Thunderbird Stable Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WildByDesign, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Hi FanJ,

Thunderbird 60 system requirements say:
    "Please note that while the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows can be used to run Thunderbird, only 32-bit builds of Thunderbird are supported at this time."
    So, I assume 32-bit Thunderbird 52.9.1 will be updated to 32-bit Thunderbird 60.2.1.

However, I see some reports that the update is not yet available through Thunderbird's internal updater. I heard from a Dutch friend, and I read a report here (in Dutch). So I guess 60.2.1 is not yet offered to all users.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't understand why only 32 bit versions are supported...? 64 bit has been available since v60 and this is "release" not beta.

3. Stupendous Man

I found another report of someone not being offered 60.2.1 through Thunderbird's internal updater, this time on the support forum, here.
    The reply by moderator Wayne Mery says:
    "It will update when we turn on the updates. We don't yet know when that will be. Might be in 1-2 weeks, or it might be next month."
    Huh, what? :confused:
    That is quite confusing, as the 60.2.1 release notes say "Thunderbird version 60.2.1 provides an automatic update from Thunderbird version 52." Based on that information, one would expect the update to be available now, and not in 1-2 weeks or next month.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I am on version 52.9.1. I can´t update to 60.x anyway. I briefly tried version 60 as a download, didn´t like it much and rolled back an image.

Is there any indication how long this version will be ´safe´ to use ? It´s bit like LibreOffice that also has a very different new version, but I just prefer the 5.3.x version. Newer is not always better.

5. Stupendous Man

Keep an eye on the security advisories for Thunderbird.
    Vulnerabilities were fixed in Thunderbird 60 and 60.2.1.
    However, those advisories say "In general, these flaws cannot be exploited through email in the Thunderbird product because scripting is disabled when reading mail, but are potentially risks in browser or browser-like contexts."
    Regarding LibreOffice, keep an eye on those security advisories as well.
    A few vulnerabilities were addressed since LibreOffice 5.3.x.

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks all for your replies!
    I too cannot get the 60.2.1 via internal updater.

Yes, I fully agree: it is confusing ...

-----
    For now I think I will stay with 52.9.1. (I could get the 60.2.1 64-bit manually).

-----

Thanks my friend. I didn't know about that Dutch site and forum there. Good to know. Thank you!

7. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

That's the crucial point, indeed. Javascript support for mail reading was removed in TB 3. It's even impossible to manually re-enable it. The javascript.enabled switch in about:config only applies to RSS and chats.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Stupendous Man ,

Fortunately LibreOffice is not used for accessing the internet ! Although indirectly ... but I use outbound filtering in the firewall.

Yes, there are risks when one does not update. But do those clients always need to get bigger and bigger ? I know I kept that old MS Word (2003?) as it was (except for an addition to read newer formats) on my Windows XP machine, which is currently broken/hardware failure.

It has been a while since I checked out version 60. Anyone who wants to comment on experiences ? I doubt it is really getting better.

9. Stupendous Man

I found a post at the mozillaZine Thunderbird Support forum, in which WaltS48 says:
    "Updates to 60.2.1 were disabled after a problem was discovered. They have been enabled again. You should be able to update from TB 52.9.1 using Help > About Thunderbird."

FanJ, can you confirm that, by now, 52.9.1 automatically updated to 60.2.1, or that checking for updates in About Thunderbird offers the update?

10. Stupendous Man

Hi Victek,
    I noticed some recent posts at the mozillaZine Thunderbird Support forum.

Moderator James writes:
    "The Win64 builds of Thunderbird 60.0 are Not officially supported which is why they are not listed on https://www.thunderbird.net/thunderbird/all/
    Thunderbird changed it's build process to move it into line with the Firefox process. A side effect is a 64bit build appearing in the release folders by accident.
    Win64 Releases of Thunderbird may not be officially supported until next year. So use that Win64 Thunderbird 60.0 at your own risk."

Ed1 asks:
    "[...] I am wondering what you meant by the 64-bit version of TB not being officially supported."

To which wsmwk replies:
    "It means several things, including but not limited to:
    * It isn't feature complete - somethings are known to not work, and there is currently no rush to fix them
    * 64bit builds don't get manual testing before we ship, like we do for our other builds
    * There isn't an update path to automatically move users from 32bit to 64bit
    * Bug reports specific to 64bit, if any, may not get the much attention compared to other bug reports"

11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Stupendous Man,
    No, I don't get it by manually checking via the internal updater (I don't let it automatically check for updates). I guess more patience is needed.

12. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much for your report, FanJ.
    I guess WaltS48 was mistaken, where he said updates to 60.2.1 have been enabled again. I suppose Wayne Mery was right, where he said it might be 1-2 weeks, or even next month.
    Oh well.

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

@ronjor
    Hi Ron,
    Are you still on TB 52.9.1? Does the internal updater give you 60.2.1?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No. Downloaded 60.2.1 and installed over the top.
    It never did while I was using it.

15. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

OK, thanks.

16. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

17. Stupendous Man

Thanks for the heads up, WildByDesign.

Even though it will be a Halloween release, I suppose it can't be any scarier than 60.0 and 60.2.1.
    According to what I see on the Thunderbird Support Forum, there are many issues with 60.0 and 60.2.1.
    60.2.1 is not offered as an update to 52.9.1 though Thunderbird's internal updater, even though the 60.2.1 release notes say it is.

In one thread, contributor Airmail wrote, "Do yourself a favor and avoid version 60.x for now. So far it is a train wreck!"
    Contributor Toad-Hall wrote, "Agree with Airmail. If you are happy with 52.9.1 then I'd stay put for now as all is working ok. They are trying to iron out some gremlins."

Let's hope most of those gremlins are ironed out in 63.3.0, and let's see if it will really provide an automatic update from Thunderbird version 52.9.1, as the 60.3.0 release notes say.

18. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@Stupendous Man You're welcome. I've read some issues as well that users have been posting. But for whatever reason, 60.x+ have all been rock solid on my machine and I had even run many of the build candidates along the way as well. I haven't experienced any issues yet. I use the newer maildir storage type, so I was actually anticipating some issues.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Not over here ....

21. Stupendous Man

If you mean that you don't get Thunderbird 60.3.0 offered via the internal updater as an update from Thunderbird version 52, as the release notes say should be provided, you're not the only one not to get the update offered.
    Frans posted the same information (in Dutch): 'About Thunderbird says no new update is available'.

Perhaps 60.3.0 is considered still not good enough to be offered via the internal updater?
    Very well, but if so, then the release notes shouldn't say "Thunderbird version 60.3.0 provides an automatic update from Thunderbird version 52."

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I received the update via the internal updater immediately; maybe they are rolling it out gradually? In any case the 60.3.0 installer can be downloaded and installed "over the top".

23. Stupendous Man

Ah, that's good, thanks.
    Was that as an update from 52.9.1, or from 60.2.1?
    If it was as an update from 60.2.1, perhaps 60.x is updated, but not yet 52.9.1?

Yes, of course, thanks. But in case 60.3.0 is considered still not good enough to be offered as an update from 52.9.1, it may be debatable whether updating 52.9.1 to 60.3.0 is the best idea, or if waiting for 60.4(?) may be better.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I was running 64 bit v60.2.1 when the update to 60.3.0 was offered.

25. Stupendous Man

Ah, thanks for that information, Victek.
    Let's see if also users running 52.9.1 will get 60.3.0 offered, or not yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.