where it is writing to as long as Windows is handling the disk I/O.

However, I would be willing to bet that you will not be able to restore a backup image from your dynamic volume when running TI in the recovery mode.

One quick test you could do is to boot your PC from the recovery CD and then see if you can see your .tib files on the dynamic volume. I'll bet that you won't see them.

8. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

AHA! Ok, I should have taken Tom's word for it after all! You were right K0lo, TI could NOT even see the J: drive!

Still, I'm grateful to find this out now, rather than later!

Thank you both for your help!

Larry

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bornconfuzd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that thomasjk and k0lo are correct. Acronis True Image 10.0 Home does not support backing up to/cloning to/restoring from dynamic disks both under Windows and using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. Support for dynamic disks will probably be implemented in later versions of Acronis True Image Home. I'm sorry, but the exact time-frame is not defined yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. bornconfuzd

bornconfuzd Guest

It would be a nice upgrade. Thanks for the post.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.