thunderbird with enigmail and openpgp with tormail not good enough?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by happyyarou666, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

2. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

3. happyyarou666

thanks an honest opinion is what this thread needs most keep em coming , and after weighing out all the options i think its truecrypt where all the magic is happening afterall , despite that horrible article bout truecrypt getting cracked etc , thanks , any more feedback and expertise would be appreciated yall , wanna have this fully researched and pick the best option

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I run my own email server. STARTTLS only for IMAP only, and a non standard port, TLS only for a web interface. Receiving mail is no problem with a free No-IP Dynamic DNS host name, as they provide an MX record for free. Sending mail is a problem because without a domain (domain key or sender policy framework) spam lists will block you. So you have to use a 'Smart Host' (a recognized email provider) to send. I'm currently using my ISP, but am searching for a privacy oriented Smart Host. Getting a domain name registered for a small fee would probably be better as you should get a domain key or SPF record and can send right from your box. All of the above is free, although I did choose to purchase the email server software for features/ease of use (Ability Mail). Axigen is free and is very powerful, but set up will take some tinkering.

PD

5. happyyarou666

i see , tbh thou i think hiding in a crowd makes you way less suspicious aka using random free email providers like hotmail , gmx etc and for suspicious stuff just use pgp portable and encrypt your message , is a better option as ive been told by some people, and using your isp for anything more than internet access and perhaps your phone is not an great idea tbh , so a smart host per your isp dont sound too attractive tbh,

how bout a rating on wich is the best free email provider in your guys view from a privacy and storage and attachment size point of view, maybe even one that supports smtp and imap , so i have reason to use thunderbird with pgp and enigmail xD , tormail ill only use for truly anonymous stuff i guess , had a wrong picture of it in the beginning i guess xD

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. PaulyDefran

1. Having your email store running on a TC volume on your own box, is leaps and bounds better than almost anything else. The only thing better *might* be a solution like Countermail, but you are introducing a 3rd party. Nobody is going through it...they can't get to it. Stored Communication Act? Doesn't matter. Backed up 10 different ways from Sunday even though you deleted it off of BigProvider? Nope. MS rolls over and doesn't even charge LE to go through your stuff, Google charges a pittance. A warrant isn't required. The only way to get at it is to serve *you* with a warrant (USA).

2. If you have your 'core' group of correspondents create an account on your server, the mail never leaves the box. All connections are secure and the messages just go from one folder to another.

3. You have to be able to send though, so while not ideal, a Smart Host is needed. I'm not really worried about BigISP seeing what I choose to send unencrypted, like "How was dinner grandma?".

4. You can always encrypt.

RiseUp.net and COTSE are SMTP solutions I'm currently investigating....but I feel a whole lot better having all my email right *there* (points to server).

PD

7. happyyarou666

xD points to server , anyhow ill be checking out riseup the other one cost money xD yeah im a cheapskate xD

btw arent riseup servers in the us? isnt that a bad thing? hmmm..

and what abou smtp?

8. PaulyDefran

Yes, they are both in the US, but like I said, I personally don't care about my in the clear SMTP "here's your code for cats.net forums" :D But any little bit helps, so if I can get it off of the big targets (ISPs, Gmail, etc), I'll do it. If you find a free, Swedish, email provider that allows SMTP, let me know :)

Singapore, but $3 a month:

http://www.katzglobal.com/hosting/offshore_email.html

PD

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you rent a VPS somewhere, you can SSH remote forward your local mail server to it. In order for it to be accessible, you must enable GatewayPorts in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the VPS. You can route the SSH connection to the VPS through nested VPNs. You'll still need an SMTP server, of course. If you want to play, micro VPS instances on AWS are free for a year. You'll probably want to pay anonymously.

10. happyyarou666

yeah i too would like for one like riseup wich sounds like a great pick , but offshore servers instead ,damn hope somebody comes up with one -.-'

11. marktor

marktor Registered Member

I like Lavabit alot. They seem to have a pretty reasonable privacy policy as well. Grant it something like Countermail is better I suppose. But I am talking about a free offering here. Also tormail is a good choice I believe too as long as you do not send out personal information that you can be identified with.
    Other things to think about is using something like https://privnote.com/ to send disposable messages. Openpgp is decent but good luck getting the people you communicate with to use it. What you would do is use an online encryption site like one of these: http://techpp.com/2010/03/09/top-10-online-services-to-encrypt-email-text-messages
    And let them know what the encryption password is somehow then send them encrypted messages and then they can decrypt the messages you send online. You could even combined the 2. You could send the encrypted message through a Privnote link and then it would be deleted once it was read and person could paste it into an online decryptor. Or if you do not like the idea of using an online decrytor you could use a program like BCTextencoder: https://www.jetico.com/encryption-bctextencoder/ Of course the person you communicate with would have to download and install this as well. Just throwing out some ideas here. I know some of this may have holes. In fact I know it does. Bottom line the best choices are using TC and setting up your own mail server possibly if you can do that.

12. happyyarou666

sounds like some good stuff gona check it out asap , lavabit sounds most excellent please more like these , fyi theyre even doing a major upgrade atm ,nice, thanks , btw heard bout private notes sounds pretty slick as well , thanks , keep em comin , peace

p.s: yeah tormail is pretty ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ only for non private info stuff thou xD

update: lavabit isnt so excellent anymore after reading theyre privacy policy , thats even WORSE than an hotmail etc account (facepalm) , seriously they cooperate with the fbi etc , **** this ..no offense, next xD

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  13. happyyarou666

http://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/about.html

http://www.guerrillamail.com/?t=inbox > not sure bout guerillamail thou cant find no policy -.-'

so it does exist only thou for a limited time thou xD

hope someone could find a permanent likeminded solution and wed be in email security heaven FOR FREE , thou id asume such a service would be well hidden to find , nonetheless any findings , please dont hesitate to post em ,peace

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  14. happyyarou666

found this one sounds pretty boss https://help.riseup.net/en

only thing needed are offshore servers and we good , but this is pretty close and tons better than msn , gmail or gmx for private info relating to you

15. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

What information are you trying to hide? If it is just general conversations with your friends, then you could use encrypted e-mail, but is it really necessary? If you're going to use eBay & Paypal, then you'll probably end up giving away your real identity and location at some point.

If you are really serious about being undetectable by "the Government" (whichever one it is), then you're best bet would be to set up an email server of your own, encrypt it to the max and make sure all your email traffic is similarly secured. But make sure everything is encrypted - if the NSA (or whoever you are scared of) does start snooping around, they find those encrypted e-mails a lot more interesting than the random eBay purchases and then you find you actually are a target. If you monitor a flow of traffic and see 10% of it is encrypted e-mails, then you know where to focus your resources.

Oh, and if you do get busted then expect to do some time anyway - in many jurisdictions its an imprisonable offence not to hand over your encryption keys to a court.

The best (probably the only way) to nowadays stay clear of "the Government" (again, pick which one you like) is to go offline and stay that way, permanently.

One last thing - good luck. ;)

16. happyyarou666

lols , thanks you make some good points and i decided to do it as so , use msn for public regular forums , and riseup for paypal and ebay that has my private info , for anything "suspicious " i use tormail of course without any relating private info , and for the rest id simply use pgp to encrypt , so thats your best bet without getting busted by anyone without having to pay a cent

p.s: if anybody got something like riseup but with offshore servers please do tell

yeah sure just get rid of your pc thatl do it lols xD

for regular convos i dont want people to see i use otr and pidgin or msn plus and xchat plugin ,works ,and for anonymous chatter i use torchat, thanks and peace

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.