TI 10 home & TI 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by plantextract, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

Hello
    I am sorry if it was discussed before (i did search for it but I'm not good at it).
    Are images (full drive backups) created with TI home 9 compatible with TI 10 (restore/make incremental) and vice versa.

Thank you.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes. Although as a matter of principle I probably wouldn't make an incremental with TI10 based on a TI9 full - but that's just me and in fact, I don't even do incremental images.

TI9 can read TI10 backups as long as the version of TI9 is not too old. Part way through the TI9 builds they changed the TI engine which resulted in a tib file format change. The later builds can read the old files but the old builds can't understand the new file format.

3. plantextract

i have 9 build 3.677 on that machine (i think i'm behind on my updates...). will it work.
    also, can i install TI 10 over TI 9?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Build 3677 has the new engine so it should be fine. No idea about the success installing TI10 over 9 although I think some have reported it worked as it should. I'm still at 9.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If you're going to get ver 10 you might as well make a fresh set of Backups.

6. plantextract

but that would mean to make a new backup of a 10 month old image file with windows freshly installed and all programs that i need etc. That's not possible without restoring. :)

I'll try installing V10, thanks for your help.

7. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I meant that you should make a Backup with ver 10 of what is presently on your system.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi plantextract,
    1. Installation. Yes you can install v10 over v9. When you install v10 select "Custom" and then select the folder where you installed v9. v10 will install over v9 without any problems.
    2. Compatibility. v10 will restore v9 archives. (visa-versa is not applicable because v9 will have been overwritten).
    3. Backups. Technically there is no reason why you could not use v10 to create an Incremental on a v9 Full providing they both use the same .tib file structure. (file structure was changed mid-way through v9). However, now that you have upgraded to v10 it seems like it would be a good opportunity to create a new Full backup.
    T.

9. plantextract

thank you but about point 2 i was reffering to another pc that i have toexchange backup files with

10. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Item 2. Do you want to restore v10 .tib file with v9 ?

11. plantextract

yes, i need to do that on a pc, i can't install v 10 on it since it's not mine and it's a work pc (so it runs on the principle if it ain't broke don't fix it)

I still i have to exchange data (lots of data) between those 2 pcs and acronis is installed (for hdd images) so i can hit 2 birds with one stone.

12. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

In theory, because the file structures are the same, there should not be any reason why v9 will not restore a v10 archive.

Suggest that you first do a test run on a small selection of files (say about 5 folders and 50 files totalling about 50MB) using a standard Files & Folders backup (select My Data in v10) using v10 to create the archive and v9 to restore it.

Using the "Properties" tool in Windows check that the original and the restored files give you the same "Size" in bytes. (Size on disk may differ between systems).

13. plantextract

thanks, great idea.
    ~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello plantextract,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that all later versions of Acronis True Image can fully handle archives created by earlier versions. However, we do not guarantee that an earlier version will successfully handle an archive created by the later one.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.